Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 05:24 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,985,006 times

Advertisements

Wow! Nice pictures!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 05:42 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,538,899 times
Manhattan feels "just right" to me

Old 01-13-2008, 05:49 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,583,593 times
San Jose California is the city that you are looking for ,located in the Silicone Valley it is the mecca of all that's technology here in the U.S. of America , a certified Nap Town with a population of "1 Million city" "and 7 Million Metro" , both San Francisco and Oaklad California are a mere 35 miles away...No Snow...Safest Big City In America "Mainland "Honolulu Hawaii is America Safest Big City but you have to get on a boat to get there ..NHL San Jose Sharks...NFL San Francisco 49'er Moving There in a couple of years , building a 916 Million Dollar Staduim, San Jose has about a Million People but feels just like Honolulu Hawaii with It's Population Of 377.000 People.

Last edited by Howest2008; 01-13-2008 at 05:50 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 01-13-2008, 08:51 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,289,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
located in the Silicone Valley it is the mecca of all that's technology here in the U.S. of America .
Not the mecca, maybe the 'NYC' comparison to all other silicon-y advanced areas. areas of the Northeast, parts of Chicago and Dallas(both called the Silicon Prairie) are also very silicon-y.
as for San Jose, he said he didn't want overload, if you going to mention San Jose might as well mention Los Angeles, Chicago, DFW, NYC, Houston, Miami, and Atlanta...

Old 01-13-2008, 09:29 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,350,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
as for San Jose, he said he didn't want overload, if you going to mention San Jose might as well mention Los Angeles, Chicago, DFW, NYC, Houston, Miami, and Atlanta...
Well, I didn't realize we were in that class...

Old 01-13-2008, 10:35 PM

1,354 posts, read 6,378,141 times
I like Portland, OR alot. Smaller city with everything you need. Shopping, great restaurants, nightlife, TONS of outdoor recreation, etc etc.

Old 01-13-2008, 10:41 PM

552 posts, read 1,073,447 times
Seattle, Washington sounds good for you.

Old 01-13-2008, 10:49 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~NeonFire372~ View Post
I don't really know how to phrase this question, but I'm looking for a city that's not too big yet not too small. I like having everything I could ever need around me and having easy access to public transit but cities like NYC seem a little overwhelming. Looking to possibly get a job related to technology... any suggestions on a relatively large city that's not too congested and has lots to do?
Raleigh, Raleigh, Raleigh, Raleigh.
:-)

Old 01-13-2008, 10:56 PM

809 posts, read 2,410,079 times
Pittsburgh, PA. Got lots of tech jobs, 2.5 mil metro and 300k city. Kind of like St. Louis but with the universities(Carnegie Mellon, Pitt, Duquesne, etc.) there's a lot of jobs for tech people.

If you're into doing Healthcare IT then UPMC, Highmark, and Allegheny General all do big business in the city. Lots of other smaller spinoffs and startups from college kids really energize the business climate.

Lots of outdoor recreation and just beautiful architecture, full of rivers and hills. It's a very unique and special city.

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en-commons/thumb/f/fd/250px-Street_in_Shadyside_Pittsburgh_PA.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by gameguy56; 01-13-2008 at 11:08 PM..

Old 01-13-2008, 11:05 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,831,224 times
Actually, St. Louis does have a technical college. Ranken Technical College - About Ranken (http://www.ranken.edu/AboutRanken/main.asp - broken link) I'm not sure about jobs, though. If you're a student apparently they'll help you find one.

And of course St. Louis also Washington University, St. Louis University, and other smaller universities in the area.

Ranken Technical College - Employers of Ranken Students (http://www.ranken.edu/CareerServices/Employers.asp - broken link) has a list of employers who hire people who have graduated from Ranken, although I'm sure they hire non-Ranken graduates as well.

And you can always go through job agencies, like Monster.com or Yahoo! Jobs. Stltoday.com has job listings as well.

Pittsburgh a fine choice, just saying St. Louis may have the jobs also. Personally, I'd make a list of places I'd like to move to and spend some time online seeing what kind of jobs are available in each market.

And St. Louis has wonderful architecture as well, and fortunately a lot of historic buildings are being used again. Unfortunately, some, like the Century and the Switzer building, have been lost.

All kinds of pictures here Urban St. Louis - View Forum - Photography - Showcase St. Louis (http://www.urbanstl.com/viewforum.php?f=24 - broken link)

Although, baseball tickets are probably easier to get in Pittsburgh. Busch Stadium (in St. Louis) has sold out or nearly sold out the past couple of years.

Last edited by STLCardsBlues1989; 01-13-2008 at 11:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.