Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 07:49 PM

7,964 posts, read 11,802,166 times

Advertisements

Ahhh well, just a wee warning from your cousins in Europe, this cannot lead to anything good. This kind of thing has happened in Europe this past century and it didn't end to well in any case.

A lot of bad 5h!t has happened on this continent with groups acting like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 07:50 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,680,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
It isn't something that happens exclusively in America, i mean it happened even here with the death of Carlo Giuliani with the riots on the day of G8 meeting in Genoa which happened in 2001. Policemen rarely carry firearms here, though, this seems a much more common thing in the USA and probably after 9/11 they went overboard.
I know that I was suprised with how many weapons I saw security using out in the open at the airport in Milan and the Cops walking around the Eiffel Tower in Paris. I don't remember seeing that here in the USA

Old 03-19-2015, 07:52 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,817,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Ahhh well, just a wee warning from your cousins in Europe, this cannot lead to anything good. This kind of thing has happened in Europe this past century and it didn't end to well in any case.
Ok Paull805 you might as well tell me what you are talking about.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:54 PM

What certain groups thinking they are above any recrimination and starting to treat the general public like the enemy, you really need to be taught similar events?

Old 03-19-2015, 07:59 PM
AFP

Quote:
What certain groups thinking they are above any recrimination and starting to treat the general public like the enemy, you really need to be taught similar events?
I understand my parents and grandparents were raised under a dictatorship regime. I understand it could go too far the police has to respect people's rights they are not above the law. I have also seen bad cops behind bars earning a badge didn't change the fact that these individuals were criminals.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:03 PM

9,980 posts, read 12,322,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Don't believe that P London but I think that is a big part. I have seen first hand escalated situations where an overwhelming presence of force is quite effective.
May be but that just scares people in behaving. Its like a Mother saying ''I've got my belt'' that doesn't help it just makes the Child scared and loose trust in her. Same thing with the Police instead of tackling and getting to the root issue of crimes you just scare the public in obedience.

Also with the Police having guns criminals are more likely to have guns to protect themselves and with guns easily accessible in the US that's toxic.

My point is the Police shouldn't be randomly carrying around guns because that just makes people scared of the people that are suppose to protect them. Instead the police and the wider government should tackle getting rid of Guns and stopping violence in a way that tackles the root causes.

What are the root causes?

Marginalisation, poverty, mistrust in the government, rundown environments, segregation, poor education and Police brutality.

The general theme should be to ban guns but in the US that's impossible

Old 03-19-2015, 08:06 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,680,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post

You are right. That will never happen. It's to deep a part of the culture for some.
I know how to use a weapon. I have had lots of training with them but I would never own one. That's my personal stance.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:14 PM
AFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
May be but that just scares people in behaving. Its like a Mother saying ''I've got my belt'' that doesn't help it just makes the Child scared and loose trust in her. Same thing with the Police instead of tackling and getting to the root issue of crimes you just scare the public in obedience.

Also with the Police having guns criminals are more likely to have guns to protect themselves and with guns easily accessible in the US that's toxic.

My point is the Police shouldn't be randomly carrying around guns because that just makes people scared of the people that are suppose to protect them. Instead the police and the wider government should tackle getting rid of Guns and stopping violence in a way that tackles the root causes.

What are the root causes?

Marginalisation, poverty, mistrust in the government, rundown environments, segregation, poor education and Police brutality.

Banning guns will never happen in the USA the right to bear arms is in the second amendment of the constitution.

Second Amendment to the United States Constitution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I understand that the root causes you list contribute to crime, however I will tell you that I believe through personal observation that many commit crimes because they aren't taught that it is a disgrace to one's family as I have been taught, for many of those individuals it is a normal part of their environment.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:17 PM

We know what it is, doesn't mean we agree with it. We in the UK raped and pillaged the world and hung drawed and quartered people, doesn't mean we do it now.

We on these isles had many a war for independence you think we stick to that now? C'mon now.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:27 PM
AFP

Quote:
We know what it is, doesn't mean we agree with it. We in the UK raped and pillaged the world and hung drawed and quartered people, doesn't mean we do it now.

We on these isles had many a war for independence you think we stick to that now? C'mon now.
I don't think you understand how deeply ingrained it is in the culture in the USA. I don't own a gun or hunt just because it's just not my thing, however I have family members that do but they are responsible gun owners and are avid hunters they are also card carrying members of the NRA which is a powerful lobbying organization for gun rights. Their guns are very important to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.