Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 02:34 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,598,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
=Maintainschaos;38812515] Not sure how one would arrive at that conclusion other than through false homology. But the bigger point was if you can't take the time to learn how a word is correctly pronounced you may be very well inclined to view it differently that everyone else. E.g. if someone all the sudden decided to put the emphasis on the second syllable of the word "Texas" despite the fact that first syllable is emphasized, one might ass-ume it sounds lyrically different than if it were correctly pronounced. Not a fact I'd be too proud to proclaim. We're not talking something obscure here.

Here's a matching roll of the eyes and one to grow on! Naw, let's make it three!

Now then, to the point. I can't see why you are making much ado about nothing! Who the hell ever said one shouldn't take the time to learn how to spell a state properly??? But pronunciation is a whole different critter.

Uhhh, did you not "get" that the whole point of the thread is how you personally pronounce it? And you are taking great liberties in ASS-uming (apparently) that there is a standard, generic, way to pronounce any given state name. Or any other place in the world, for that matter. Unless, of course, you want everyone to talk like some Beta out of Huxley's Brave New World.

For instance, many people in the northeast pronounce "Cuba" as "Cuber". Do I think it sounds a little silly? Of course I do...but that doesn't mean it is "wrong." I pronounce "salmon" as "saLmon", not "sa'mon. Am I wrong? It might sound funny to some, no problem. But can anyone point out an English language rule that says the consonant after a vowel is silent...or something along those lines?

Well, bottom line is, some people are walking examples of humorless, self-didactic, self-absorbed, sticks in the mud. The type who would bring funeral shrouds to an Easter Egg hunt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 02:40 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
These state names are lyrical to me:

Mississippi
Colorado
Montana
Indiana
Alabama
Extra point: Maryland

These sound harsh or weird to me:

New Hampshire
Wyoming
Utah
Idaho
Illinois (firstly, because it starts with "Ill" which is sort of sickly, and secondly, because I never know whether the "s" on the end is silent or not)
Growing up in Illinois I can tell you with the utmost confidence "There is no 'noise' in Illinois."

Old 03-14-2015, 02:52 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,397,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Here's a matching roll of the eyes and one to grow on! Naw, let's make it three!

Now then, to the point. I can't see why you are making much ado about nothing! Who the hell ever said one shouldn't take the time to learn how to spell a state properly??? But pronunciation is a whole different critter.

Uhhh, did you not "get" that the whole point of the thread is how you personally pronounce it? And you are taking great liberties in ASS-uming (apparently) that there is a standard, generic, way to pronounce any given state name. Or any other place in the world, for that matter. Unless, of course, you want everyone to talk like some Beta out of Huxley's Brave New World.

For instance, many people in the northeast pronounce "Cuba" as "Cuber". Do I think it sounds a little silly? Of course I do...but that doesn't mean it is "wrong." I pronounce "salmon" as "saLmon", not "sa'mon. Am I wrong? It might sound funny to some, no problem. But can anyone point out an English language rule that says the consonant after a vowel is silent...or something along those lines?

Well, bottom line is, some people are walking examples of humorless, self-didactic, self-absorbed, sticks in the mud. The type who would bring funeral shrouds to an Easter Egg hunt.
Sorry that you went on a diatribe for no reason. Nobody said anything about spelling words correctly whatsoever. In any event, I played along and provided my list. Sorry for derailing your thread, but I do think pronunciation will/does play a big role in whether a word sounds lyrical or not, and most languages have rules or at least guidelines for pronunciation, which can be found in most dictionaries.

Last edited by Maintainschaos; 03-14-2015 at 03:00 PM..

Old 03-14-2015, 03:17 PM

591 posts, read 781,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
LOL I knew already.

But I hear people mispronounce it pretty often.
I don't get why, it should be a word we are a custumed to. Like how we say phone like fone, or knife like nife.

Favourites:
Delaware
Alabama
Indiana
Tennissee
Iowa

Idk why I just like how they sound.

Old 03-14-2015, 03:26 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,598,982 times
Quote:
=Maintainschaos;38817228]Sorry that you went on a diatribe for no reason. Nobody said anything about spelling words correctly whatsoever. In any event, I played along and provided my list. Sorry for derailing your thread, but I do think pronunciation will/does play a big role in whether a word sounds lyrical or not, and most languages have rules or at least guidelines for pronunciation, which can be found in most dictionaries.
Uhhhh, your previous posts contradict this one. Go back and read what you wrote. You said that people should learn to pronounce words correctly. Right? And that doing so is largely based upon proper spelling of the said word.

Old 03-14-2015, 05:39 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,304,433 times
I think that Michigan is just about the most lyrically lovely state name of all. Such a soft, pretty, Native American word. It just rolls off of the tongue.

A beautiful name for a beautiful state!

Old 03-14-2015, 05:57 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,488,840 times
I never liked the name of Alabama, actually. Just sounds a little ugly, IMO.

I like Iowa, Tennessee, Georgia, Massachusetts, Virginia, and Wyoming.

Old 03-14-2015, 06:00 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
There are so many beautiful states' names as well as place names in the US - and many of them are Native American and just roll off the tongue. I like that.

Old 03-14-2015, 06:04 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Not sure how one would arrive at that conclusion other than through false homology. But the bigger point was (probably need a comma here) if you can't take the time to learn how a word is correctly pronounced (definitely need a comma here) you may be very well inclined to view it differently that everyone else. E.g. (definitely need a comma here) if someone all the sudden decided to put the emphasis on the second syllable of the word "Texas" despite the fact that first syllable is emphasized, one might ass-ume it sounds lyrically different than if it were correctly pronounced. Not a fact I'd be too proud to proclaim. We're not talking something obscure here.
By the way, just a little advice - if you're going to go on a sarcastic tear about someone's pronunciation, you may want to be sure your grammar and punctuation are in order.

Oh, and what does homology have to do with the topic at hand? It's not a word that's generally used regarding grammar, though I guess you may be using creative license.

See what a pompous ass I sound like? Take note.

Old 03-14-2015, 06:27 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post

We do? First I've heard "Cuber."

Sorry, but you say you don't mean to offend in this thread but what you're doing is saying to some, "sorry (but not sorry), I think your state name sounds ugly" and then get defensive when some question you. Not buying it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.