Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 09:11 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,249,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieG View Post
[i][b]This is ridiculous. NYC in and of itself is in NYS. NYS has suburbs that belong to its own State.
Wrong. The strong majority of NYC metro area suburbs are not in NY State. It isn't even close.

And the NY suburbs that are in NY State are a small proportion of the overall state population, while the NY State suburbs that are in Connecticut and NJ are 90% of their respective state populations.

So, knowing that suburbs drive median income, it's logical that states which are 90% suburbs would have higher median incomes than states which are only 20% suburbs. And this is even though NY State suburbs tend to, on average, be more expensive than NJ suburbs. But since NJ is 90% suburban NY, and NY is only 20% suburban NY, obviously NJ will have higher medians.

NY State could have the richest suburbs on the planet, it will never have a higher median income than NJ and CT. It would be impossible, unless Upstate and NYC were removed from NY State.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 09:55 AM

1,293 posts, read 1,209,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Wrong. The strong majority of NYC metro area suburbs are not in NY State. It isn't even close.

And the NY suburbs that are in NY State are a small proportion of the overall state population, while the NY State suburbs that are in Connecticut and NJ are 90% of their respective state populations.

So, knowing that suburbs drive median income, it's logical that states which are 90% suburbs would have higher median incomes than states which are only 20% suburbs. And this is even though NY State suburbs tend to, on average, be more expensive than NJ suburbs. But since NJ is 90% suburban NY, and NY is only 20% suburban NY, obviously NJ will have higher medians.

NY State could have the richest suburbs on the planet, it will never have a higher median income than NJ and CT. It would be impossible, unless Upstate and NYC were removed from NY State.
Strong? Strong what? The richest suburb of New York is Westchester County. These include White Plains, Yonkers, Scarsdale and others. I am not speaking to their wealth or median income - that's not what I'm arguing. I am responding to your "there are no NYS suburbs! This is wrong, there are some. Not once did I say NJ and CT areas does not include any of this. No where.

Richest Neighborhoods Around New York City - Business Insider

Old 03-15-2015, 10:04 AM

And, again, NYC's suburbs are primarily not in NY State opined by NOLA101

NYC suburbs are primarily not in NYS, when we have Westchester County that is a suburb of NYS and is in NYS (Scarsdale, Harrison, White Plains, Croton on Hudson, Long Island, (Hamptons) all in NYS? But then again, NYS doesn't have any suburbs of its own?

Old 03-15-2015, 04:29 PM

92,087 posts, read 122,294,404 times
Quote:
And, again, NYC's suburbs are primarily not in NY State opined by NOLA101

NYC suburbs are primarily not in NYS, when we have Westchester County that is a suburb of NYS and is in NYS (Scarsdale, Harrison, White Plains, Croton on Hudson, Long Island, (Hamptons) all in NYS? But then again, NYS doesn't have any suburbs of its own?
I believe what he/she is trying to say is that a lot of wealth in the metro isn't included within NYS due to having a good portion of the metro lying outside of the state.

Old 03-15-2015, 04:51 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,158,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
To suggest any of these states are "struggling" is a bit much in my opinion.
Illinois is rather broke at the moment.

Old 03-15-2015, 04:57 PM

282 posts, read 348,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Most "New Yorkers" living in the suburbs (meaning residents of the NYC metro) don't live in NY State; they live in NJ and CT. So the list makes sense to me, as CT and NJ are ranked near the top. NY State wouldn't be similarly ranked, obviously, because it's an enormous state that gets tons of immigrants. Those types of states will never be at the top in terms of median household income.

And, again, NYC's suburbs are primarily not in NY State. And we all know suburbs, moreso than urban areas or rural areas, drive median household income.
Actually, it's just that 50% of NYS is rust belt. Downstate NY would make that list if it were its own state.

Old 03-15-2015, 05:05 PM

282 posts, read 348,458 times
And the list changes if you use per capita income

Old 03-15-2015, 08:20 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,890,781 times
Quote:
Strong? Strong what? The richest suburb of New York is Westchester County. These include White Plains, Yonkers, Scarsdale and others. I am not speaking to their wealth or median income - that's not what I'm arguing. I am responding to your "there are no NYS suburbs! This is wrong, there are some. Not once did I say NJ and CT areas does not include any of this. No where.

Richest Neighborhoods Around New York City - Business Insider
The richest county in the NY metro is not Westchester, it's either Morris, Hunterdon, or Somerset in NJ, maybe Fairfield CT. Those 3 in NJ routinely make the NATION's top 10-15 wealthiest. Westchester's not up there with them. http://wtop.com/news/2014/04/america...es-in-dc-area/ By default this means the wealthiest county in the NYC area is Hunterdon, though on municipality levels Westchester towns may come very high.

Of course there are NYS suburbs. I think people tend to forget about Long Island and parts of what we around here consider "Upstate" (because what those from further upstate consider Upstate does not match our definition ).

Last edited by JerseyGirl415; 03-15-2015 at 08:29 PM..

Old 03-15-2015, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I believe what he/she is trying to say is that a lot of wealth in the metro isn't included within NYS due to having a good portion of the metro lying outside of the state.

I'm not speaking about the nature of the thread (median income/wealth). She said "most of NYC's suburbs are not IN the State of New York. Period. How could she overlook the State's own suburbs. To someone who doesn't know New York City or State would not know these other counties exist because she said we don't have any. Her wording could have been better. I don't argue what the jist of thread is about. I speak to the false notion (she offered) that in NYC, the only suburbs to be encountered will not be part of NYS. Wrong.

Done....

Old 03-15-2015, 10:10 PM

Sorry, but the Richest County in NYS that is a NYS suburb of NYC is Westchester County!

http://www.planningchautauqua.com/pd...0Income%29.pdf

scan this list to see the per capita income for all counties in NYS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.