Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2015, 08:10 AM

2 posts, read 3,619 times

Advertisements

I am very picky person. My wife, not so much.

In any event, I'm not happy where we are living now (in a hot, dry, dusty, isolated town), and I'm trying to see if there is anywhere in the United States that meets all, or at least the majority, of my criteria.

Any help, guidance, suggestions, or advice that you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

So this is what I'm looking for:

Climate criteria:

• Sunny (needs to have more sun than clouds and gray and gloom on either a daily or monthly basis);
• 4-seasons;
• Low to below-moderate humidity (say, average humidity levels at 50% or less);
• Dry snowfalls (so that when it snows, the snow is often dry and puffy and not wet and heavy);
• Clean air;
• Summer temperatures seldom get above 80 or 85 degrees;
• Average windspeeds below 7 mph a day;and
• Ability to grow a garden (vegetables or otherwise).

City criteria:

• Outdoor oriented populace (i.e., hikers, bicyclers, skiers, etc);
• Walkable, car-optional, town with parks and a downtown core;
• College/University in or close to the city;
• Mountains and/or National Parks nearby;
• Moderate housing costs (i.e., $300K could get you a decent 3 bedroom/2 bath house);
• Educated population;
• Near to an airport that either is a hub airport or that offers service to at least two hub airports;
• Population of less than 100,000;
• Has at least one of each of the major big-box stores (if it also had a Costco and an REI, or something of the sort, that would be ideal); and
• In the Mountain time zone.

I understand that I'm probably going to have to compromise on a few of the criteria.

But maybe there is a place that meets most of our requirements--maybe it is in the Central time zone, or maybe it isn't a college town, or whatever. And maybe you know where that place is.

Or maybe there really is a place that satisfies all of our requirements, and you know where that place is.

Either way, could you please tell me if you know of anywhere in the United States that you think, given the criteria set forth above, might be a good fit for me?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 07:14 AM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
I love the alliteration of your thread title!

As I read through your criteria, one city kept on calling its name: DENVER! It has absolutely everything of what you're looking for, except for the part about the population being under 100,000. (Really, though, you can't expect a small town to have a major hub airport, can you?) If you don't want to be in the city proper, try one of its suburbs, maybe Broomfield or Thornton or Boulder.

If you haven't been there before, you should start planning your next vacation. I honestly believe you'll love it.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:52 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatherNotSay View Post
Climate criteria:

• Sunny (needs to have more sun than clouds and gray and gloom on either a daily or monthly basis);
• 4-seasons;
• Low to below-moderate humidity (say, average humidity levels at 50% or less);
• Dry snowfalls (so that when it snows, the snow is often dry and puffy and not wet and heavy);
• Clean air;
• Summer temperatures seldom get above 80 or 85 degrees;
• Average windspeeds below 7 mph a day;and
• Ability to grow a garden (vegetables or otherwise).

City criteria:

• Outdoor oriented populace (i.e., hikers, bicyclers, skiers, etc);
• Walkable, car-optional, town with parks and a downtown core;
• College/University in or close to the city;
• Mountains and/or National Parks nearby;
• Moderate housing costs (i.e., $300K could get you a decent 3 bedroom/2 bath house);
• Educated population;
• Near to an airport that either is a hub airport or that offers service to at least two hub airports;
• Population of less than 100,000;
• Has at least one of each of the major big-box stores (if it also had a Costco and an REI, or something of the sort, that would be ideal); and
• In the Mountain time zone.
Outside of the Mountain time zone, I'd say Asheville fits your criteria otherwise. Perhaps you could just set your clocks back two hours and deal with it?

Old 04-03-2015, 08:31 AM

1,700 posts, read 5,929,575 times
I agree with bus man. Look in the Denver area.

Other possibilities may be Missoula or Bozeman. They don't have major airports, so you'll most likely have a layover in Seattle, SLC, Minneapolis, or Denver.

But they definitely fit most everything else:

Sunny, four seasons, low humidity, dry snow (as far as I know), clean air, mild summers, outdoor oriented residents, college towns, walkable, near mountains, low cost of living, populations less than 100K, and in the Mountain time zone.

I know Missoula has big box stores, but no REI. However, smaller, independent outdoor stores can be found in both Missoula and Bozeman.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:51 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Perhaps Pottstown or Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania, present possibilities.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:56 AM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Perhaps Pottstown or Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania, present possibilities.
Perplexed by posited potentialities, but praise for perfect presentation!

Old 04-03-2015, 01:51 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,955,230 times
Flagstaff AZ meets mostly all of your criteria, although its cheaper to drive to the Airport in Phoenix than to fly out of the Flagstaff airport. Towns of less than 100k are not going to have a decent airport.

Old 04-03-2015, 02:17 PM

678 posts, read 875,271 times
Denver or Salt Lake City easily.

Old 04-03-2015, 02:23 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Nope it don't exist.

Compromise: Reno/Lake Tahoe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.