Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the most boring drive in the US?
Interstate 5 between Santa Clarita and Stockton, CA 38 15.14%
Interstate 8 between Casa Grande, AZ and Alpine, CA 5 1.99%
Interstate 10 between El Paso and San Antonio, TX 49 19.52%
Interstate 29 between Sioux Falls, SD and Fargo, ND 8 3.19%
Interstate 40 between Flagstaff, AZ and Barstow, CA 8 3.19%
Interstate 57 between Interstate 55 and Urbana, IL 49 19.52%
Interstate 70 between Topeka, KS and Aurora, CO 61 24.30%
Interstate 80 between Sparks, NV and Salt Lake City, UT 11 4.38%
Interstate 90 between Rapid City and Sioux Falls, SD 8 3.19%
Interstate 94 between Billings, MT and Fargo, ND 14 5.58%
Voters: 251. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2020, 08:03 PM

15,421 posts, read 9,083,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post
I hear you about some of those stretches of nothing in the middle of the state, but along that route you do cross the Cascades and the Columbia river/plateau, and westbound on a clear day you can have views of Mt. Rainier 150-200 miles away, as well as mountains in the background for much of the trip. Just my opinion, but it's far, far, far less boring than taking any of the major interstates across the Great Plains (looking at you I-70 in Western KS/Eastern CO) or even a lot of areas in the Upper Midwest or South!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDjJU2MY3SE
The first half of that is pretty bad. I don't see any views of Mt. Rainier until about Ellensburg, which is about 50 miles, not 150-200 miles. But the second half is in my opinion some of the most beautiful part of the country. So over all I would say on average that is a pretty nice drive. Also that nothing section from Spokane to the Columbia River is about 150 miles. In the Midwest you get about 600 to 900 miles of nothing. Eastern Washington is not my favorite drive, but I would choose that over the Midwest anytime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2020, 09:36 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,939,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
The first half of that is pretty bad. I don't see any views of Mt. Rainier until about Ellensburg, which is about 50 miles, not 150-200 miles. But the second half is in my opinion some of the most beautiful part of the country. So over all I would say on average that is a pretty nice drive. Also that nothing section from Spokane to the Columbia River is about 150 miles. In the Midwest you get about 600 to 900 miles of nothing. Eastern Washington is not my favorite drive, but I would choose that over the Midwest anytime.
There are plenty of pics out there of Mt. Rainier from Othello, Moses Lake and even Ritzville (though some are undoubtedly Adams, not Rainier). There are also a decent amount of threads talking about it being one of the mountains visible from the furthest distance, which makes sense if you look at the topography-no trees and nothing blocking the view except the low ridges near Yakima that are dwarfed by the volcanoes. There's also about a 1000 foot rise between Moses Lake and Ritzville that helps compensate for the curvature of the earth at that distance. My wife and I have seen Rainier numerous times from that area, though I've never owned a camera with a zoom capable of getting a reasonable pic. Anyway, on a clear day westbound, it's worth keeping an eye out on the horizon from way out!

From Ritzville:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/thevie...re/5824903083/

Between Moses Lake and the Columbia River:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/tnano/189530517

Interesting discussion on the subject:
https://www.summitpost.org/phpBB3/lo...ed-t44409.html

Line of sight tool:
HeyWhatsThat

Old 02-27-2020, 09:38 PM

700 posts, read 422,416 times
Anything in the Midwest is a boring drive.’
End thread.

Old 02-27-2020, 10:09 PM

Quote:
There are plenty of pics out there of Mt. Rainier from Othello, Moses Lake and even Ritzville (though some are undoubtedly Adams, not Rainier). There are also a decent amount of threads talking about it being one of the mountains visible from the furthest distance, which makes sense if you look at the topography-no trees and nothing blocking the view except the low ridges near Yakima that are dwarfed by the volcanoes. There's also about a 1000 foot rise between Moses Lake and Ritzville that helps compensate for the curvature of the earth at that distance. My wife and I have seen Rainier numerous times from that area, though I've never owned a camera with a zoom capable of getting a reasonable pic. Anyway, on a clear day westbound, it's worth keeping an eye out on the horizon from way out!

From Ritzville:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/thevie...re/5824903083/

Between Moses Lake and the Columbia River:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/tnano/189530517

Interesting discussion on the subject:
https://www.summitpost.org/phpBB3/lo...ed-t44409.html

Line of sight tool:
HeyWhatsThat
Yeah, well Mount Evans can be seen from Kansas too, but that doesn't improve the drive on I-70. Nobody cares about a dot on the horizon.

Old 02-27-2020, 10:18 PM

8,500 posts, read 4,744,511 times
57-55 with ChamBana is the only one of those I find most boring. I’m a bit of a desert rat, so I find the desert routes to kind of be me humming along in my happy place. I’m rarely in as good a mood as I am in a desert or West Coast place.

The ones in the Dakotas might come close, but I haven’t actually been that way much.

I would actually say that I55 from Memphis, north to the I57 split is my boring place, and boring for hours more pretty much no matter what direction you take after that.

Old 02-27-2020, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Yeah, well Mount Evans can be seen from Kansas too, but that doesn't improve the drive on I-70. Nobody cares about a dot on the horizon.
LOL, I wasn't trying to argue with you. Actually I agree with you completely with your take on both WA and CO. I was just pointing out that you can frequently get views of Mt. Rainier-and sometimes pretty cool ones at that- from far more than 50 miles away.

Old 02-28-2020, 12:00 AM

Quote:
LOL, I wasn't trying to argue with you. Actually I agree with you completely with your take on both WA and CO. I was just pointing out that you can frequently get views of Mt. Rainier-and sometimes pretty cool ones at that- from far more than 50 miles away.
Personally I like to drive in the mountains, not just with a view of them. On flat roads like Eastern Washington, I'm constantly fighting the urge to doze off.

Old 02-28-2020, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Personally I like to drive in the mountains, not just with a view of them. On flat roads like Eastern Washington, I'm constantly fighting the urge to doze off.
I totally agree, live in WA now and lived on the Front Range of CO for a number of years. That part of I-90 in Eastern WA is pretty boring. That said, I still think it's better than Eastern CO and Western KS on I-70, which is one of those 600-900 miles of nothing stretches you mentioned. There's literally nothing to see until you get fairly close to Denver.

Old 02-28-2020, 07:14 PM

1,887 posts, read 1,444,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLoveFashion View Post
End thread.
Spoken like a true Coastal Elite .

Old 02-28-2020, 07:40 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,892,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLoveFashion View Post
End thread.
Ignorant. In your attempt at disdain, you prove ignorance. Well done. Maybe a bit of travel and reading would serve you well.

Last edited by Enean; 02-28-2020 at 07:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.