Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the most boring drive in the US?
Interstate 5 between Santa Clarita and Stockton, CA 38 15.14%
Interstate 8 between Casa Grande, AZ and Alpine, CA 5 1.99%
Interstate 10 between El Paso and San Antonio, TX 49 19.52%
Interstate 29 between Sioux Falls, SD and Fargo, ND 8 3.19%
Interstate 40 between Flagstaff, AZ and Barstow, CA 8 3.19%
Interstate 57 between Interstate 55 and Urbana, IL 49 19.52%
Interstate 70 between Topeka, KS and Aurora, CO 61 24.30%
Interstate 80 between Sparks, NV and Salt Lake City, UT 11 4.38%
Interstate 90 between Rapid City and Sioux Falls, SD 8 3.19%
Interstate 94 between Billings, MT and Fargo, ND 14 5.58%
Voters: 251. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 11:59 AM

4,606 posts, read 2,994,775 times

Advertisements

I haven't travelled most of the roads on the 'most boring' list, but I'll second the opinion about I-5 through California's San Joaquin Valley. It's flat, brown, and dusty... and stinky when you're near the giant cattle feedlot (how about that: a landmark you can smell). But I'll be traveling it in about a week -- perhaps this time of year, it won't be brown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2018, 03:59 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,974,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Very flat areas for sure, but at least you have some trees to look at, and during the warmer months you might be able to catch a thunderstorm show.

But going from San Antonio to El Paso, there's nothing happening on the ground or in the sky and you wish you could be airlifted out of that car
I always heard that this drive was the worst before having to take it to make the move from Houston to LA a couple of years ago. I stocked up in Boerne (San Antonio suburb) on drinks/snacks and filled the tank up (planning for stops using Google to find the cheapest gas prices while I still had quality cell coverage lol).

I have to say... it wasn't that bad. Maybe it was because I was making an exciting move and knew I probably would not be doing that drive again for a really long time. Once you hit Kerrville, the speed limit goes up to 80MPH and those hills can be pretty dramatic. It was interesting to see all of these small towns of a few hundred people spaced out from each other with an exit or two each, the random ranch house all alone, the one random hitch-hiker I saw, etc. It felt like a completely different world than east of I-35. Traffic got pretty sparse after Kerrville. At times, a minute or two would go by before there'd be another car on either side of the interstate. I played a game where if there was a car behind me as I was going uphill, I'd try to "lose" that car by the time they came up over that same hill by speeding my ass off going 100MPH for a short stretch in the "valley" (and it was always clear for me).

Closer to El Paso, I did catch a border patrol chase. Two guys in an early 90s Mercedes were driving east on the westbound lanes of I-10. Luckily I was already in the right lane so they sped right past me (and were smiling!) in the left lane so we avoided contact. But there were at least 10-12 border patrol cars coming from every direction it felt like. Point is, that was an underrated drive. Granted, I did make the drive between 8AM-4PM so it was nice and sunny the whole way but it's not as boring as people make it out to be because the hills, desert, and west Texas mountains are interesting to look at.

Old 03-25-2018, 04:35 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,405,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
I always heard that this drive was the worst before having to take it to make the move from Houston to LA a couple of years ago. I stocked up in Boerne (San Antonio suburb) on drinks/snacks and filled the tank up (planning for stops using Google to find the cheapest gas prices while I still had quality cell coverage lol).

I have to say... it wasn't that bad. Maybe it was because I was making an exciting move and knew I probably would not be doing that drive again for a really long time. Once you hit Kerrville, the speed limit goes up to 80MPH and those hills can be pretty dramatic. It was interesting to see all of these small towns of a few hundred people spaced out from each other with an exit or two each, the random ranch house all alone, the one random hitch-hiker I saw, etc. It felt like a completely different world than east of I-35. Traffic got pretty sparse after Kerrville. At times, a minute or two would go by before there'd be another car on either side of the interstate. I played a game where if there was a car behind me as I was going uphill, I'd try to "lose" that car by the time they came up over that same hill by speeding my ass off going 100MPH for a short stretch in the "valley" (and it was always clear for me).

Closer to El Paso, I did catch a border patrol chase. Two guys in an early 90s Mercedes were driving east on the westbound lanes of I-10. Luckily I was already in the right lane so they sped right past me (and were smiling!) in the left lane so we avoided contact. But there were at least 10-12 border patrol cars coming from every direction it felt like. Point is, that was an underrated drive. Granted, I did make the drive between 8AM-4PM so it was nice and sunny the whole way but it's not as boring as people make it out to be because the hills, desert, and west Texas mountains are interesting to look at.
I agree. I drive a black luxury SUV and have been pulled over on i10 doing 80, they didnt say I was seeding but ask the citizenship of all in the car. It is a long stretch but if one pushes the limit some say cruise control on something starting with a nine the trip feels quick. Once made the trip later and made a huge error as then the night time lmit was 65... no fun at all. If you want to feel ike a whole other country... head down to big bend.. awesome and forlorn looking with raw natural beauty, Cell service is not assured down there today even lol. Nearly everytime I did this drive, everyone driving west on I10 was routed to pull through the border patrol faclity just west of Las Cruses for a quick question then letting most vehicles go in less than 15 seconds

Old 03-25-2018, 04:37 PM

12,830 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Not listed, but any road involving leaving or going to Corpus Christi is pretty boring.

Old 03-25-2018, 04:44 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,252,722 times
The only one of those drives that I have taken is I-70 across Kansas and yes it is boring. But I thought I would die driving from Flagstaff to Kansas City, through New Mexico and Oklahoma. I have ever been so glad to see the green, green grass of home. That song was actually running through my mind.

Old 04-13-2018, 04:02 PM

656 posts, read 813,176 times
Boring drives are flat. Phoenix to LA is awful. Then there is Nevada, and the Great Plains.

Interesting stuff is on the coasts and in mountainous areas, e.g. the Intermountain West.

Old 04-23-2018, 03:39 PM

2,326 posts, read 3,934,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post

My guess is that the chief complaint about I-10 in Texas is that the biggest town between El Paso and Kerrville (a distance of 490 mi) is Fort Stockton, population 8500. The latter town probably punches above its weight for hotels because of that, although I'm sure the oil fields around it don't hurt.

Cell coverage is spotty in and around Junction for some reason, which is ironic since it sits on both a cross-country interstate and a popular highway (83) for people from San Antonio and points south to take to get to the TX Panhandle, Northern New Mexico, and Colorado, among other places.

Old 04-23-2018, 03:43 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,137,694 times
THe rt 66 stretch from Arkansas through Oklahoma and TexAS is pretty bleak.

Old 04-23-2018, 06:04 PM

17,788 posts, read 13,677,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
Rt 66 doesn't go through Arkansas. And the part that goes through eastern Oklahoma is certainly not "bleak". It's a forest. Western Oklahoma and the Texas panhandle aren't beautiful but aren't as stark as some of the ones listed on the poll.

Old 04-23-2018, 09:42 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,045,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
I thought the same about traveling down the California coast on the Pacific Coast Highway, heck half the entire view is nothing but endless water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.