Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2017, 09:47 AM

4 posts, read 2,530 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I've been using City-Data for a little while and started to look at other posts similar to mine. It seems like users are very helpful in giving city suggestions, so I thought I would give it a try.

My fiancée and I are getting married in May and are beginning to talk about moving out of our small town in Utah to start our married lives together. He has a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Illustration and I have a Master of Fine Arts in Arts Administration. We want to move somewhere were the arts (museums, theatres, game companies, etc.) are thriving and we can hopefully find new careers in our fields. Moving somewhere that has a circus arts facility is important to me as well. I'm very heat sensitive, so living somewhere were the summers aren't brutal is a must.

I lived in Seattle for a summer and I loved it. Traffic was horrible, but I loved all of the activities to do and how beautiful the scenery was. If we could move somewhere similar to Seattle without all of the congestion, that would be pretty ideal. I also loved Washington, DC with all of the free museums when I went on vacation there a few years ago.

I know every city has their pros and cons and finding "the perfect city" is difficult. We have spent a majority of our lives in two cities so I am open to any city suggestions for me to research. We won't be moving for a little while, but I'm looking forward to starting the search and generating potential future plans.

If any more details are needed, I would be happy to answer questions. Thank you for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2017, 10:36 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,392,560 times
What is your budget for housing?

Old 02-28-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
What is your budget for housing?

I'm flexible on budget, it depends on what salaries our new careers bring us. To buy a house in my current area is between $130-200k for a 3-4 bedroom. Mortgage or rent around $800-1000 for a 3-4 bedroom home would be great. We're both artists, so having those extra rooms for office and studio space is nice.

Old 02-28-2017, 11:08 AM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Minneapolis came to mind, but it depend on more information.

Old 02-28-2017, 11:41 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,461,659 times
Cleveland has a thriving art scene and a reasonable cost of living.

Old 02-28-2017, 03:04 PM

27,231 posts, read 43,971,352 times
I would recommend Detroit as an option. The city is going through a massive transformation and being both young and artistic, you can put your own stamps on the revitalization which as an artist could/should be an exciting prospect.

http://detroit.curbed.com/2016/3/30/...nt-dan-gilbert
Experience Detroit -- Seasonal Things to Do
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...t/11_zm/0_mmm/

Old 02-28-2017, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Minneapolis came to mind, but it depend on more information.
What other information can I provide?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Cleveland has a thriving art scene and a reasonable cost of living.
Thank you! I will take a look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I would recommend Detroit as an option. The city is going through a massive transformation and being both young and artistic, you can put your own stamps on the revitalization which as an artist could/should be an exciting prospect.

http://detroit.curbed.com/2016/3/30/...nt-dan-gilbert
Experience Detroit -- Seasonal Things to Do
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...t/11_zm/0_mmm/
Another thank you! I'll add it to my list.

Old 03-01-2017, 02:19 PM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsu View Post
What other information can I provide?

Thank you! I will take a look.

Another thank you! I'll add it to my list.
I thought about the area due to its arts scene. I believe it has one of the most supported arts scenes in the country in terms of investment, if I'm not mistaken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.