Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 01:56 PM

10 posts, read 11,258 times

Advertisements

Cost of Living: I make a comfortable wage but a low cost of living, giving me money spare for vacations and other personal costs, would be nice.

Crime: A low crime rate would obviously be preferable but unless the city is notorious for crime I'm not too worried. A safe downtown is a must though as I love the idea of going downtown late at night jogging or just socially. Furthermore, a place devoid of panhandlers and large homeless populations is desired.

Leisure: I like going to concerts and a city that sees some big bands visit is what I'm looking for. In terms of nightlife I abhor nightclubs and would rather spend my leisure time in a bar, coffee shop, or restaurant (Note: My favorite cuisines are American, Italian, and Mexican). I'm a fan of football and soccer, so being close to a franchise in *either* sport would be a plus but is not essential.

People: Introverted but friendly. I don't want to be stopped on the street by strangers making small talk but I would like a friendly atmosphere amongst neighbours and when shopping. People who are career-driven are my types; party animal cities are a no-go zone for me.

Politics: I'm a right-leaning Democrat who is liberal socially (on most issues) but has conservative foreign policy views. I don't want to be in a liberal haven nor a conservative base. I can't stand wacky, eccentric types nor do I care for ultra-conservative, religious folk.

Religion: I am irreligious but I like the values and morals accompanied by religion. A place that isn't dominated by church is ideal but I would like some religious influence around but not an oppressive presence.

Vibe: Quiet. I hate large crowds and having to fight my way through masses of Manhattan-esque crowds is not ideal.

Weather: My favorite weather is rain, overcast, and thunder and lightning. I don't mind snow but only for a few weeks. I like hot and humid weather in the summer but humidity all year round is horrid. I also hate large bugs and swarms of them, so a climate that would see them only a few weeks a year is preferable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 02:07 PM

908 posts, read 1,418,516 times
How about Columbus? It has an MLS franchise, the metro area is relatively politically balanced, and Ohio has the most cloud cover east of the Rockies.

Old 03-19-2015, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxdtdemon View Post
How about Columbus? It has an MLS franchise, the metro area is relatively politically balanced, and Ohio has the most cloud cover east of the Rockies.
What about the people and social scene?

Old 03-19-2015, 02:51 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,332,480 times
I think your ideal city will be inside your own bedroom, with the door bolt-locked. You can put a piece of cheese outside the door to attract a colony of ants for company. They will be quiet and friendly while not being obnoxious and in your face yanno. I've heard most insects are atheists and politically apathetic too whilst living very moral lives.

Picking cities isn't supposed to be like ordering a sandwich from Subway, friend. You're never going to find a city that fits all your needs. And besides that, you're not going to get accurate answers here as this forum is flaring with opposing views.

The only one that can be objectively answered is the climate part, and for wet weather I'd suggest Portland or Seattle. Portland is more affordable than Seattle. Otherwise, my personal (subjective) take on most of your desires would be any upper middle class suburb of any metro. That's what it sounds like you want.

Old 03-20-2015, 05:21 AM

27,207 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fndrwd View Post
Cost of Living: I make a comfortable wage but a low cost of living, giving me money spare for vacations and other personal costs, would be nice.

Crime: A low crime rate would obviously be preferable but unless the city is notorious for crime I'm not too worried. A safe downtown is a must though as I love the idea of going downtown late at night jogging or just socially. Furthermore, a place devoid of panhandlers and large homeless populations is desired.

Leisure: I like going to concerts and a city that sees some big bands visit is what I'm looking for. In terms of nightlife I abhor nightclubs and would rather spend my leisure time in a bar, coffee shop, or restaurant (Note: My favorite cuisines are American, Italian, and Mexican). I'm a fan of football and soccer, so being close to a franchise in *either* sport would be a plus but is not essential.

People: Introverted but friendly. I don't want to be stopped on the street by strangers making small talk but I would like a friendly atmosphere amongst neighbours and when shopping. People who are career-driven are my types; party animal cities are a no-go zone for me.

Politics: I'm a right-leaning Democrat who is liberal socially (on most issues) but has conservative foreign policy views. I don't want to be in a liberal haven nor a conservative base. I can't stand wacky, eccentric types nor do I care for ultra-conservative, religious folk.

Religion: I am irreligious but I like the values and morals accompanied by religion. A place that isn't dominated by church is ideal but I would like some religious influence around but not an oppressive presence.

Vibe: Quiet. I hate large crowds and having to fight my way through masses of Manhattan-esque crowds is not ideal.

