Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 02:14 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,093,890 times

Advertisements

No, those jokes went away.

However, I still wish that Syracuse's Polish Fest had a light bulb turning contest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 02:16 PM

854 posts, read 1,481,474 times
I think it's mostly their names that people make fun of.

Old 03-31-2015, 06:19 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,331,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
It depends, in places like Chicago, many residents stereotype Polish nationals as being tacky, cheap, drunk, and overly conservative, and their accents are often mocked. Younger Poles, of both genders, are often sexually exoticized, fetishied, and objectified.

However, I didn't see or hear of any prejudices against or stereotyping of third- or fourth-generation Polish Americans.
Are you serious? I thought that only happens to Asian women and mixed race people. That's hilarious.

I always thought the stereotype was just that Polish-Americans are loud, dumb, and low class. They didn't have a very good reputation in the southern Illinois town I grew up in. When you met a white person with a Polish surname in my town, the assumption was always that they would be a crass-talking trailer trash type and if they were wealthy with class then the assumption was they were Jewish.

Old 03-31-2015, 07:11 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,484,749 times
Not in the United States... there are very very few Polish in the USA...

I'm sure there is more prejudice and hatred toward them in the UK.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:20 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,516,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post

There are tons of Poles in Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Buffalo, and Central Pennsylvania.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:51 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,484,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
There are tons of Poles in Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Buffalo, and Central Pennsylvania.
Chicago, NYC, Florida and California i will believe... those are places where most immigrants are immigrating to.. but Detroit, Cleveland, Buffalo and PA? really....?

Old 03-31-2015, 09:33 PM

525 posts, read 815,207 times
Quote:

There are some Polish in the USA but very few? Just visit local Illinois government websites and you will find a lot of documentations in Polish.

Chicago has reputation or used to have as second largest concentration of Polish outside Warsaw. However I think most Polish in Chicago live rather in northwest suburbs like Park Ridge, Arlington Hts, Schaumburg, Streamwood than Chicago city. I never met many in trendy neighborhoods like Lincoln Park.

Northwest side of Chicago used to have large working-class of Polish but it has been replaced mainly by Hispanic population.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:34 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,408,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle242 View Post
There are some Polish but very few? Just visit local Illinois government websites and you will find a lot of documentations in Polish.

Chicago has reputation or used to have as second largest concentration of Polish outside Warsaw. However I think most Polish in Chicago live rather in northwest suburbs like Park Ridge, Arlington Hts, Schaumburg, Streamwood than Chicago city. I never met many in trendy neighborhoods like Lincoln Park.
Yup, Chicago is loaded with Polish people. I'm Polish myself.

Old 03-31-2015, 10:26 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,385,334 times
I am 100% fine with Polish people until I have to spell their last name. Then I start goosestepping.

Old 03-31-2015, 10:26 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:

Seriously? Maybe not where you live in white-bread Minnesota, but there are lots of Poles in the US, including in your neighbor state of Wisconsin.

Quote:
Chicago, NYC, Florida and California i will believe... those are places where most immigrants are immigrating to.. but Detroit, Cleveland, Buffalo and PA? really....?
Many Poles in Pittsburgh, western Pennsylvania in general, eastern Ohio including Cleveland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.