Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 11:16 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,797,555 times

Advertisements

When traffic is congested: The worst is Los Angeles.

Conversely, when traffic isn't congested, the best is Los Angeles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 12:14 PM

977 posts, read 1,010,696 times
What about seattle freeway infrastructure how does it compare?

Old 03-14-2015, 12:21 PM

10,743 posts, read 23,798,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle4321 View Post
What about seattle freeway infrastructure how does it compare?
Certainly not among the best, and not among the worst either. The topography hinders a lot of freeway building there. That part heading into Seattle on I-5 north where it merges with the I-90 collector lanes where I-5 has only two lanes of thru traffic, that was very poorly designed. Seattle has bad traffic but so does nearly every other city of its size. I-5 also has crappy pavement in spots, especially south of town, they need to resurface it.

That dismantling of the Alaskan Way Viaduct and new tunnel construction for WA Hwy 99 sure does seem like a fiasco, right up there with Boston's big dig.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 03-14-2015 at 01:27 PM..

Old 03-14-2015, 12:23 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Pittsburgh and Philadelphia both have highways that were grandfathered into the Interstate system, and no other parallel options nearby. If you want to enter Pittsburgh from the east or west, you have no choice but to use I-376, which is a set of cattle chutes in both directions. If you want to enter Philadelphia from the northwest, you have no choice but to use I-76, which is a set of cattle chutes as well. Not every highway in either city is antiquated, though. I-279, which enters Pittsburgh from the north, and I-95, which enters Philadelphia from the southwest and northeast, are nice Interstates designed to modern standards.

Old 03-14-2015, 07:37 PM

707 posts, read 749,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Yeah, Gallup is just a tiny blip on the radar. Get out of the desert into some older cities around the country and you'll understand just how bad freeway infrastructure can get.
Perhaps someday. I've lived a while in the Metroplex, but I wouldn't describe the infrastructure there as "bad".

I just thought it was anomalous that such a "blip" could have such bad jams.

Old 03-14-2015, 09:40 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,882,037 times
Seattle's I-5 freeway (the downtown portion of the freeway) is definitely pretty terrible. Seattle's hilly topography makes designing a freeway difficult, but despite this, I-5 could definitely be planned better. I'm sure city planners would love to tear it down and redesign the whole downtown freeway system in order to make it more effective to handle traffic, and then place a lid over it for a city park, but unfortunately too much traffic relies on I-5 to ever close that freeway down.

Old 03-15-2015, 03:12 AM

2,089 posts, read 3,904,323 times
I agree with Philly, what a nightmare trying to get anywhere. Smells bad too.

Old 03-15-2015, 04:00 PM

707 posts, read 749,225 times
Speaking of older cities with bad infrastructure, no one thought Albuquerque would ever get as big as it did. Consequently, when the southwest boomed, a lot of the city developed west of the river atop a mesa and on the other side of a farming community (South Valley, NM). This makes building anything wider than a two lane road particularly challenging. This is compounded by the city's lack of funds, and the fact that the west side's grid looks like someone threw a wad of spaghetti on the floor.

Now with a metro estimated at over 1 million, the Interstates and surface streets alike get all chocked out (stop and go freeways, 3 or 4 cycles to clear an intersection, etc.). The city lacks a loop, and between the river, mesa, mountains, reservations, and the Air Force base, there isn't a lot of places you could put one. The city did manage to put a "spur", an extremely poorly-built freeway called Paseo del Norte (left-hand exits, at-grade rail crossing, missing exits, no full interchange with the Interstate). They recently tried to rectify the latter, but could only afford to shoehorn in a dollar-store flyover. It still jams itself and the Interstate due to a complete lack of any approach to the flyover.

Paseo Del Norte @ I-25

Compare that to properly constructed flyovers in El Paso, TX, here, here, and here.
Note the approaches on each, and lack thereof on Paseo Del Norte.

Old 03-15-2015, 04:19 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Sadly, far too many cities have terrible infrastructure. This is America!

Old 03-15-2015, 10:14 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,516,620 times
I'm going to second Tucson. I-10 and I-19 just skim the outskirts of the city.

Otherwise, New York City is the obvious answer. However, since most New Yorker don't drive, it doesn't really need freeways like other cities do.

Ithaca, albeit a small city, is not served by an interstate at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.