Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the most boring drive in the US?
Interstate 5 between Santa Clarita and Stockton, CA 38 15.14%
Interstate 8 between Casa Grande, AZ and Alpine, CA 5 1.99%
Interstate 10 between El Paso and San Antonio, TX 49 19.52%
Interstate 29 between Sioux Falls, SD and Fargo, ND 8 3.19%
Interstate 40 between Flagstaff, AZ and Barstow, CA 8 3.19%
Interstate 57 between Interstate 55 and Urbana, IL 49 19.52%
Interstate 70 between Topeka, KS and Aurora, CO 61 24.30%
Interstate 80 between Sparks, NV and Salt Lake City, UT 11 4.38%
Interstate 90 between Rapid City and Sioux Falls, SD 8 3.19%
Interstate 94 between Billings, MT and Fargo, ND 14 5.58%
Voters: 251. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2020, 10:58 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,972,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Anything across the Midwest. I-70, I-80, I-90, I-94, it doesn't matter. How many hundreds of miles of mind-numbing wheat fields can a person look at? I don't think I-5 in the Central Valley is as bad. At least California has a lot of orchards and a variety of other agriculture to look at, not just one crop. I'm not a super big fan of desert landscapes, but it's definitely not as bad as the Midwest. At least there are mountains to look at. So if you can push your speed up to 90, 95 mph, a desert drive is not that bad.
I-5 is no where near as bad because you also get numerous elevation changes along with the crop views. 99 is better if you want some cities to look at (cheaper gas and 50x more food options too).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2020, 11:10 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,754,734 times
The NJ Turnpike is the worst drive I have ever been on.

Old 02-12-2020, 11:59 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,804,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I-20 Texas Abilene to El Paso is the winner in this category hands down.
I did this drive for the first time over the holidays this year and I really liked once you get to Pecos. The Trans-Pecos region of Texas is actually quite unique and interesting in my opinion. I do agree with you on Abilene up through Midland-Odessa is incredibly boring.

Old 02-12-2020, 09:41 PM

589 posts, read 1,106,565 times
I don't see all of the right choices here I need to have SOME scenery. This could be mountains, hills, or urban areas. Of the list, my vote was for i-70 across Kansas. But, it is not the only one as bad. i-70 from St. Louis through Columbus is just about as bad, say when Indy pops up. I would also add i-75 south of Atlanta into Florida, and i-80 across Iowa. Finally i-55 in the southern part of Missouri through Arkansas into Memphis.

Living in St. Louis, the most scenic drive out of the city is i-44 southeast toward Springfield.

Old 02-12-2020, 11:20 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
Nice long lasting thread here, and it seems to capture a lot of attention because most of us use our fantastic Interstate System that most of us just take for granted. Thanks mostly to President Eisenhower in the 50's after he visited Germany and thought the US should meet and beat their autobahn system. But more importantly, the system was built due to the danger of a nuclear war and being able to move equipment and people quickly. Nonetheless, we have the best national highway system in the world. Boring in places? Obviously, yes. But it wasn't built to be for a Sunday drive.

https://www.history.com/topics/us-st...highway-system

Old 02-13-2020, 11:05 AM

16,068 posts, read 10,726,642 times
Boring stretches of highway are made a little more tolerable if you know a bit of history or geography/geology for the area. Crossing Kansas or Nebraska is much better today than when people did it for weeks staring at the hind end of a mule or an ox. As boring as the scenery is, it's better than that. That I-55 stretch mentioned above through SE Missouri and south to Memphis is famous for tremendous earthquakes and it was once the point where the Mississippi River emptied into the Gulf of Mexico. The low hills to the west of I-55 (Crowley's Ridge) were possibly off shore islands. Granted, from El Paso to San Antonio is mind numbing.

Old 02-13-2020, 11:13 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Duck View Post
I selected Interstate 10 because it's the only one I've traveled. (along with 20 from the terminus to around Midland) Ugh, I hated it! We were visiting El Paso and while it was fun, I certainly did not care for the drive. I was young though, and there were hardly any cars, so I got a few dozen trucks to honk. Some multiple times. I guess there's a bright side in everything.

However, I think the drive through Oklahoma, Kansas, etc. should be listed. HORRIBLE. NOTHING. Not even any good scenery to look at like the mountains of West Texas!
You have to be well off of I-40 in western Oklahoma to see some buttes and rocky hills, like on Highway 51 and Highway 62. You're right about Kansas. The western half of Kansas is about all ruler flat and treeless.

Old 02-13-2020, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I-40 from about Conway, Arkansas to Amarillo, TX is mindnumbingly boring. It's especially bad west of Fort Smith once you get into Oklahoma. West of Amarillo it gets a little more interesting because you start getting into the transition zone from great plains to the desert southwest.
Once again, you got to get well away from I-40 to see scenery in Oklahoma. Of course, very few people want to prolong the trip by doing that.

Old 02-13-2020, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltx9412 View Post
The looks the people gave me when I was there were absolutely weird. I'm Asian from Alabama and live in Texas, but have never experienced such thing in a while.
If the towns have an Interstate next to them, the people there should be quite used to seeing different people.

Old 02-13-2020, 11:39 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
A lot of big road trip type of drives in the midwest below Southern Minnesota/Wisconsin are pretty boring drives. Not everywhere but many of those - pretty damn boring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.