Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the most boring drive in the US?
Interstate 5 between Santa Clarita and Stockton, CA 38 15.14%
Interstate 8 between Casa Grande, AZ and Alpine, CA 5 1.99%
Interstate 10 between El Paso and San Antonio, TX 49 19.52%
Interstate 29 between Sioux Falls, SD and Fargo, ND 8 3.19%
Interstate 40 between Flagstaff, AZ and Barstow, CA 8 3.19%
Interstate 57 between Interstate 55 and Urbana, IL 49 19.52%
Interstate 70 between Topeka, KS and Aurora, CO 61 24.30%
Interstate 80 between Sparks, NV and Salt Lake City, UT 11 4.38%
Interstate 90 between Rapid City and Sioux Falls, SD 8 3.19%
Interstate 94 between Billings, MT and Fargo, ND 14 5.58%
Voters: 251. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 07:46 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,234,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
US-1 between New Brunswick NJ and Trenton NJ is a HELL of a lot worse than I-70 through Utah or Colorado west of Denver.
That's like 20 miles, though. Why pick such a minor, short stretch?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 09:29 AM

1,485 posts, read 2,226,424 times
Having driven many times on I-90 (along with plenty of other interstates), the South Dakota portion is hardly the most boring stretch. Yeah, once you drive eastward and pass the Missouri River, it's two and a half hours of dullsville until you reach Sioux Falls, but the Minnesota stretch of I-90 is absolutely BRUTAL. Basically, the whole stretch from Sioux Falls on east to nearly the Mississippi River. The last few miles are very scenic (bluffs overlooking the river) but just aren't enough to make up for 200+ miles of absolute nothingness.

If you must travel eastward or westward in Minnesota, US 14 is at least a slightly more scenic alternative. It's a slower drive, but at the very least going through a small town every ten minutes should prevent you from completely falling asleep.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:04 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,528,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
Having driven many times on I-90 (along with plenty of other interstates), the South Dakota portion is hardly the most boring stretch. Yeah, once you drive eastward and pass the Missouri River, it's two and a half hours of dullsville until you reach Sioux Falls, but the Minnesota stretch of I-90 is absolutely BRUTAL. Basically, the whole stretch from Sioux Falls on east to nearly the Mississippi River. The last few miles are very scenic (bluffs overlooking the river) but just aren't enough to make up for 200+ miles of absolute nothingness.

If you must travel eastward or westward in Minnesota, US 14 is at least a slightly more scenic alternative. It's a slower drive, but at the very least going through a small town every ten minutes should prevent you from completely falling asleep.
I don't mind the drive from Sioux Falls to Rapid City. Sure, there's not a whole lot to look at but it's a nice open stretch of road. Plus, they just raised to speed limit to 80.

Old 04-07-2015, 02:55 PM

814 posts, read 1,142,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyePorcupine View Post
If I have a few hours of "wriggle room" I'll go off the beaten path. I did that in Upstate New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine this summer. That was a great experience. I stay off Interstates as much as possible in the Appalachians too.

However, to max out the time at certain destinations, especially if the Interstate goes through a dull area, there's nothing wrong with hoofing it down on to get to the good place more quickly!
Oh yeah, I definitely know that time can be of the essence more often than not.

But I've found that for the vast majority of people, it never even occurs to them to do anything other than zoom from Point A to Point B as fast as humanly possible. And then they complain about how boring their drive was.

Old 04-07-2015, 05:18 PM

9,429 posts, read 10,700,516 times
I-75 from Cincinnati Ohio all the way north to Saginaw Michigan. Horrible dull, flat and ugly and it includes some Rust belt classics like Toledo Ohio, Detroit Michigan and Flint Michigan. To top It off the State Of Ohio uses the interstate for revenue, there is usually Ohio state troopers posted every 10-20 miles pointing his radar at you just like Rosco P Coltrane. I hate that road.

Old 04-08-2015, 07:07 PM

14,169 posts, read 22,574,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that412 View Post
Oh yeah, I definitely know that time can be of the essence more often than not.

But I've found that for the vast majority of people, it never even occurs to them to do anything other than zoom from Point A to Point B as fast as humanly possible. And then they complain about how boring their drive was.
To me, there's nothing boring about driving fast. Yes, I enjoy taking scenic alternate routes, but I also enjoy rocketing down the Interstates too.

Old 04-09-2015, 05:56 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,874,797 times
Nothing tops driving through Kansas. Flat topography and windmills for miles.

Old 04-09-2015, 06:40 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,561,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
I found Kansas to be a heck of a lot more interesting to drive through than going through Georgia on I-75. That is freaking awful.

This is a fairly random image from street view of I-70 in Kansas. Call me crazy, but I find this type of scenery to be more interesting than pretty much the entire state of Georgia on I-75:

https://goo.gl/maps/9AiFH

Old 04-09-2015, 10:46 AM

814 posts, read 1,142,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
I found Kansas to be a heck of a lot more interesting to drive through than going through Georgia on I-75. That is freaking awful.

This is a fairly random image from street view of I-70 in Kansas. Call me crazy, but I find this type of scenery to be more interesting than pretty much the entire state of Georgia on I-75:

https://goo.gl/maps/9AiFH
I agree, there's something about the sheer openness and expanse of the plains that makes them interesting.

A lot of those southern Interstates are flat and just get hemmed in by trees which makes the drive incredibly monotonous. I-16 in Georgia is another good example of that.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:35 AM

2,233 posts, read 3,131,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
It is quite stunning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.