Weather: My favorite weather is rain, overcast, and thunder and lightning. I don't mind snow but only for a few weeks. I like hot and humid weather in the summer but humidity all year round is horrid. I also hate large bugs and swarms of them, so a climate that would see them only a few weeks a year is preferable.
I think Durham NC would be ideal for you. I lived there happily for years (left through a job transfer), and have a very similar personality. Durham has a thriving, historic downtown with renovated tobacco warehouses that have been converted into music venues, restaurants, shops and even some residences. Like many cities it'll show a "higher crime rate" though that is only reflective of areas of the city you'd never find yourself in and it's largely insulated. Durham is not a nightclub town and has a good selection of smaller bars/brewpubs as well as a nationally recognized food scene with some terrific restaurants and some great coffee shops. Neighboring Raleigh (less than 30 minutes away) has an NASL franchise, the Carolina Warhawks. People are quite friendly and a melting pot from across the country (and a good number of foreign origin as well), though not of the overly chatty variety...just generally nice and accessible to conversation if desired. The city and region overall is traditionally moderate Democrat in leanings with liberal views on social issues. While allegedly in the "bible belt" most of North Carolina's major cities are fairly cosmopolitan and while there is probably higher than average religious involvement in the area, it's not anywhere near oppressive or overly influential. It definitely fulfills the quiet quotient as even on weekend nights downtown when establishments are busy, it doesn't have that crowded feel at all. Durham gets a fairly equal distribution of seasons which is a rarity anymore, with a decent amount of rain throughout the year (as evidenced by the very green topography) including frequent summer thunderstorms and bugs are fairly minimal outside of July and August. Snow occurs maybe twice a year and rarely is a "major event".

Old 03-20-2015, 06:34 AM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
I think your ideal city will be inside your own bedroom, with the door bolt-locked. You can put a piece of cheese outside the door to attract a colony of ants for company. They will be quiet and friendly while not being obnoxious and in your face yanno. I've heard most insects are atheists and politically apathetic too whilst living very moral lives.

Picking cities isn't supposed to be like ordering a sandwich from Subway, friend. You're never going to find a city that fits all your needs. And besides that, you're not going to get accurate answers here as this forum is flaring with opposing views.

The only one that can be objectively answered is the climate part, and for wet weather I'd suggest Portland or Seattle. Portland is more affordable than Seattle. Otherwise, my personal (subjective) take on most of your desires would be any upper middle class suburb of any metro. That's what it sounds like you want.
These two cities came to mind, as did Salt Lake City.

Old 03-20-2015, 06:37 AM

938 posts, read 1,515,151 times
Quote:

College towns in the South that are either private schools, or with student bodies that think they're private, like UVA. Charlottesville, where I'm living now, comes to mind.

Old 03-20-2015, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post

Ha! Love it. I do sound kinda asocial in the OP. Seattle and Portland look good cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I think Durham NC would be ideal for you. I lived there happily for years (left through a job transfer), and have a very similar personality. Durham has a thriving, historic downtown with renovated tobacco warehouses that have been converted into music venues, restaurants, shops and even some residences. Like many cities it'll show a "higher crime rate" though that is only reflective of areas of the city you'd never find yourself in and it's largely insulated. Durham is not a nightclub town and has a good selection of smaller bars/brewpubs as well as a nationally recognized food scene with some terrific restaurants and some great coffee shops. Neighboring Raleigh (less than 30 minutes away) has an NASL franchise, the Carolina Warhawks. People are quite friendly and a melting pot from across the country (and a good number of foreign origin as well), though not of the overly chatty variety...just generally nice and accessible to conversation if desired. The city and region overall is traditionally moderate Democrat in leanings with liberal views on social issues. While allegedly in the "bible belt" most of North Carolina's major cities are fairly cosmopolitan and while there is probably higher than average religious involvement in the area, it's not anywhere near oppressive or overly influential. It definitely fulfills the quiet quotient as even on weekend nights downtown when establishments are busy, it doesn't have that crowded feel at all. Durham gets a fairly equal distribution of seasons which is a rarity anymore, with a decent amount of rain throughout the year (as evidenced by the very green topography) including frequent summer thunderstorms and bugs are fairly minimal outside of July and August. Snow occurs maybe twice a year and rarely is a "major event".
I like the sound of Durham

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
These two cities came to mind, as did Salt Lake City.
Salt Lake City is beautiful! Isn't it really Mormon dominated though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
College towns in the South that are either private schools, or with student bodies that think they're private, like UVA. Charlottesville, where I'm living now, comes to mind.
Any other examples?

Old 03-20-2015, 09:45 AM

28,091 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Salt Lake City is beautiful! Isn't it really Mormon dominated though?
Not as much as you would think. The city itself is less than 50% Mormon. If you're talking about the state of Utah as a whole, then yes, it's pretty much Mormon-dominated. If you're even considering Salt Lake, you ought to go over to the Salt Lake City forum and check out what the posters there are saying. There are more non-Mormon posters there than Mormon, I think, and many of them are originally from out-of-state.

Old 03-20-2015, 10:13 AM

869 posts, read 1,278,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxdtdemon View Post
That's funny, I thought Columbus, OH as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.