Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 02:05 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,305,427 times

Advertisements

I live in a lovely, safe, rural area in SE Michigan, real cornfield country, yet only 1/2-1 hr. from some larger cities. I have noticed two things over the past couple of years.

First, I am seeing more and more of those lovely orange and navy NY license plates everywhere I go, from small towns to large cities. Second, real estate here is red hot right now, as in, if a house with decent amenities goes on the market, you have to jump on it immediately or it will have an accepted offer, often at full price, within a couple of days. This has been very frustrating for us personally, since DH and I have been trying to move about 15-20 miles south of where we live now to be closer to family and his job. You literally have to scope out the new listings every single day or you miss the boat. There are also new homes going up all over the place, and many of them are bought before they're completed.

Our unemployment rate has been trending down to very acceptable numbers, hovering around 5% right now, and wages tend to be high while the COL is low. I realize that we get cold winters, that's just a fact, but we also have glorious springs, summers, and falls, and as someone who has lived here for almost eighteen years, I can sense that something is up, and I'm wondering if my best kept secret--that this is an awesome place to live--is out of the bag!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 02:22 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times
No. Outmigration from NY State tends to be to the Northeast and to the South, and to the West. Midwest does not get many New Yorkers.

You see lots of NY license plates because NY is the most populous state in that part of the country. It's the same reason you see TX license plates everywhere in the South/Central and CA license plates everywhere in the West.

Old 03-27-2015, 04:12 PM

555 posts, read 861,425 times
people migrate to the midwest?

Old 03-27-2015, 04:16 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,922,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petroglyphin View Post
people migrate to the midwest?
Eventually, even more will...we have water.

Old 03-27-2015, 04:39 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,595,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
No. Outmigration from NY State tends to be to the Northeast and to the South, and to the West. Midwest does not get many New Yorkers.

You see lots of NY license plates because NY is the most populous state in that part of the country. It's the same reason you see TX license plates everywhere in the South/Central and CA license plates everywhere in the West.
Many New Yorkers have moved into Michigan. Certainly not at a rate comparable to the South, but there's plenty of anecdotal evidence of many arriving here.

Though to OP's post, I don't think the real estate here has any correlation to NY out-migration. The fact is that Michigan's economy has turned around since the recession which means people now actually have money to spend to move into better areas which is driving down supply and upping the prices. There is some amount of in-migration due to the job creation, but that's with any area with an improving economy.

Old 03-27-2015, 10:30 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Many New Yorkers have moved into Michigan. Certainly not at a rate comparable to the South, but there's plenty of anecdotal evidence of many arriving here.
But we have Census data. We don't need random internet anecdotes.

Michigan does not receive many people from New York State, or the Northeast, in general. The Census compiles state-to-state migration tables, and no Northeast state comes to Michigan in large numbers.

The biggest feeder areas to Michigan are the Midwest and South, which has probably been true for 100 years.

The most popular states for New Yorkers are NJ, CT, PA and FL (all kind of obvious).

Old 03-28-2015, 02:47 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,595,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
But we have Census data. We don't need random internet anecdotes.

Michigan does not receive many people from New York State, or the Northeast, in general. The Census compiles state-to-state migration tables, and no Northeast state comes to Michigan in large numbers.

The biggest feeder areas to Michigan are the Midwest and South, which has probably been true for 100 years.

The most popular states for New Yorkers are NJ, CT, PA and FL (all kind of obvious).
https://www.census.gov/dataviz/visualizations/028/

Michigan has the second highest number of net in-migrations from New York out of the whole Midwest. Only Ohio is higher. Both of which are even higher than New York to any states out West. New York is Michigan's biggest feeder state. There's also a net gain from a few other Northeastern states.

I never said Michigan was the most popular destination of New Yorkers (I even acknowledge that in my last post), but it is a fact that there is a stream of New Yorkers moving to Michigan.

Old 03-28-2015, 02:50 PM

93,197 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
https://www.census.gov/dataviz/visualizations/028/

Michigan has the second highest number of net in-migrations from New York out of the whole Midwest. Only Ohio is higher. Both of which are even higher than New York to any states out West. New York is Michigan's biggest feeder state. There's also a net gain from a few other Northeastern states.

I never said Michigan was the most popular destination of New Yorkers (I even acknowledge that in my last post), but it is a fact that there is a stream of New Yorkers moving to Michigan.
I wouldn't be surprised if many of those NYers are former auto workers, as some have been transferred to facilities in MI.

Old 03-28-2015, 06:14 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,305,427 times
Interesting observations, and thanks to those who responded.

I wanted to add that when I say "fleeing NY", I don't mean to imply that NY is a terrible place at all. I have been across Upstate NY and is really very lovely, I would never trash talk it.

I primarily meant that people are fleeing the high taxes and COL in the lower part of the state, or at least that's what I keep reading over and over across the various sub-forums here on C-D. It's like people are being priced right out of their homes and being forced to find a place with a more reasonable COL. It seems that the same thing is happening in the West with California natives.

Old 03-28-2015, 07:21 PM

93,197 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Interesting observations, and thanks to those who responded.

I wanted to add that when I say "fleeing NY", I don't mean to imply that NY is a terrible place at all. I have been across Upstate NY and is really very lovely, I would never trash talk it.

I primarily meant that people are fleeing the high taxes and COL in the lower part of the state, or at least that's what I keep reading over and over across the various sub-forums here on C-D. It's like people are being priced right out of their homes and being forced to find a place with a more reasonable COL. It seems that the same thing is happening in the West with California natives.
A thing to consider with NY is that its biggest metro crosses into 3 or 4 states. So, moving to the suburbs/exurbs in the NYC area may mean a move to NJ, CT or even NE PA(aka moving out of the state).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.