Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 03:25 PM

23,460 posts, read 44,068,152 times

Advertisements

I've loved reading this thread and seeing some of these cities get their due.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 03:27 PM

23,460 posts, read 44,068,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
No US city is under rated I know some over rated US Cities but people on here can't handle the truth so I will be nice and not say which ones are. Every resident of a under rated/slighted/much maligned city is all in their mind( its too feel sorry they have to live in that city) Residents of any city always feel their city is being slighted for some reason but almost every city feels that way honesty. I have yet to meet anybody on CD that is non bias and can admit their city is over rated.
BTW, I've always thought your hometown is lovely.

Old 03-26-2015, 03:29 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,327,763 times
I never actually been to North Carolina other than its Great Smoky Mountain border with Tennessee, but Raleigh and Charlotte are both growing cities but never get much attention. Charlotte, in fact, is on pace to have over 850,000 people just in the city limits by the next census. It already has jumped Fort Worth since 2010.

Old 03-26-2015, 03:34 PM

650 posts, read 867,608 times
Indianapolis
Tallahassee
Madison
Columbia Missouri

Old 03-26-2015, 04:02 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,808,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Duck View Post
I never actually been to North Carolina other than its Great Smoky Mountain border with Tennessee, but Raleigh and Charlotte are both growing cities but never get much attention. Charlotte, in fact, is on pace to have over 850,000 people just in the city limits by the next census. It already has jumped Fort Worth since 2010.
Charlotte received plenty of media attention last decade and still receives a fair amount. It's a great city but it doesn't come to mind when I think of places that are underrated. If anything, it gets about the appropriate amount of hype for what it offers. Not overrated like Austin but definitely not underrated.

Old 03-26-2015, 04:06 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
What does weather have to do with a city being underrated? And Chicago's 3 solid months of winter (Dec, Jan, Feb) are worth it because the spring, summer, and fall are amazing (minus some hot spells here and there), and the entire city buzzes with an energy rarely found outside of NYC. I loved it!

An underrated city in my book would be Milwaukee. Its a great city, with lots to do, but rarely gets mentioned, and always gets overshadowed by nearby Chicago, unfortunately.
I don't like their weather personally and I would get depressed by their winter. Nothing personal

Old 03-26-2015, 04:13 PM

1,778 posts, read 2,884,347 times
In my many years of travel, I'd nominate Kansas City. Find the folks to be friendly, nice tree-lined neighborhoods, the many fountains and rolling hills. There was a time it somewhat reminded me of Denver without the mountains.

Old 03-31-2015, 03:47 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,311,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
I haven't been to many cities on your list, but I've never heard anyone say anything good about Memphis or Wichita. Would you mind expanding on why you chose those two in particular?

Anyway, these cities seem underrated to me. I went with alphabetical order because I don't want to give the illusion of a complete list, there's still a lot of country I'm excited to see.

Buffalo
Cincinnati
Cleveland
Detroit
Grand Rapids
Indianapolis
Lexington
Louisville
Milwaukee
Oklahoma City
Omaha
Rochester
Sacramento
I havnt been to Rochester, NY and Grand Rapids, MI on your list though its rare to hear those cities in a sentence. Same goes with Wichita and Memphis. Both have 300,000+ in city proper and decent sized metro areas. Though Wichita's is kinda small. I visited both cities and they surprisingly had a good amount of things to offer. Of course it wasn't as nearly as big a Miami or Chicago but those 2 cities are very unknown to some people. There are more people than i can count that don't know anything about Memphis and Wichita. Memphis has St. Jude, Graceland, Civil Rights Museum and many more. Just because people dont say anything good about those 2 cities doesn't necessarily mean its underrated. I consider a underrated city as not being seen on the map often, people not knowing where it is, what it is, or whats there, and a large population center were people often overlook. Don't get me wrong i understand what your saying but both cities have decent amount of things to offer.

Old 04-01-2015, 07:53 PM

603 posts, read 931,293 times
Houston
Dallas-Ft Worth Metroplex
Kansas City
Salt Lake City
Minneapolis-St Paul
Louisville

Old 04-01-2015, 08:10 PM

678 posts, read 875,513 times
Portland, Oregon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.