Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the most boring drive in the US?
Interstate 5 between Santa Clarita and Stockton, CA 38 15.14%
Interstate 8 between Casa Grande, AZ and Alpine, CA 5 1.99%
Interstate 10 between El Paso and San Antonio, TX 49 19.52%
Interstate 29 between Sioux Falls, SD and Fargo, ND 8 3.19%
Interstate 40 between Flagstaff, AZ and Barstow, CA 8 3.19%
Interstate 57 between Interstate 55 and Urbana, IL 49 19.52%
Interstate 70 between Topeka, KS and Aurora, CO 61 24.30%
Interstate 80 between Sparks, NV and Salt Lake City, UT 11 4.38%
Interstate 90 between Rapid City and Sioux Falls, SD 8 3.19%
Interstate 94 between Billings, MT and Fargo, ND 14 5.58%
Voters: 251. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2021, 07:44 AM

15,417 posts, read 9,065,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Yes, agreed. My point was simply California is a big enough State to expand I-5. It certainly is not Wyoming.
I don't think I-5 needs to be expanded. The real problem is that there are too few Interstates in the Western US. California should have at least three north-south Interstates, instead of just one. If there were three Interstates, much of the I-5 traffic would divert to the other two. Expanding I-5 would just attract even more traffic to it.

The last time I drive from LA to the Bay Area, traffic was moving just fine on I-5. The hell started when I got off I-5 into CA-152. Which at that time was a two lane road. It took me two and a half hours to travel 50 miles to Gilroy.

Last edited by Cloudy Dayz; 01-03-2021 at 07:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2021, 09:42 AM

23,527 posts, read 24,006,421 times
Yes, the freeway also gets heavily congested during holiday periods, as it’s a main thoroughfare between Southern California and Northern California. I drove once on the Sunday after Thanksgiving and it was a 12 hour crawl from Southern California back to Northern California. Never again!

Quote:
In addition, most of this segment is just two lanes in each direction, unusual for Southern California. So not only is it boring, but frustrating as it has high truck traffic, many of which are on metered speeds so when they move into the left lane it slows everyone.

Old 01-04-2021, 11:41 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,870,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I don't think I-5 needs to be expanded. The real problem is that there are too few Interstates in the Western US. California should have at least three north-south Interstates, instead of just one. If there were three Interstates, much of the I-5 traffic would divert to the other two. Expanding I-5 would just attract even more traffic to it.

The last time I drive from LA to the Bay Area, traffic was moving just fine on I-5. The hell started when I got off I-5 into CA-152. Which at that time was a two lane road. It took me two and a half hours to travel 50 miles to Gilroy.
Building a new n/s Interstate would be way more expensive than expanding I-5. I just don’t see it. Adding a third lane (basically a truck lane) from mp 225 to mp 440-something would be relatively cheap.

Old 01-05-2021, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Building a new n/s Interstate would be way more expensive than expanding I-5. I just don’t see it. Adding a third lane (basically a truck lane) from mp 225 to mp 440-something would be relatively cheap.
Yes, it would be cheaper, but that is not the point. The whole problem with the Interstate highway system is that it's not nearly extensive enough, especially in the West. When the Interstates were built, trucks that were spread out on hundreds of different highways were suddenly funneled onto just a few Interstate routes. Of course that is going to cause congestion. Including congestion on the access routes to the Interstate.

Adding lanes to freeways has been proven time and again not to be a solution. Just look at LA. You add a lane it fills up, you add another lane it fills up too. The solution is more Interstates, not more lanes.

Old 01-05-2021, 03:05 AM

60 posts, read 35,151 times
Quote:

I never take I-5 in the Central Valley of California. I'll always take a detour of either US 1, US 101, US 99, or US 395. US 101 adds at least two hours of travel time between LA and San Francisco and another two hours between San Francisco to Oregon, but at least I can see the Redwoods and the Pacific Coast.

US-99 allows me to at least see a few towns along the way and it is a nice drive in Nothern California. I can also detour and see the Sierra's, or even take a detour to Yosemite. There are also fabulous side roads along the Sierra mountains that go north and south.

US 395 only adds an hour or two at most through California to Oregon, and I can detour to Lake Tahoe and take advantage of some cheap and very nice 5 star hotels in Reno, especially on a weekday. There is also a quick stop at both Mono Lake and Burney Falls.

US-1 is amazing, but this takes a bit too much time generally.

Old 01-05-2021, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory77 View Post
I never take I-5 in the Central Valley of California. I'll always take a detour of either US 1, US 101, US 99, or US 395. US 101 adds at least two hours of travel time between LA and San Francisco and another two hours between San Francisco to Oregon, but at least I can see the Redwoods and the Pacific Coast.

US-99 allows me to at least see a few towns along the way and it is a nice drive in Nothern California. I can also detour and see the Sierra's, or even take a detour to Yosemite. There are also fabulous side roads along the Sierra mountains that go north and south.

US 395 only adds an hour or two at most through California to Oregon, and I can detour to Lake Tahoe and take advantage of some cheap and very nice 5 star hotels in Reno, especially on a weekday. There is also a quick stop at both Mono Lake and Burney Falls.

US-1 is amazing, but this takes a bit too much time generally.
Those are all good drives, but I think you mean US-101, not US-1. US-1 is on the East Coast.

Old 01-05-2021, 11:42 PM

180 posts, read 128,385 times
I will add these:

1. I-35 northbound from OKC to Kansas City, MO, especially the Kansas Turnpike. Absolutely horrific.

2. NY-17/I-87 (Southern Tier Expressway) from Corning/Steuben County to Orange County/Rockland County. Horrible drive. Also, better hope you don't have to use the restroom because there are none for about a 60 mi stretch between Broome County and Orange County.

3. I-88 from Iowa City to Chicago. Terrible scenery. Just flat land and corn fields for miles. Also, in certain areas the hog farms emit some pretty foul odors.

4. I-10 from Baton Rouge to Texas. May be the worse part of a bad drive from Atlanta to Houston.

Old 01-05-2021, 11:59 PM

16,077 posts, read 10,738,506 times
I think that if you are in a hurry, it is all boring. If you have the luxury of covering short distances a day you will notice stuff that is a little interesting. If you learn the history or geology along the way you will find something more interesting. The trip across Kansas is more interesting if you avoid the interstate. Interstates avoid old historic places and as much terrain as possible.

Old 01-07-2021, 05:49 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,870,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I think that if you are in a hurry, it is all boring. If you have the luxury of covering short distances a day you will notice stuff that is a little interesting. If you learn the history or geology along the way you will find something more interesting. The trip across Kansas is more interesting if you avoid the interstate. Interstates avoid old historic places and as much terrain as possible.
Good point, I am retired and enjoy the trip more than the speed. There is so much to see out there, too bad most don't appreciate it.

Old 01-07-2021, 07:38 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,594,858 times
Quote:
Those are all good drives, but I think you mean US-101, not US-1. US-1 is on the East Coast.
I actually think he meant CA 1 (aka the PCH)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.