Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 11:23 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,454,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottaq View Post
why is florida grouped with the northeast? due to so many transplants? than north carolina might as well be thrown in there too!
Please stop.....

The assumption that NC is the "next Florida" is so painfully exaggerated, unless there's no North Carolina outside the Research Triangle and Charlotte. Even then, those two metros are still southern! Also, if you throw NC in, might as well throw Virginia, Georgia, and even South Carolina in! We're both southern AND East Coast, end of story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 12:07 AM

10,238 posts, read 19,509,977 times
Quote:
=valsteele;38796287]What do you think? Anything you'd change?
All in all it looks pretty good to me. Of course, no map of regions is ever going to completely satisfy everyone. But if I had to make any suggestion at all, concerning the place I obviously would be most interested in, it would be agreeing with an earlier poster who said the very upper Texas panhandle (generally that part north of and possibly including Amarillo) probably belongs more with the Midwest.

And I would push the "South" border in Texas west to the "straight-line" border with New Mexico. That area of Texas definitely doesn't fit the physical image of the South, but the culture itself is surprisingly Southern in generalities, as it was overwhelmingly pioneers from the southeast who originally settled it and they brought with them their history and culture. Although that part of Texas might look topographically more like eastern New Mexico, the real measure of a state (or area of one) is the cultural factors. And the Rocky Mountain states and those of the interior Southwest (i.e, New Mexico and Arizona) didn't influence Texas in the least in that regard. Most of the states in the West region today, were not states at all when Texas' basic character was being formed. Perhaps most importantly is the regional self-identification aspect. Even most west Texans consider themselves to live in the South and think of themselves as Southerners; something that drops off radically in the states to the west, where a Western identity abruptly become the dominant one.

The trans-pecos "horn" and the SW border areas look perfect.

But again, all in all, it looks very good!

Last edited by TexasReb; 03-13-2015 at 12:19 AM..

Old 03-13-2015, 02:02 AM

2,068 posts, read 2,901,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
What do you think? Anything you'd change?
Yes.

-Rename "East Coast" as "Northeast."

-South Florida should be grouped with the South, as should all of Texas except for the far western trans Pecos areas, some of the areas along the Mexican border, and perhaps the Panhandle. Maryland, Delaware, and Northern Virginia all belong in the South.

-I also believe that there should be more than 5-regions in your map.

Old 03-13-2015, 06:26 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,334,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Yes.

-Rename "East Coast" as "Northeast."

-South Florida should be grouped with the South, as should all of Texas except for the far western trans Pecos areas, some of the areas along the Mexican border, and perhaps the Panhandle. Maryland, Delaware, and Northern Virginia all belong in the South.

-I also believe that there should be more than 5-regions in your map.
No they should not be. Especially Deleware and Maryland which were border states. If anything if you don't agree then at least there should be another region for these certain areas. They should not be grouped with states such as Georgia, Alabama or South Carolina. That's ridiculously ignorant.

Old 03-13-2015, 07:54 AM

183 posts, read 247,613 times
If you wanted to create a micro-region, as you did with South Florida, you could have colored it a lighter shade of it's surrounding region. I don't see how South Florida is that far removed from the rest of the South to group it with the East Coast. Same could be done with Texas along a north/south boundary from Dallas to Houston westward. Light orange.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:28 AM

3,750 posts, read 4,927,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncey View Post
If you wanted to create a micro-region, as you did with South Florida, you could have colored it a lighter shade of it's surrounding region. I don't see how South Florida is that far removed from the rest of the South to group it with the East Coast. Same could be done with Texas along a north/south boundary from Dallas to Houston westward. Light orange.
It's mostly, like I said, because South Florida never really had a large endemic southern population. Prior to 1920 its population was tiny compared to today.

It might make more sense to say it's part of the Caribbean than part of the Northeast though.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:33 AM

728 posts, read 965,796 times
I think a lot of folks are missing why Miami would be considered East Coast along with the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic. It comes down to the population/culture and not geography.

To put it simply, most people in the Northeast come from relatively recent immigrant backgrounds. The same cannot be said for the "South" outside of Florida.

Although people from Miami definitely call themselves Southerners, there are more West Indians there as opposed to African Americans. Which mirrors the Upper East Coast. Not to mention the Irish and Italian populations of the East Coast and voting habits as well.

I have never heard someone argue outside of semantics that Georgia is "East Coast" by any stretch of imagination. That is solid South. It's more than just geography. There is such thing as East Coast culture.

Same reason that "the West" is different from the "West Coast".

Old 03-13-2015, 10:23 AM

281 posts, read 709,157 times
I would include the Sacramento and San Joaquin valleys in the West Coast and make the Sierra Nevadas the cutoff.

Old 03-13-2015, 10:25 AM

707 posts, read 740,878 times
I do like how West Texas is put in the West. I disagree with the lower Texas-Mexico border and Eastern New Mexico as western, they definitely have that southern feel.

Old 03-13-2015, 10:31 AM

3,750 posts, read 4,927,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzle-Chest View Post
I would include the Sacramento and San Joaquin valleys in the West Coast and make the Sierra Nevadas the cutoff.
I don't know, places like Redding and Bakersfield seem more "inland West" than "West Coast" to me. I think they are more similar to Reno or Flagstaff than to San Francisco or Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.