Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 12:15 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,516,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
I think the big cities have a lot of pretentiousness, of course some big cities have more pretentiousness than others.

Pretentious: New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, San Francisco, Dallas, San Diego, Phoenix, Las Vegas (duh!)
Unpretentious: Portland (Oregon)
I disagree.

Cheesy, tasteless, kitschy, and lacking substance, yes! But I've never thought of Vegas as pretentious. I feel like the Las Vegans know and admit they're living in fake, plastic, Barbie house of a city. As horrid as it is, Vegas at least knows what it is.

Portland, however, is the opposite. The people who live there act like it's a cross between Seattle and the Garden of Eden. Whereas in reality, it's more like a rainier, less diverse Sacramento. For a city full of creative types, it doesn't offer all that much in terms of the arts and culture. Perhaps I have it wrong and I should spend more time there, but those are just my impressions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 12:25 AM

128 posts, read 222,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
Another thing I tend to notice is that the most pretentious people in any given city tend to be the TRANSPLANTS who come there to fulfill an agenda, thinking they are supposed to be that way.
I agree with you on this. The most pretentious people here in Seattle seem to be the transplants.

Old 03-19-2015, 01:42 AM

206 posts, read 259,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
I disagree.

Cheesy, tasteless, kitschy, and lacking substance, yes! But I've never thought of Vegas as pretentious. I feel like the Las Vegans know and admit they're living in fake, plastic, Barbie house of a city. As horrid as it is, Vegas at least knows what it is.

Portland, however, is the opposite. The people who live there act like it's a cross between Seattle and the Garden of Eden. Whereas in reality, it's more like a rainier, less diverse Sacramento. For a city full of creative types, it doesn't offer all that much in terms of the arts and culture. Perhaps I have it wrong and I should spend more time there, but those are just my impressions.
No, you pretty much nailed it.

Old 03-19-2015, 02:39 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,375,727 times
I think every city has pretentious and unpretentious sections and people. The entire city is not one or the other.

Old 03-19-2015, 03:23 AM

672 posts, read 756,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
Portlandia FTW.

I think it's worth reiterating the definition of pretentious: it's passing oneself off as something one is not. In particular, something better, more prestigious or more important.

And most emphatically, pretentiousness is something essentially crass.

The term rose to prominence when petit-bourgeois children of shopkeepers, traders or slumlords tried to join the ranks of the upper class by throwing money at appearances while sneering at those beneath them. Their lives were expensive but lacking refinement. They sought external validation by insisting they only associate with the 'right' people, and so gained a reputation for being comically ungracious. God forbid, went the thinking, that the powerful people with whom I now identify should think I used to be one of those.

And they're still around in enormous numbers in the contemporary United States. Vulgar snobbery, unfortunately, is the dark corollary of the American Dream. We see plenty of it here on C-D.

(Hilariously, many members of the nouveau-riche would look down on members of ancient, upper-class families who live relatively modest lives. Now that's pretentiousness on steroids.)

In the context of a city, I'd say the label of 'pretentious' can be slapped on any place that attracts people who roll their eyes when another place or a certain class of people is mentioned. But even that's too broad. So let's trot out some examples.

1. The di*khead living in the rump of Queens who chortled at the mention of visitors from rural Nebraska. (Yes, this one happened.)

2. The transplant, who's been paying $4000 a month to live in the West Village for the past few years, declaring that pub is too 'bridge-and-tunnel' for his taste

3. The well-heeled tech worker who insists that the proletarian triage nurse is wasting his time because he's clever enough to consult doctor google. Could we get the neuro-surgeon in here now please? I want to speak to someone who can actually fix my problem.

So, pretentious cities would include:

* NYC. To the n-th power
* San Francisco
* Los Angeles
* Portland
* Austin
* Seattle
* DC

In the unpretentious list, I'd put:

* Burlington
* El Paso
* Pittsburgh
* Buffalo
* Cleveland
* Cinci
* Des Moines
* Omaha

Old 03-19-2015, 05:43 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Pretentious - Dallas
Unpretentious - Fort Worth

Pretentious - Austin
Unpretentious - San Antonio

Old 03-19-2015, 06:28 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,686,375 times
Pretentious Cities:

Boston
NYC
Washington, DC
Miami
Dallas
Chicago
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Denver

Unpretentious:

Philly
Baltimore
Houston
various mid-western cities bar Chicago
San Diego
Portland

Old 03-19-2015, 08:07 AM

27,541 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compactspace View Post
So, pretentious cities would include:

* NYC. To the n-th power
* San Francisco
* Los Angeles
* Portland
* Austin
* Seattle
* DC

In the unpretentious list, I'd put:

* Burlington
* El Paso
* Pittsburgh
* Buffalo
* Cleveland
* Cinci
* Des Moines
* Omaha
In other words, coastal cities that are basically superstars of economic wealth and/or usually have all kinds of well-known attractions are "pretentious."

Whereas cities in the middle of the country that fly under the radar in almost every way are "unpretentious."

I wonder why? Hmm...

Old 03-19-2015, 08:41 AM

638 posts, read 977,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
In other words, coastal cities that are basically superstars of economic wealth and/or usually have all kinds of well-known attractions are "pretentious."

Whereas cities in the middle of the country that fly under the radar in almost every way are "unpretentious."

I wonder why? Hmm...
No, I'd consider Denver, Dallas, and Atlanta Pretentious too. Although they don't necessarily fly under the radar all the time.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:48 AM

707 posts, read 749,225 times
I know Albuquerque is far too humble to ever be pretentious. Rio Rancho, now that's a different story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.