Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 10:00 AM

41 posts, read 118,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakmayle View Post
In indianapolis, the martin luther king jr st. As its called of course has a portion of it that is located in a bad part of town, however at least some of the street is located in downtown indianapolis in a decent area. The thing that gets me though is that the entire street isnt named for mlk, the same street also is called michigan rd in some areas. I have noticed that with mlk streets and other streets named for black people, in most cases they have located these streets in poor black areas and many times the streets themselves are in poor shape. Surprisingly though many cities still dont have a street named for him...louisville, kentucky now has renamed i65 for him but prior to that the only street that beared his name wasnt even a street really it was one block downtown that lied in front of a federal building. However in winston salem, nc, martin l king blvd is a very clean and nicely put together street and also is the location of winston salem state university.

i agree with you on that part that most MLK boulivards are poorly taken care of

vision-quest
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 10:00 AM

26 posts, read 168,605 times
Martin Luther King Dr. in Indianapolis is horrible! I don't know why they put it in the hood.

Old 07-04-2008, 10:06 AM

41 posts, read 118,296 times
i think more cities should have a Rosa Parks Boulivard like Detroit, because she deserves some more respect aswell

vision-quest

Old 07-04-2008, 11:42 AM

7,048 posts, read 19,200,955 times
MLK Drive in Jersey City isn't in one of the more desirable neighborhoods. In fact it's in one of the scariest.

You can take a look through Google Streetview. This is the MLK Drive Light Rail Station.
402 martin luther king dr, jersey city, nj - Google Maps

Old 07-04-2008, 04:32 PM

52,568 posts, read 47,690,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
MLK in both Houston and Washington DC are pretty bad. There's an old saying that if you want to find the ghetto of a major city, look for MLK drive.
You can say the same thing about Dallas, too, Spade. It's really sad, and certainly not what Dr. King had in mind when he "had a dream".

Old 07-05-2008, 05:03 PM

210 posts, read 1,136,770 times
Default nice areas in ATL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
Atlanta is not to bad. The Capitol Building is located here.
Then again, are there ANY good areas in the city of Atlanta.
Buckhead, Virginia Highland, Little Five points, North Atlanta, Sandy Springs etc.

Old 07-05-2008, 07:47 PM

37 posts, read 180,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
MLK in both Houston and Washington DC are pretty bad. There's an old saying that if you want to find the ghetto of a major city, look for MLK drive.

Thats a Chris Rock Saying and its true. Anywhere I lived MLS St, dr, Ave has been baad

Old 07-05-2008, 08:51 PM

539 posts, read 1,798,749 times
Riverside California has the best "Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd." in the country. It seperates (roughly) the University Heights area (mostly working to middle class) from the Canyon Crest area (mostly middle to upper-class). The best example of the city's perspective of MLK can be seen on this site in a photo of Riverside's MLK High School. Notice the surrounding homes? Not ghetto by a long shot.

Old 07-05-2008, 11:42 PM

7,048 posts, read 19,200,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSwede View Post
Thats a Chris Rock Saying and its true. Anywhere I lived MLS St, dr, Ave has been baad
Yeah no kidding. It's where all the realtors live!!!

Old 07-06-2008, 12:18 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,028,608 times
MLK Drive in Waco basically divides the Downtown from East Waco (Black Side). One side is beautiful, the other is ugly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.