Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the most boring drive in the US?
Interstate 5 between Santa Clarita and Stockton, CA 38 15.14%
Interstate 8 between Casa Grande, AZ and Alpine, CA 5 1.99%
Interstate 10 between El Paso and San Antonio, TX 49 19.52%
Interstate 29 between Sioux Falls, SD and Fargo, ND 8 3.19%
Interstate 40 between Flagstaff, AZ and Barstow, CA 8 3.19%
Interstate 57 between Interstate 55 and Urbana, IL 49 19.52%
Interstate 70 between Topeka, KS and Aurora, CO 61 24.30%
Interstate 80 between Sparks, NV and Salt Lake City, UT 11 4.38%
Interstate 90 between Rapid City and Sioux Falls, SD 8 3.19%
Interstate 94 between Billings, MT and Fargo, ND 14 5.58%
Voters: 251. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2021, 10:18 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,870,959 times
Yes, pch 1. It is real.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2021, 07:20 AM

1,370 posts, read 1,069,348 times
I-70 from Indianapolis to St. Louis is pretty godawful too. Farmland, farmland, farmland, “hey look at that giant cross!”, farmland, farmland, farmland, St. Louis.

Old 01-11-2021, 04:20 AM

60 posts, read 35,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Those are all good drives, but I think you mean US-101, not US-1. US-1 is on the East Coast.
Thanks for the catch Cloudy- and you're right Firebird and PNWGuy- yes, I meant CA 1 (or Pacific Coast Hwy), the drive that hugs the California Coast from the Redwoods to Dana Point CA. This designation is a bit confusing- oddly enough; according to Wikipedia, it's also part of the National Highway System. I suspect that PNWGuy2 is also correct and if you're talking about the US highway system I should have prefixed it as PCH (or 'Pacific coast national highway system').

Whatever the precise designation; this is an amazing drive and I would advise everyone that has time to take it if they can! It is the most amazing drive that I have been on so far!

"SR 1 is part of the California Freeway and Expressway System,[5] and through the Los Angeles metro area, Monterey, Santa Cruz, San Francisco metro area, and Leggett is part of the National Highway System"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_State_Route_1

Last edited by gregory77; 01-11-2021 at 05:05 AM..

Old 01-12-2021, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL2006 View Post
I-70 from Indianapolis to St. Louis is pretty godawful too. Farmland, farmland, farmland, “hey look at that giant cross!”, farmland, farmland, farmland, St. Louis.
I get where you're coming from! Some of the far-right-wing political signs and large religious crosses in the country are pretty eye-catching; and not necessarily in a good way. In Washington, there have been many attempts at removing a huge political sign along I-5 along farmland in southern Washington. The sign is changed constantly, and it has all kinds of outrageous racist slogans which I won't repeat here. Witnessing the culture while driving in the remote areas of our country can be interesting, but at least these huge signs and crosses break up the monotony of an otherwise relatively boring drive!

https://www.q13fox.com/news/petition...-it-taken-down
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncle_Sam_billboard

Last edited by gregory77; 01-12-2021 at 04:13 AM..

Old 01-12-2021, 11:45 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,974,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory77 View Post
I get where you're coming from! Some of the far-right-wing political signs and large religious crosses in the country are pretty eye-catching; and not necessarily in a good way. In Washington, there have been many attempts at removing a huge political sign along I-5 along farmland in southern Washington. The sign is changed constantly, and it has all kinds of outrageous racist slogans which I won't repeat here. Witnessing the culture while driving in the remote areas of our country can be interesting, but at least these huge signs and crosses break up the monotony of an otherwise relatively boring drive!

https://www.q13fox.com/news/petition...-it-taken-down
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncle_Sam_billboard
Does anyone have an actual quote of these racist and homophobic thing this billboard apparently said? Nothing online shows any of that. It's all just harmless "don't tax me" type stuff.

Old 01-12-2021, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Does anyone have an actual quote of these racist and homophobic thing this billboard apparently said? Nothing online shows any of that. It's all just harmless "don't tax me" type stuff.
This was one of the slogans on the sign a few years ago. It's not all that terrible, but it does kind of shock you when you drive by. Admins: don't ban me, please!

"No Mexican Olympic teams? All the runners and swimmers are here!"
http://www.chronline.com/editorial/f...c351d878e.html

Old 01-16-2021, 06:36 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,870,959 times
I have virtually grownup with those Chehalis signs. Lewis Co. is one of the more conservative counties in Western Washington. While I disagree with the messages he is on private property so I will defend the right to free speech as long as it is not threatening violence or other citizens, far different from our current crisis where those two elements appear to be in play.

Old 01-18-2021, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
I have virtually grownup with those Chehalis signs. Lewis Co. is one of the more conservative counties in Western Washington. While I disagree with the messages he is on private property so I will defend the right to free speech as long as it is not threatening violence or other citizens, far different from our current crisis where those two elements appear to be in play.
Agreed. While I most often disagree with the sentiments, I always watch out for that sign.

PNWGuy, I am curious; to bypass I-5 in southern Wa. have you taken the detour on the mountainous 100ish mile partial dirt road NFD 23 or NF25 between Randle and White Salmon before? The drive south goes to the east of Mount St. Helens (NFD-25) or to the west of Mt Adams (NF-23). Not that the drive along I-5 in Southern Wa is necessarily boring, but it would be cool to drive south from Renton (in the Puget Sound area for the other readers) to the Oregon border through the Cascade mountains on backroads and hook up to US-197 and US-97 south through the entire state of Oregon (which I have been through several times). I have a Ram 4x4 and these two mountainous dirt roads are on my radar.

NF-23 https://www.google.com/maps/place/NF...4d-121.7189178

NFD 25 https://www.google.com/maps/place/NF...4d-121.9763227

Last edited by gregory77; 01-18-2021 at 03:47 AM..

Old 01-18-2021, 03:19 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,521,896 times
I-35 Kansas City to Minneapolis. Wow that was dull, especially in the winter so not even any corn crop to look at.

Old 01-18-2021, 01:10 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,026,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL2006 View Post

Yup. I interviewed for a job with Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology, right in the middle of that drive. Excellent school with high standards, but...not only nothing interesting, but no sign of anything interesting for miles and miles away. I didn't get the offer so my dislike of the region was moot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.