Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the most boring drive in the US?
Interstate 5 between Santa Clarita and Stockton, CA 38 15.14%
Interstate 8 between Casa Grande, AZ and Alpine, CA 5 1.99%
Interstate 10 between El Paso and San Antonio, TX 49 19.52%
Interstate 29 between Sioux Falls, SD and Fargo, ND 8 3.19%
Interstate 40 between Flagstaff, AZ and Barstow, CA 8 3.19%
Interstate 57 between Interstate 55 and Urbana, IL 49 19.52%
Interstate 70 between Topeka, KS and Aurora, CO 61 24.30%
Interstate 80 between Sparks, NV and Salt Lake City, UT 11 4.38%
Interstate 90 between Rapid City and Sioux Falls, SD 8 3.19%
Interstate 94 between Billings, MT and Fargo, ND 14 5.58%
Voters: 251. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2020, 02:38 PM

451 posts, read 364,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCityMike View Post
Finally i-55 in the southern part of Missouri through Arkansas into Memphis.
At least on that drive you pass through cotton fields which are kind of interesting because you aren't used to them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2020, 05:07 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,809,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Once again, you got to get well away from I-40 to see scenery in Oklahoma. Of course, very few people want to prolong the trip by doing that.
A couple of summers ago I took a trip up to Colorado and went through the Oklahoma panhandle. Up there it's both boring and interesting at the same time. It's interesting simply because of how isolated it is. It has a very different feel compared to the main body of the state.

412 from Tulsa to Northwest Arkansas is a pretty nice drive. Also whatever that highway is that runs through McAllister and runs south through Sherman, TX before entering the DFW metroplex.

The Wichita Mountains are probably the most scenic area in the entire state and those are in the far southwest.

I-40 however, is a pretty boring drive, with the eastern half of the state being worse than the western in my opinion.

Old 02-13-2020, 05:45 PM

17,790 posts, read 13,682,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
A couple of summers ago I took a trip up to Colorado and went through the Oklahoma panhandle. Up there it's both boring and interesting at the same time. It's interesting simply because of how isolated it is. It has a very different feel compared to the main body of the state.

412 from Tulsa to Northwest Arkansas is a pretty nice drive. Also whatever that highway is that runs through McAllister and runs south through Sherman, TX before entering the DFW metroplex.

The Wichita Mountains are probably the most scenic area in the entire state and those are in the far southwest.

I-40 however, is a pretty boring drive, with the eastern half of the state being worse than the western in my opinion.
I'd give SE Oklahoma a solid edge over the Wichitas as being the most scenic part of Oklahoma although the Wichitas are more unique in that there is no place else exactly like them in the country.

And I-40 east is much greener than west with a couple of nice spots on it (Tiger Mtn and the Cookson Hills). To me the only part of I-40 west that is all that interesting going west is the area between the Calumet turnoff and the Canadian River bridge... mostly because that is the only spot that resembles I-40 east. LOL.

There are some high spots on I-40 west that provide some nice vistas and sunsets though.

I-40 isn't the greatest as far as scenery but it's certainly not the worst.

Old 02-13-2020, 09:27 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I agree. I found the far west end of the panhandle most interesting where the buttes start rising and the highway is no longer lined by fences. It gives off an eerie feeling, like it's literally no man's land.

Old 02-27-2020, 04:46 PM

1,850 posts, read 1,138,158 times
I-90 between Seattle and Spokane WA. Boring AND ugly.

Old 02-27-2020, 05:05 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,937,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbkr5 View Post
I hear you about some of those stretches of nothing in the middle of the state, but along that route you do cross the Cascades and the Columbia river/plateau, and westbound on a clear day you can have views of Mt. Rainier 150-200 miles away, as well as mountains in the background for much of the trip. Just my opinion, but it's far, far, far less boring than taking any of the major interstates across the Great Plains (looking at you I-70 in Western KS/Eastern CO) or even a lot of areas in the Upper Midwest or South!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDjJU2MY3SE

Old 02-27-2020, 05:12 PM

6,376 posts, read 4,995,543 times
Quote:
Disagree with this one. The Cascades and the Columbia River gorge area around Vantage are pretty great - yeah, most of that stretch of 90 is agricultural, but it has some nice rolling hills and you can see mountains in the distance, unlike much of the country. And Ellensburg isn't bad as far as roadside towns go; I spent a day once exploring it when the mountain passes up to Leavenworth were closed from a sudden storm.

Old 02-27-2020, 06:40 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,089,823 times
Quote:
I 1000% disagree. That whole stretch is fascinating to drive through, considering all of the very sharp and dramatic climate transitions that are made along the way. You go from evergreen forest in Spokane, to brown and dusty plains, to straight-up dirt desert, then the surprisingly scenic Columbia River scablands, and then the beautiful Cascades after that. There's no monotony on that drive at all; I really enjoy that stretch of I-90.

Old 02-27-2020, 06:46 PM

8,859 posts, read 6,859,567 times
I was a passenger from Richmond to DC a year ago. It was an endless alley of sameness with trees on both sides. There was just nothing to look at. And the trees were too far away to provide shade.

Old 02-27-2020, 07:15 PM

1,066 posts, read 891,918 times
Quote:
You must have never been on a truly boring route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.