Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 08:06 AM

1,485 posts, read 2,251,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motownewave View Post
Have any of you noticed (not just in Texas but anywhere in the USA) that Hispanics who learned English at a young age (but perhaps had Spanish-speaking parents) talk with a slightly black-sounding accent? Why would this be? Is it because both blacks and Hispanics live in the inner cities? I also have noticed this type of accent among Asians but not as often. Perhaps the children of both Asian and Hispanic immigrants had the most "practice" with English at a young age with blacks at school, perhaps because their parents never quite mastered English? I apologize for offending anyone with this discussion.
I kinda get what you're saying, but it's not really "black". It may be that AAVE and Spanish may share a few phonemes that are not native to mainstream American English. Many Hispanics who grew up speaking both languages do have a slight Spanish-sounding accent (i.e. slightly-palatalized "L's") but unless they grew up in a predominantly black neighborhood or have at least one black parent it's almost certainly a coincidence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 08:08 AM

1,485 posts, read 2,251,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
To me the deep south is deep east Texas all the way to western Alabama.
Some Georgians and a lot of South Carolinians might have something to say about that.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:27 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
In Texas, I noticed many Hispanics with a Texas twang. Most of them were likely Tejanos.

Outside of some Puerto Ricans and Cubans; I do not recall ever hearing many Hispanics (of Central American origin) with "black-sounding" accents. I'm sure they do exist though.
Never heard it either, living here in northeast Texas for over twenty years.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:55 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Never heard it either, living here in northeast Texas for over twenty years.
You'll definitely hear it in Houston and Dallas. Some Asians as well.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:19 AM

2,085 posts, read 2,140,507 times
Ive heard it all the time in Houston...i actually hear it more often from young hispanics more than i hear actual spanish from them.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:48 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,491,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
To me the deep south is deep east Texas all the way to western Alabama.
More like Southeastern North Carolina to East Texas, but only IMO.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:58 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,491,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
I get the general idea of what you're saying.

Mississippi is the Deep South, through and through. Only a very tiny portion of the state (northeast corner basically) is arguably not the Deep South the terrain is slightly more rugged there.

Alabama is much more divided. Yes, Montgomery and Selma are very much the Deep South, but the further north you go in Alabama the more Upper South it gets. Birmingham is kind of its own animal (has elements of both) but Huntsville is very much the Upper South.

So really and truly, AL and MS aren't even that similar.
I'd agree with all of this, if we truly want to be more specific. You could also say the same for Georgia, because the Atlanta metro/North Georgia really isn't that Deep South-ish compared to other areas like Columbus, Augusta, Albany, Savannah, Tifton, Valdosta, Waycross, etc. Same story for South Carolina. You could call Greenville "Deep South" if you wanted to, but I don't think it's that Deep South-ish, either.

I truly think Montgomery and Jackson are probably the two greatest examples of Deep South cities, along with Charleston and Savannah even though those two are getting more transplant saturated.

Old 04-07-2015, 03:58 PM

5,790 posts, read 3,598,050 times
Actually, Louisiana has The Delta (not to be confused with the Delta of the Mississippi River below NOLA).

The Louisiana Delta is just the SW extension of Mississippi's Delta region. Right along the river, along US Highway 65 and Miss. River, north of Ferriday (Concordia Parish) three parishes are majority black (consistent with the Mississippi Delta). There is even a Delta Bank in Ferriday and Lake Providence, so the residents here are definitely aware they are part of The Delta, just as Mississippi residents are aware they live in a distinct area called The Delta.

Away from the river westward to the Ouachita River (Monroe) is majority white but with a hefty black minority, but still in many ways more like the area near the Miss River than the hilly areas west of the Ouachita. There is even a Louisiana Delta Community College in Monroe.

Old 04-07-2015, 04:59 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
Some Georgians and a lot of South Carolinians might have something to say about that.
Also, North Floridians. People can say what they want about Florida not being the South. But there isn't much of a difference between South Alabama, South Georgia, and North Florida.

Old 04-07-2015, 05:02 PM

5,002 posts, read 9,151,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Also, North Floridians. People can say what they want about Florida not being the South. But there isn't much of a difference between South Alabama, South Georgia, and North Florida.
That's true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.