Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 11:40 AM

18 posts, read 53,296 times

Advertisements

I think one appeal to city life is being able to go out without everyone knowing who you are and your business. I don't think I could live in a small town because I like to have some privacy. I want to choose what people get to know about me ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 12:54 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,380,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
It boils down to this: If you are a boring person, you will enjoy a boring environment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
I've found that boring people flock to cities to pretend they're exciting. Exciting people can make entertainment where they go.
I think people who make sweeping generalizations flock to message boards.

Old 01-14-2008, 01:30 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,944,069 times
Historically, cities have always been places of opportunity. They still are.

Old 01-14-2008, 06:12 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,082,651 times
I like that I don't need to own a car, that I live in a city where people all over the world flock to either as visitors or immigrants, I like the restaurants, theater, etc options in my neighborhood. I like that I can see arthouse flicks in the theater, I like that I have museums and universities nearby. I like that I can go two miles up the street and listen to a renown University of Chicago professor(s) lecture on various scientific topics while drinking a beer every few months, ... and I like all those damn big buildings.

I tried living in a small college town for awhile, I hated it.

Old 01-14-2008, 06:46 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,555,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
I like that I don't need to own a car, that I live in a city where people all over the world flock to either as visitors or immigrants, I like the restaurants, theater, etc options in my neighborhood. I like that I can see arthouse flicks in the theater, I like that I have museums and universities nearby. I like that I can go two miles up the street and listen to a renown University of Chicago professor(s) lecture on various scientific topics while drinking a beer every few months, ... and I like all those damn big buildings.

I tried living in a small college town for awhile, I hated it.
If you don't mind my asking, which college town and why?

Old 02-26-2010, 10:56 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,178,585 times
What she said...........

If all goes well, I'll be doing the same in NYC.

I can spend the rest of my life without a car.

I really enjoy riding my Brown line. There is a certain place where it's heading towards the loop and you get to see this really amazing view of Chicago. I love going downtown. Although I don't like large crowds, I like the excitement.

I'm sitting back listening to jazz and just thinking about the city gives me good vibes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
blugh. I will never go back there again.

Basically, i have a short attention span, and living in Chicago I can just hop on the train or bus and go do pretty much whatever I want.

I can walk to the grocery store (several grocery stores actually), the bank, several restaurants, several spots to shop, get coffee, have a few drinks ... and stretching it a bit... the post office, a bookstore... the lake is two blocks away and the train is the same distance.

And if i'm really lazy - i can have my groceries delivered. beat that. haha

The best part is not having to deal with a car anymore.

Old 02-27-2010, 02:18 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,440,415 times
A lot of people, a lot of things to do, and I have many transportation options outside of owning a car. Also, there's a subtle story/history to every neighborhood and every block that I pass through and I love absorbing it. Cities just excite me.

Old 02-27-2010, 02:20 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,101,478 times
Personally, I can have fun and a great life in any size city. I don't have narrow parameters like most people in this respect.

I live in a big city because I like it alot (Houston) and would choose to live here over any other big city (except San Diego) but later in life I would love to live in a place like Jackson Hole, Truckee CA, Estes Park CO etc. with few people because of the solitude (usually) and natural beauty that is largely undisturbed

Old 02-27-2010, 12:35 PM

77 posts, read 228,098 times
Because ive had a very mixed bag growing up in a pristine suburb, while i appriciate the good schools and safety, living in a bubble suburb looses its appeal to a kid after about 5th or 6th grade. There is soooo little diversity of ethnicity, religion, economic background, personalities landscape. A major effect of alot of suburbs to me seems to be conformity and almost making any suburb anywhere look the same as any suburb anywhere. Many LA suburbs, CHicago suburbs, seattle suburbs, NY suburbs Boston suburbs, Dallas Suburbs, Boise Id suburbs, discount the landscape near each one they look and feel very similar. The City offers diversity, amenities, less pressure to conform, just a different feel, usually some more prevalant problems but your not immune from problems anywhere.

Old 02-27-2010, 05:36 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
I guess I just knew at an early age that wherever I lived, it needed to be in the heart of a large dense city.

I love the people watching, the huge amount of options, the activity, the crowds. I also really appreciate being able to hop a train to go everywhere and not deal with driving or traffic. I like being able to walk everywhere, not worry about drunk driving, be in the middle of action.

I don't mind going back to the suburbs and smaller areas where I grew up, it's actually really refreshing to go back a few times a year, but I"m always REALLY excited to get to come back to my condo in the city.

The strangest thing when I think about it is that growing up with a car in a smaller town, I would leave town and drive all over all the time. Now I'll suddenly realize that I can go MONTHS on end without ever leaving the city limits of Chicago and it never even crosses my mind. If I were to go back 15 years ago and tell me younger me that this would be my situation, I'd probably have thought myself crazy. I love it now though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.