Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the most boring drive in the US?
Interstate 5 between Santa Clarita and Stockton, CA 38 15.14%
Interstate 8 between Casa Grande, AZ and Alpine, CA 5 1.99%
Interstate 10 between El Paso and San Antonio, TX 49 19.52%
Interstate 29 between Sioux Falls, SD and Fargo, ND 8 3.19%
Interstate 40 between Flagstaff, AZ and Barstow, CA 8 3.19%
Interstate 57 between Interstate 55 and Urbana, IL 49 19.52%
Interstate 70 between Topeka, KS and Aurora, CO 61 24.30%
Interstate 80 between Sparks, NV and Salt Lake City, UT 11 4.38%
Interstate 90 between Rapid City and Sioux Falls, SD 8 3.19%
Interstate 94 between Billings, MT and Fargo, ND 14 5.58%
Voters: 251. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 07:25 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
Haha I did that drive at night... Left SF at 5 PM and got to LA at about midnight. I thought I would never get to LA lol

Poll is posted btw!
That's why when I drive from the Bay Area to LA, in Lathrop, I take 120 to Manteca and then take the 99, and pick up 5 again in Wheeler Ridge right before the Grapevine. You at least go through some cities with that route (Modesto, Turlock, Merced, Madera, Fresno, Visalia, Tulare, Delano, and Bakersfield)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2017, 07:35 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Anyways, my vote is for one that isn't on here. US 54 between Wichita, KS and Dalhart, TX.

For Interstates, it would have to be I-76 (goes from Denver to near Big Springs, NE)

Old 02-25-2017, 08:43 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times
I dun remember ever voting on this but apparently I voted for the one in South Dakota? Weird cuz I never been up there. I actually appreciate a lot of various sceneries on the highway. I love the open plain views of Kansas, Oklahoma and north and west Texas. I love the pine forests of Mississippi, southern Alabama and the Florida panhandle, I love the mountainous terrain of east Tennessee. Any highway that showcases peaceful farmland, forests, cute small towns or goes through a major US city is one I enjoy travelling on. To me, the worst stretch of highway is probably I-35E from Denton, Texas before you get to Dallas. There's too much construction, nothing but suburban sprawl, no real scenery. I prefer I-35W to Fort Worth better because there's at least farmland to look at. But once you start to enter Fort Worth, its construction hell. Endless construction, highway bridges with giant concrete walls and nothing but warehouses and car lots are what I can't stand in terms of scenery. I love open fields or woodlands. I love travelling in the Deep South and Midwest. I love seeing the landscape get drier in West Texas, but outside of actually travelling through downtown Dallas, Fort Worth or the rural outskirts of the metroplex, the DFW area is boring and tedious to drive through. Note, its the eyesores of construction and metallic boxes I don't like, I appreciate anything natural.

Old 02-26-2017, 12:30 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,552,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I dun remember ever voting on this but apparently I voted for the one in South Dakota? Weird cuz I never been up there. I actually appreciate a lot of various sceneries on the highway. I love the open plain views of Kansas, Oklahoma and north and west Texas. I love the pine forests of Mississippi, southern Alabama and the Florida panhandle, I love the mountainous terrain of east Tennessee. Any highway that showcases peaceful farmland, forests, cute small towns or goes through a major US city is one I enjoy travelling on. To me, the worst stretch of highway is probably I-35E from Denton, Texas before you get to Dallas. There's too much construction, nothing but suburban sprawl, no real scenery. I prefer I-35W to Fort Worth better because there's at least farmland to look at. But once you start to enter Fort Worth, its construction hell. Endless construction, highway bridges with giant concrete walls and nothing but warehouses and car lots are what I can't stand in terms of scenery. I love open fields or woodlands. I love travelling in the Deep South and Midwest. I love seeing the landscape get drier in West Texas, but outside of actually travelling through downtown Dallas, Fort Worth or the rural outskirts of the metroplex, the DFW area is boring and tedious to drive through. Note, its the eyesores of construction and metallic boxes I don't like, I appreciate anything natural.
If you like the open views in Kansas, you probably wouldn't mind the SD drive. It's basically 300 miles of open views with an 80 mph speed limit. You start in farmland, then get to the rolling hills and river bluffs, wide open ranchland, then badlands and finally, the Black Hills. Turn the music up, set your cruise control and enjoy!

Old 02-26-2017, 01:53 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
If you like the open views in Kansas, you probably wouldn't mind the SD drive. It's basically 300 miles of open views with an 80 mph speed limit. You start in farmland, then get to the rolling hills and river bluffs, wide open ranchland, then badlands and finally, the Black Hills. Turn the music up, set your cruise control and enjoy!
I definitely hope to make my way around those parts one day. I think the most boring drive for me would be driving across Nevada from south to north. I flew over there and while very beautiful and different, it was so lonely and desolate and endless.

Old 02-27-2017, 07:01 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
RE: Billings MT to Fargo ND...done it many times. I didn't vote for it for a couple of reasons. First, the Theodore Roosevelt National Park is very interesting, though the route does seem to always be under construction. Bismark, ND is actually a nice State Capital.

Also important to keep in mind, Montana is the fourth largest State in land area in the country, (after AK and TX, and just a bit less than CA). So if you understand that Billings is only about midway through the State, the route is certainly not unexpectedly long.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:11 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,098,877 times
Columbus to Chicago is pretty damn boring.

Old 03-03-2017, 04:29 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,744,096 times
One time, I drove on I-80 between Reno/Sparks, NV to Salt Lake City, UT. Nothing but an ugly brown desert for the whole seven hours it took me. The next time I go to SLC, I'll fly.

Old 03-04-2017, 11:40 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,028,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I-10 from Pensacola to Tallahassee should be on this list.
Except in reverse. At sunset. Then it's not just boring, but unbearable.

Old 03-07-2017, 01:14 PM

1,778 posts, read 2,883,210 times
I-80 between Cheyenne and Evanston, WY is no picnic. That's an area you want to speed through in the summer and pray you don't get blown off into a ditch in the winter. Continuous 40+mph crosswinds with occasional blinding dust and snow storms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.