Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2022, 06:25 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,037,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
This thread is old enough to get a driver’s license. I’m sure the cities on here have changed significantly that IF—and I do mean if—the old posters came back that they’d change almost everything they said.

I think there should be a criterion that people actually spend a day or two in a city before talking about it on City Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2022, 07:11 PM

511 posts, read 400,124 times
Favorites:

1. New Orleans, LA
2. Atlanta, GA
3. Houston, TX
4. Huntsville, AL
5. Nashville, TN
6. Bowling Green, KY
7. Little Rock, AR
8. Austin, TX
9. San Antonio, TX
10. Biloxi, MS
11. Clarksville, TN
12. Charleston, SC

Least Favorites:

1. Memphis, TN
2. Jackson, MS
3. Shreveport, LA
4. Texarkana, AR
5. Beaumont, TX
6. Montgomery, AL
7. Birmingham, AL
8. Baton Rouge, LA
9. Jacksonville, FL
10. Miami, FL
11. Charlotte, NC
12. Killeen, TX

Old 09-25-2022, 07:38 PM

12,164 posts, read 8,010,150 times
Favorites
1. Savannah GA
2. Charleston, SC
3. Asheville, NC
4. Clearwater-St. Petersburg, FL
5. Atlanta, GA
6. Greensboro, NC
7. St. Augustine, FL
8. Miami, FL
9. Roanoke, VA
10. Boone, NC

Least Favorites
1. Orlando, FL
2. Jacksonville, FL
3. Winston-Salem, NC
4. High Point, NC
5. Houston, TX
6. Fort Worth, TX
7. Fayetteville, NC
8. Lakeland, FL
9. Danville, VA
10. Kissimmee, FL

Old 09-26-2022, 02:06 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
To live? I like Williamson County south of Nashville. I would happily live walking distance from the center of Franklin. Lots of green space. Good music scene. Pretty good airport. Good health care at Vanderbilt.

To visit? French Quarter.

Old 09-26-2022, 03:01 AM

6,378 posts, read 5,000,641 times
This list isn't specifically "visiting" or "living", it's just the places I find the most and least interesting or appealing in some way. Also no promises that I've been to all of these.

Favorite

Dallas, TX
Atlanta, GA
Marfa/Alpine, TX
Birmingham, AL
New Orleans, LA
Huntington, WV/Ashland, KY
Wheeling, WV
Biloxi, MS
Laredo, TX
Tulsa, OK

Least Favorite

Sarasota, FL
Cape Coral, FL
Myrtle Beach, SC
Gulfport, MS
Virginia Beach, VA
NW AR
Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg, TN
Waco, TX
Temple, TX
College Station, TX

(essentially: I really don't care about resort towns or "boring and sleepy but safe + low COL + good schools" type places)

Old 09-26-2022, 08:11 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
This thread is old enough to get a driver’s license. I’m sure the cities on here have changed significantly that IF—and I do mean if—the old posters came back that they’d change almost everything they said.
True story, I just read a post I made back in 2011 on this thread and it really doesn't jive with how I see these cities now. Back then I was pro Austin and anti Dallas. My feeling is pretty much neutral on both of these places now. Some cities, it's been so long since I've been back that my memories or feeling on the places have faded out.

I didn't like Raleigh at all the time last posted. My sister has now lived there for a long time and raised her kids there. So the area has really grown on me and I really like Raleigh a lot now. I'm happy that my nieces had a good upbringing and access to a great education there. The downtown core has come a long way, it's clean, relatively drama free, the city is not severed up by too many highways. The metro offers a good quality of life for families. Something I appreciate now that I didn't back then.

For visiting, some of my favorite cities in the South now -

New Orleans
Raleigh
Atlanta
Savannah
Miami/Fort Lauderdale

Old 09-27-2022, 06:02 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,816,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
True story, I just read a post I made back in 2011 on this thread and it really doesn't jive with how I see these cities now. Back then I was pro Austin and anti Dallas. My feeling is pretty much neutral on both of these places now. Some cities, it's been so long since I've been back that my memories or feeling on the places have faded out.

I didn't like Raleigh at all the time last posted. My sister has now lived there for a long time and raised her kids there. So the area has really grown on me and I really like Raleigh a lot now. I'm happy that my nieces had a good upbringing and access to a great education there. The downtown core has come a long way, it's clean, relatively drama free, the city is not severed up by too many highways. The metro offers a good quality of life for families. Something I appreciate now that I didn't back then.

For visiting, some of my favorite cities in the South now -

New Orleans
Raleigh
Atlanta
Savannah
Miami/Fort Lauderdale
Ha! The odds were slim but I called it. To be honest I have come across this with some of my old posts myself.

I’m new to the South so I have yet to travel but so far I also like Atlanta and New Orleans. St Petersburg is underrated for Florida, and it’d probably be where I go if Florida was forced upon me, and I really do mean forced upon me Florida is fun but that’s it, for fun. Like Miami is fun but just that… fun.

What I really like about Atlanta and New Orleans is that they have lots of history and culture to them, the cities are generally more progressive especially in comparison to their respective regions. Atlanta and New Orleans also has some sort of grit or tenacity that is very appealing to me. I don’t know how to explain it other than it feels like a city with diversity and struggles but is a survivor and it makes a place feel so much more real to me rather than some manufactured sterile environment meant for the highest bidder. Now that’s not to say that Atlanta and New Orleans don’t have suburbs that feel that way… but the cores certainly don’t. I’d rather be in a place with history and a troubled past than one that’s there solely to create a catered experience rather as a tourist or under the false projection of isolation from “those people” or a false pretense of urbanism when it’s actually the same cookie cutter lifestyle just sprawled vertically instead of horizontally.

Old 09-28-2022, 02:07 PM

146 posts, read 152,315 times
Favorites:
Paducah, KY
Cape Girardeau, MO

Least Favorites:
Atlanta, GA
Raleigh, NC
Charlotte, NC
Asheville, NC
Nashville, TN

I like small river cities with good food and I hate southern cities that lose their charm and get more crowded.

Old 10-04-2022, 07:26 PM

136 posts, read 116,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Favorites
1. Savannah GA
2. Charleston, SC
3. Asheville, NC
5. Atlanta, GA
6. Greensboro, NC
7. St. Augustine, FL
8. Miami, FL
9. Roanoke, VA
10. Boone, NC

Least Favorites
1. Orlando, FL
2. Jacksonville, FL
3. Winston-Salem, NC
4. High Point, NC
5. Houston, TX
6. Fort Worth, TX
7. Fayetteville, NC
8. Lakeland, FL
9. Danville, VA
10. Kissimmee, FL
How does Greensboro rank so high and Winston/High Point so low?

Winston is my favorite of the Triad, personally.

Old 10-04-2022, 10:15 PM

2,341 posts, read 2,289,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Favorites
1. Savannah GA
2. Charleston, SC
3. Asheville, NC
5. Atlanta, GA
6. Greensboro, NC
7. St. Augustine, FL
8. Miami, FL
9. Roanoke, VA
10. Boone, NC

Least Favorites
1. Orlando, FL
2. Jacksonville, FL
3. Winston-Salem, NC
4. High Point, NC
5. Houston, TX
6. Fort Worth, TX
7. Fayetteville, NC
8. Lakeland, FL
9. Danville, VA
10. Kissimmee, FL
Have you been to downtown Lakeland recently? It’s actually come a long way and really isn’t a bad city now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.