Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2008, 03:46 PM

209 posts, read 590,063 times

Advertisements

Two cities that I have lived in did not have streets named for MLK: Tucson and Sacramento. Tucson isn't a big surprise: the black population there is negligible and there is only a tiny area that could even be called an historically black neighborhood. But Sacramento has long had a large black community, so it's a little more surprising that no MLK street has ever appeared there.

Both of these cities, however, do have something else named for MLK: Sacramento - a public library branch; Tucson - a public housing building for senior citizens.

Also: several years ago, I saw a documentary on HBO called "MLK Boulevard." The film explores what life is like on the various MLK streets around the country. It also covered the politics behind the renaming of these streets, particularly a contentious and failed effort to create an MLK Blvd. in Muncie, IN just a few years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 05:32 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,371,085 times
Pittsburgh:
Martin Luther King Jr. East Busway

Old 07-09-2008, 09:03 PM

979 posts, read 2,092,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin J View Post
Two cities that I have lived in did not have streets named for MLK: Tucson and Sacramento. Tucson isn't a big surprise: the black population there is negligible and there is only a tiny area that could even be called an historically black neighborhood. But Sacramento has long had a large black community, so it's a little more surprising that no MLK street has ever appeared there.

Both of these cities, however, do have something else named for MLK: Sacramento - a public library branch; Tucson - a public housing building for senior citizens.

Also: several years ago, I saw a documentary on HBO called "MLK Boulevard." The film explores what life is like on the various MLK streets around the country. It also covered the politics behind the renaming of these streets, particularly a contentious and failed effort to create an MLK Blvd. in Muncie, IN just a few years ago.

Sacramento does have a street name after MLK. It's called MLK Jr Blvd in Oak Park. It stretches from Broadway and MLK to the south area, Franklin and MLK.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:41 AM

1,071 posts, read 4,451,460 times
most mlk's are bad and in the heart of the ghetto; it's a weird dichotomy. stl's mlk is the worst imo.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:53 AM

1,193 posts, read 3,992,205 times
I don't understand the reasoning for cities wanting to change a road name to Martin Luther King anything. It is like some twisted inside joke...on the other hand, maybe it is a courteous flag for incoming residents:

"Don't live here unless you don't mind buying a new lawnmower every month and having your kids see drug deals go down in front of your house."

I read something awhile back about my town wanting to change a street to MLK. Which one? Well the one all the hookers and coke deals go down on of course!

Old 07-10-2008, 11:00 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
Evansville, IN has an MLK drive that is not in a bad area.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:01 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Martin Luther King Drive in Cincinnati is part of one contiguous stretch of asphalt street that changes names four times as it crosses town. I believe it was formerly St. Clair Avenue, and runs past the University of Cincinnati.

http://www.enquirer.com/editions/200...or_dreams.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cle440 View Post
I was in Cleveland driving on MLK Blvd it goes N to S on the Eastside of Cleveland and it goes through a lot of rough areas. [snip] It also goes through a park area which is kind of nice but its surrounded by bad areas
There's an episode of the old TV show Route 66 -- this one guest starring a very young Robert Redford -- shot in the park when MLK Blvd. was called Liberty Street. It showcases a lot of the park's beautiful features like the stone overpasses, etc.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:49 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,304,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
MLK in both Houston and Washington DC are pretty bad. There's an old saying that if you want to find the ghetto of a major city, look for MLK drive.
Sad, But true..The same goes in Baltimore.

Old 07-10-2008, 02:43 PM

1,126 posts, read 4,561,398 times
Martin Luther King Blvd in roxbury/dorchester cuts through some of bostons highest violent crime/murder areas. Lots of public housing too.

Old 07-10-2008, 02:58 PM

426 posts, read 957,901 times
In Seattle it's better than it used to be, but still so-so.

In Tacoma it's in the main drag on the Hilltop, which is arguably the worst 'hood in the PacNW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.