Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 01:52 PM

119 posts, read 832,890 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Utah for two and a half years. My opinion is that it is very beautiful here, four great seasons, family oriented. That is all I like about this place. It's not enough to keep me here. The wages are very low across the board here. There's better places to live. And with the professional degree that I have, Utah is the lowest paying state for it. I think Boise would be better.

Last edited by snowflake73; 01-15-2008 at 01:56 PM.. Reason: forgot to add
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 01:56 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,478,960 times
Cost of living and crime are two concerns many of us face so it is reasonable to consider them in relocation destinations.
Consider other factors such as weather, social/political climate as others have suggested. Perhaps looking through forums for a few cities will help identify parameter important to you.

Reading entries in these forums can also give you ideas for dealing with some issues that come up in this less than perfect world.

Take useful info and leave the rest behind.

Good luck on your "journey".

Old 01-15-2008, 06:46 PM

508 posts, read 1,504,582 times
Where do you live now? What part of the country? Close to fam and friends?

Old 01-15-2008, 06:53 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,752,047 times
I didn't take what Vagus said as an insult, just as reality. No place is perfect. You just have to find the place you like the most. Check which of those are priorities and find that place.

But I like this view myself.

Urban St. Louis - View topic - STL visit Part Six :: Is it the South Side? (http://www.urbanstl.com/viewtopic.php?t=4430 - broken link)

Old 01-15-2008, 06:54 PM

29 posts, read 89,124 times
Ithaca, NY is the place you are looking for.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:02 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,846,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagus View Post
Another (yawn) dreamer.

Noplace is perfect.

No crime + cheap + lots of good jobs + perfect weather + not isolated + perfect schools = Does Not Exist

Feel free to take SassyGirl's advice and peruse the various state threads. For every person who loves one place, someone else will think the same spot stinks. It's all in how willing you are to accommodate, so . . .

. . . . Why not find somewhere that's reasonably tolerable and just get on with your life? Maybe make a rank ordered list of what you consider important and try to check off as many as you can, but don't expect that you won't have to compromise somewhere along the way . . .

By the way, I've lived in one of your 4 choices and visited the other 3 multiple times (actually considered relocating to 2 of them). Guess what: none of them are utopia.

Good luck.

PS: Compared to some places I've lived, lower Wisconsin looks pretty darn good . . .
You are incredibly helpful...NOT!

Old 01-15-2008, 08:58 PM

101 posts, read 354,087 times
No place is a utopia....but if you don't even know where to start...its frustrating when people say that kind of stuff. If you can name a few places that meet some of a persons criteria...at least they have something to choose from or find info about.....or they can exclude certain cities, based on info from people that have lived there.. I've been looking for awhile myself and I'm still a little unsure of where to focus....

That said....it seems like your looking in some good areas. You might include what size city you are looking for.....that would help narrow it down some.

Boise is supposed to be nice, as is:
Coeur d'Alene, ID
Grand Junction, CO
Tahleqauh, Guthrie, or Tulsa OK
Hot Springs, AR
Cookeville & Kingsport, TN

Try ****.com for some other insights as well.....hope this helps.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:07 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,516,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagus View Post
Another (yawn) dreamer.

Noplace is perfect.

No crime + cheap + lots of good jobs + perfect weather + not isolated + perfect schools = Does Not Exist

Take a look at the Omaha or Lincoln metro areas in Nebraska. Specifically look at Papillion (south of Omaha) which was named the 6th Best Place in the Nation to Live in 2007 by CNN/Money Magazine. Some of the stated factors for the rating were low crime, good economy, good job base. Its not isolated and if you want 4 seasons its perfect for that.

There is a good discussion occuring in the Nebraska/Omaha forum on the good/bad of Omaha started by "corel" who is also contemplating a move to an area like you. Take a look over there and join in the conversation. It has lots of information and a number of great links to other sources.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:19 PM

196 posts, read 638,437 times
I would check out Cookeville, Tennessee if I were you.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:09 AM

9 posts, read 62,549 times
I'm also looking to start over, & I find Vagas to be rude & offensive. That seems to be the norm with some of these forums, though. Anyway, the OP had a few places in mind-& Missouri wasn't on that list.I lived in Mo. & it's beautiful, but missing something. I also didn't enjoy the tornadoes,that are frequent. Colorado seems to be an excellent choice off that list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.