Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the most boring drive in the US?
Interstate 5 between Santa Clarita and Stockton, CA 38 15.14%
Interstate 8 between Casa Grande, AZ and Alpine, CA 5 1.99%
Interstate 10 between El Paso and San Antonio, TX 49 19.52%
Interstate 29 between Sioux Falls, SD and Fargo, ND 8 3.19%
Interstate 40 between Flagstaff, AZ and Barstow, CA 8 3.19%
Interstate 57 between Interstate 55 and Urbana, IL 49 19.52%
Interstate 70 between Topeka, KS and Aurora, CO 61 24.30%
Interstate 80 between Sparks, NV and Salt Lake City, UT 11 4.38%
Interstate 90 between Rapid City and Sioux Falls, SD 8 3.19%
Interstate 94 between Billings, MT and Fargo, ND 14 5.58%
Voters: 251. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2020, 08:52 PM

118 posts, read 121,426 times

Advertisements

Ah yes 70 through Kansas. That one. There's a town on the Kansas/Colorado border that claims it has gas and it does not. I was traveling there with my family and we had made the mistake of not getting gas before attempting to get to Colorado, tried to stop there because we were on empty, and there was nothing but depression. Nervewracking 12 miles to get to the nearest gas station. We made it, though.

The most boring drive I experienced was through Illinois, though. I think it was 57.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2020, 09:25 PM

509 posts, read 433,062 times
NTwo very boring drives I've done were from Birmingham, Alabama to New Orleans and the stretch from Columbia SC to Savannah. Both drives made me want to pull over and just fall asleep. Last time I went to Savannah a few weekends ago I just flew. Never again will I do that drive alone down 95. Last time I went to Asheville last Christmas I flew too and last time to Charlotte last year I took the train. I think I'm just over driving in general. Would rather just drink, read, and sleep and not think about traveling.

Last edited by dbcook1; 02-06-2020 at 09:34 PM..

Old 02-06-2020, 10:04 PM

11,790 posts, read 7,999,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerguelen View Post
Ah yes 70 through Kansas. That one. There's a town on the Kansas/Colorado border that claims it has gas and it does not. I was traveling there with my family and we had made the mistake of not getting gas before attempting to get to Colorado, tried to stop there because we were on empty, and there was nothing but depression. Nervewracking 12 miles to get to the nearest gas station. We made it, though.

The most boring drive I experienced was through Illinois, though. I think it was 57.
Yup, like I stated in my previous post, after you pass KC you MUST make sure your trip is planned or running out of gas is a very big risk.

Old 02-06-2020, 11:43 PM

15,417 posts, read 9,065,606 times
Anything across the Midwest. I-70, I-80, I-90, I-94, it doesn't matter. How many hundreds of miles of mind-numbing wheat fields can a person look at? I don't think I-5 in the Central Valley is as bad. At least California has a lot of orchards and a variety of other agriculture to look at, not just one crop. I'm not a super big fan of desert landscapes, but it's definitely not as bad as the Midwest. At least there are mountains to look at. So if you can push your speed up to 90, 95 mph, a desert drive is not that bad.

Old 02-07-2020, 04:25 AM

11,790 posts, read 7,999,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Anything across the Midwest. I-70, I-80, I-90, I-94, it doesn't matter. How many hundreds of miles of mind-numbing wheat fields can a person look at? I don't think I-5 in the Central Valley is as bad. At least California has a lot of orchards and a variety of other agriculture to look at, not just one crop. I'm not a super big fan of desert landscapes, but it's definitely not as bad as the Midwest. At least there are mountains to look at. So if you can push your speed up to 90, 95 mph, a desert drive is not that bad.
I prefer CA-99 to I-5 ... I like that road.

Old 02-11-2020, 03:59 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,667,412 times
I-95 from Jacksonville to Richmond should be considered.

As should I-75 from Tampa to Atlanta.

Old 02-11-2020, 04:45 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,404,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Definitely a lot of the Midwest, but anything and everything? Sounds like you've never driven through here before, or at least haven't been through all the states. Iowa has some surprisingly beautiful rolling hills, as do many of the neighboring states. Wisconsin is also not as flat as you may think, even has some beautiful rock formations along I-94 in the central part of the state. I will agree central Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio can be pretty boring do drive through, but there are definitely some not so bad parts to drive through.

Old 02-11-2020, 04:59 PM

16,077 posts, read 10,738,506 times
If you ever drove I-70 across the length of Kansas and pondered the southern horizon thinking "Gee, I wonder what's out there way off in the distance?" Well, I drove across the full length of Kansas on back roads (both ways) and I can tell you that there ain't nothin' out there. It can be very pretty (as a photographer's subject) but it can be a bit weird and even unsettling with the emptiness in many places.

Old 02-11-2020, 06:00 PM

15,417 posts, read 9,065,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
Definitely a lot of the Midwest, but anything and everything? Sounds like you've never driven through here before, or at least haven't been through all the states. Iowa has some surprisingly beautiful rolling hills, as do many of the neighboring states. Wisconsin is also not as flat as you may think, even has some beautiful rock formations along I-94 in the central part of the state. I will agree central Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio can be pretty boring do drive through, but there are definitely some not so bad parts to drive through.
I was born in the midwest. I have been back a few times. Each time I've been back, it feels like I died and went to hell. It's just that bad. I need mountains and trees, not rolling hills. But most of the midwest is not even rolling hills. Is just flat. Even the desert is not generally that flat. Except for the Black Hills, there is not a lot that interests me, east of the Rocky Mountains.

Old 02-12-2020, 10:55 AM

3,649 posts, read 4,499,104 times
I-40 between Memphis and Little Rock is pretty mind-numbing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.