Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What dialect is he speaking? Specify sub-region if you can
Northern (Upper Midwest, Inland North, NYC, New England, etc) 22 31.88%
Midland 13 18.84%
Southern 3 4.35%
Western 12 17.39%
General American 10 14.49%
I don't know, never heard anyone talk like this 9 13.04%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 07:57 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,049,648 times

Advertisements

What region of the country does this guy sound like he's from? I gotta admit I am stumped. Sounds maybe Midland* of some kind to me. But, I honestly have no clue. Weirdest accent I've ever heard.

http://youtu.be/NSas5jiAREk

*By Midland I mean the dialect families spanning from the Mid-Atlantic (Pennsylvania, NJ, Delaware, Northern Maryland), going west to Central Ohio, most of Indiana and Illinois, and the lower Midwest and parts of New Mexico.

Also to clear up, I am going with the linguist definiton of "Northern" meaning New England, all of New York, the Great Lakes area, and the Upper Midwest. Some Census designated Northern cities like Philly, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Kansas City, and Omaha are not included because they are in the transitional Midland dialect zone where language is neither Northern or Southern

Last edited by EddieOlSkool; 04-01-2015 at 08:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 08:23 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times
That is an accent of a meathead. They sound the same everywhere

Old 04-01-2015, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
That is an accent of a meathead. They sound the same everywhere
I've been working out in different gyms for over a decade and have heard zero meatheads sound like this. Is this some joke?

Last edited by EddieOlSkool; 04-01-2015 at 10:57 AM..

Old 04-01-2015, 10:59 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
I've been working out in different gyms for over a decade and have heard zero meatheads sound like this. Is this some joke?
Yes

Old 04-01-2015, 12:11 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,185,449 times
Sounds General American to me

Old 04-01-2015, 02:00 PM

267 posts, read 310,967 times
General American

Old 04-01-2015, 02:26 PM

9,468 posts, read 10,794,806 times
I am going with Northern, and specifically the southern Great Lakes area. Northern Ohio, Indiana or even Chicago area. Possibly extreme southern portions of Michigan. However he lacks the upper Midwest sound one finds if you go north of Detroit or Chicago, so no further north than that.

Old 04-01-2015, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I am going with Northern, and specifically the southern Great Lakes area. Northern Ohio, Indiana or even Chicago area. Possibly extreme southern portions of Michigan. However he lacks the upper Midwest sound one finds if you go north of Detroit or Chicago, so no further north than that.
Really? I don't hear a shred of the real nasal way of talking Chicago, Detroit, Milwaukee, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Buffalo, and Rochester have. Also I'm not sure I ever heard Upper Midwest English spoken in the Lower Peninsula, and I've been as far north as Traverse City and Mackinac City.

Here is one dialect map that places most of the Lower Peninsula in the "Chicago Accent" territory:

Another map that places all of the Lower Peninsula in the Inland North Region:

Also, info about the Upper Midwest English

Upper Midwest American English - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyway, back on topic about the video specifically. I wonder why I can't place it. He definitely doesn't sound like anyone in Chicago or Michigan I've known. When I think of Great Lakes sounding people, I think of Joan Cusack, the Belushis, Dennis Farina, and young John Goodman. I don't think he sounds anything like them. Northern Cities vowels are weird. Especially short vowels. A becomes "eea", E becomes "u" (like the u in "but"), I becomes "E" (bit sounds like bet), O becomes a broad A (like the way a Bostonian pronounces it in "pahk ya cah"), and U becomes something like an "O" sound in General American so that but sounds like bought. I don't think he speaks like that with those odd vowels but I will listen again. A tell tale sign for the Inland North Accent is rhyming "on" with "don" but not with "dawn". He rhymes it with "dawn" which is not typical in that area.

Last edited by EddieOlSkool; 04-01-2015 at 03:48 PM..

Old 04-02-2015, 04:08 AM

9,468 posts, read 10,794,806 times
I said possibly Michigan and far southern Michigan if it is Michigan, but more likely northern Ohio or Indiana. That is just my opinion, as the accent is not from the northeast and its definitely not from the south. It also does not sound Canadian either. It doesn't sound like the accents out west either, but I really don't know western accents that well.

Old 04-03-2015, 02:22 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,047,177 times
California, west coast
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.