Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2015, 08:27 AM

1,521 posts, read 1,945,475 times

Advertisements

Has anyone said Charleston yet? If not, Charleston!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 02:02 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,239,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistola916 View Post
SF is known for tourism, finance, banking, and tech, and its skyline is internationally recognized by many. Undoubtedly, some of the most important tech companies are headquartered in San Jose yet for a city over a million, its downtown falls way short literally -- its skyline resembles an office park than a dense urban core -- compared to Oakland and even Sacramento. Sure, SJ is a nice place to raise a family and its residents are really down-to-earth, but SJ is the Orange County of the Bay Area, which is one aspect that makes the city attractive.
I never said SJ has a better downtown then SF. I said its a more important regional city and it is. Also how developed a city's downtown area is, is not directly correlated to how important the city is on a global scale. Yeah SF has tourism and banking, but that is really about it. There are many other towns in the area that are far more important in terms of tech.

In terms of pretentiousness:
For whatever reason SF attracts many people who think that anything not within its 49 sq miles is boring and valueless. They think that by residing in a specific place (SF) they are somehow more interesting, connected, and important then someone from Fresno or San Jose. Its the mindset of an intellectual midget.

Old 04-03-2015, 03:23 PM

6,884 posts, read 8,260,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
I never said SJ has a better downtown then SF. I said its a more important regional city and it is. Also how developed a city's downtown area is, is not directly correlated to how important the city is on a global scale. Yeah SF has tourism and banking, but that is really about it. There are many other towns in the area that are far more important in terms of tech.
I don't think you aware of how much tech jobs are located in SF now, both headquarters and non-headquarters. Also, many of those highly paid techies LIVE in SF, regardless if they commute south to Silicon Valley or weather they work in the City(SF).

SF always has had and still HAS a very large RESIDENT population and that is the backbone of why it has always been an interesting, important, and unique city.

Quote:
In terms of pretentiousness:
For whatever reason SF attracts many people who think that anything not within its 49 sq miles is boring and valueless. They think that by residing in a specific place (SF) they are somehow more interesting, connected, and important then someone from Fresno or San Jose. Its the mindset of an intellectual midget.
I agree with YOU ON THIS ⌃⌃⌃⌃⌃⌃.....except for the "intellectual midget portion", rather they are PROVINCIAL, and often ignorant of the rest of the state and country.

Denver and SF have a big SMUG Problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWViRStTW5w

Old 04-03-2015, 03:36 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,239,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post

SF always has had and still HAS a very large RESIDENT population and that is the backbone of why it has always been an interesting, important, and unique city.
So SF is basically a bedroom community for the Peninsula and the South Bay. I think that furthers my point that its no longer the most important city in the region. Is it a lovely place to visit or live? Yes, no argument there.

Old 04-03-2015, 06:23 PM

6,884 posts, read 8,260,070 times
Quote:
So SF is basically a bedroom community for the Peninsula and the South Bay. I think that furthers my point that its no longer the most important city in the region. Is it a lovely place to visit or live? Yes, no argument there.
That would also be false. SF is not a "bedroom community", has never been a "bedroom community" and, likely, never will be.

The new tech residents of SF that work in Silicon Valley only adds to the unique nature of SF.
SF still has lots of jobs, small businesses, big corporations, and an upper-resident-class that doesn't even have to work....and a tourism industry.

Big tourist towns are rarely "bedroom communities" and if they are both "tourist towns" and "bedroom communities" as the case may be in some other California coastal cities, the tourism part makes them more interesting than simply being a "bedroom community".

SF is full of snobs and always had a good share of snobs even when it was "affordable" back in the 60's and 70's. See link on the "Old" (SF) Family Snob and the (general) San Francisco snob

San Francisco Is a City of Snobs - The Bold Italic - San Francisco

Last edited by Chimérique; 04-03-2015 at 06:34 PM..

Old 11-27-2015, 07:53 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
The worst case of pretentiousness is amongst the northeast cities of the boswash corridor. Philly is the least pretentious, but Boston, NYC and DC are very pretentious. Nyc, DC and Boston with Harvard attracts people who are elite or want to be elite. Nyc and DC also attracts plenty of professionals across the country who move to these cities after college. These folks have that no my poop don't stink attitude. Other cities across the country do have hiccups of pretentiousness, but the boswash corridor is by far the worst especially amongst the transplants.

Old 11-28-2015, 03:50 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
You might be the most delusion person on these boards.

Your opinions are a joke - I don't think you've been to 1/10th of the cities you mentioned.
I'm old now sweetpea. I've been to all of the places I said I've been and more. What floats someone's boat versus what floats another person's boat is different. If you think everyone thinks like you do then you are the delusional one.

Old 11-28-2015, 07:50 PM

352 posts, read 550,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
I think the big cities have a lot of pretentiousness, of course some big cities have more pretentiousness than others.

Pretentious: New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, San Francisco, Dallas, San Diego, Phoenix, Las Vegas (duh!)
Unpretentious: Portland (Oregon)
I've lived all over. I currently live in the DC area and it has a high level form of pretentiousness that most people are aware of.

I lived in Portland for 4 years. They have a different type of pretentiousness. How creative/artsy they are, how unlike East Coast moneyed corporatists they are, how "anti-money"/non-materialistic they are, how European laid back cafe culture they are, how unique snowflakes they are, how green they are, how unusual small business they are, how musically inclined they are, how non-Californian they are, how they are cooler than corporate Seattle. It's very cool kid-in-school cliquish. There were many things that I absolutely adored about Portland. I was disappointed by what I discovered as just a different kind of smugness.

Last edited by VASpaceMan; 11-28-2015 at 09:00 PM..

Old 11-28-2015, 07:56 PM

352 posts, read 550,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
In my opinion, New York City's general culture is actually not very pretentious at all. (Some of its suburbs are pretentious as all get out, though.)
When we moved back from the East Coast we were considering NYC. A couple (relatives) who'd just lived in NYC said that we might like downtown, that it was full of nice, cool younger people from all over the country and world, but they said avoid the suburbs like the plague. I kind of wondered what it meant, but I think what they meant was the suburbs are like horrible stepford wives world. This seems to support that.

Old 11-28-2015, 07:59 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
That would also be false. SF is not a "bedroom community", has never been a "bedroom community" and, likely, never will be.

The new tech residents of SF that work in Silicon Valley only adds to the unique nature of SF.
SF still has lots of jobs, small businesses, big corporations, and an upper-resident-class that doesn't even have to work....and a tourism industry.
The fact that SF is becoming a bedroom community of Silicon Valley is something that makes it unique? Um, ok...

And you can say it won't become a bedroom community but a bedroom community is, by definition, a place people come home to when they work elsewhere. If more and more tech workers like you say are living in SV and living in SF, how is SF not becoming a bedroom community?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.