Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2015, 02:49 PM

4 posts, read 3,027 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I have been on a search and we can't seem to decide exactly where to move in a few years. I've spent my childhood and a few years of my adult life on the outskirts of Philadelphia and am ready for a change. Same for her too. We are looking for a place that hits on as many of the following points as possible.

Weather
  • Sunny/Party Cloudy most of the time
    [**]Preferably more than here, where we get around 200-210 sunny days a year. I have diagnosed SAD and really this is the most important factor of the weather to me. After looking at this, The PNW looks awesome and hits most of my points but overcast weather really really gets me down if it goes on for more than a few days especially during winter
  • Year round mild weather/warmer weather.
    [**]Can actually get as hot as it wants, but we do not want a whole lot of days to go below 40 degrees. A little snow here and there wouldn't bother us too much)
  • Occasional rain (Gardening is one of my hobbies and I do like the occasiona rain)

Environment
  • As little of mosquitos and gnats as possible
  • Lots of outdoor activity (We spend most of our free time outdoors)
    [**]That being said, we love hilly/mountainous landscapes, Nearby oceans a plus but not necessary
  • I also prefer a greener colored landscape. That's one thing I really miss when I go to Colorado. I suppose this fits in with the occasional rain thing.

Activities
  • Preferably not more than 1-1.5 hours from any city and airport
  • Lots of restaurants within 30 minutes
  • Again, lots of nearby parks for outdoor activity
  • My girlfriend and I love wine tasting so that would be really nice for us

Living
  • IT Job within an hour or so of the location. I commute one hour per day so a longer commute is no big deal to me
  • She is a dental assistant and she is able to find jobs in her field fairly easily.
  • We want to be able to afford a smaller but newer home on at least 1/4 acre of land. We don't mind living in suburbs or the country to be able to afford a home. (In fact, we would prefer suburbs or country) Current budget for a home is around 300-400k, but I wouldn't mind saving a little longer for a more expensive home and staying in an apartment)

Thanks a lot for taking a look at this! So far I think something in Northern California would suit our needs, but I'm not sure if I have left anything out or if there are specific places in Northern California that you could recommend. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 02:53 PM

13,824 posts, read 29,805,399 times
Auburn, CA?

Old 03-13-2015, 03:01 PM

4 posts, read 3,027 times
Wow that was actually the best two word response I have ever gotten. That looks like it fits the bill in every way possible. I even get the little bit of snow that I wanted (2 inches). Nice! Any other awesome places I can keep in mind?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.