Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 08:47 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,327,951 times

Advertisements

What little things do you tend to notice when you go through other states?

Me and my girlfriend just got back to Texas after spending a few days in South Carolina. I like to notice things like the appearance of street signs, and the different type of restaurant and store chains in that area.

I also noticed that every state we went through really stressed the importance of trees, even in the big cities we passed through like Shreveport, Jackson, Birmingham, and Atlanta. I get that Interstates can boost economies by bringing more traffic through, but the Metroplex takes advantage of it - building shopping center after shopping center, parking lot after parking lot. And I really hate how all of these big suburbs of Dallas just have an Interstate and a bunch of shopping centers to "distinguish" them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 08:58 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,963,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Duck View Post
What little things do you tend to notice when you go through other states?
Different license plates.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:17 AM

638 posts, read 978,219 times
Architecture of neighborhoods. Terrain. Slang.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:43 AM

707 posts, read 749,678 times
A complete lack of Green Chile. How the heck do people survive without it? And no, jalapenos and anaheims don't count as New Mexico green chile.

Old 03-19-2015, 11:51 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,298,761 times
Different accents. The fact that fashion tends to look a few years behind Californian fashion. Different fast food and supermarket chains. And from what I noticed. Most of the street signs in other US cities tend to be green. In the LA area. There is a ton of street sign colors because of the many different municipalities here. But in the other US cities I've been to. The street signs are a homogeneous green.

Old 03-19-2015, 02:11 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
That nothing looks different when you cross the state line.

Even the clocks don't change. There are only five state lines that entirely match a time zone boundary: CA/AZ, NV/UT, NV/ID, AL/GA, and the very tiny border of NM/OK. By far, the majority of US time zone lines run through states, not between them.

Old 03-19-2015, 02:17 PM

128 posts, read 223,020 times
Black people and Latino people.

Old 03-19-2015, 02:18 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,826,232 times
Billboards. We don't have very many of them and it is a shock to drive through some states where the side of the road is huge billboard after billboard. Particularly the change from the west coast to Florida when we would visit the in-laws.

The changes in climate, geography and vegetation (although, if you drive 250 miles from the Oregon coast to the Oregon high desert you see more striking change than you see driving across entire states).

Old 03-19-2015, 02:24 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,491,685 times
It doesn't matter how far you are from the state line, it still feels completely foreign since you're in a different state. I could be from Oxford, North Carolina standing in Clarksville, Virginia and still feel like I'm in a different world. That's probably just me, though.

Old 03-19-2015, 02:44 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times
I notice the way different states put together their big green highway signs first. Do they use the standard FHWA or Clearview font? Thick or thin font? Are the signs extruded-panel or increment-panel construction? Do individual signs tend to be posted on the side of the highway, or overhead on a gantry? These are the things that I immediately notice. I also notice eventually if a state prefers to build its highways with asphalt or concrete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.