Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are northerners culturally closer to Canadians or Southerners?
Canadians (excluding Quebec) 34 58.62%
Southerners 24 41.38%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 09:32 AM

728 posts, read 973,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
Maryland/DC is a North/South transition zone. Pittsburgh has an Appalachian feel. Indiana was largely settled by southerners. Missouri runs into the Ozarks region. African American communities in the Northern cities have roots in the South. Northerners have migrated in significant numbers to Virginia, North Carolina and Florida.

So I voted for the South.
Nova Scotia, Quebec and Ontario all had AAs come up during the bad times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 11:37 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
Does the Northern US have more in common with (non-Quebec) Canada or the Southern US?

I have heard if said that northerners in the US are closer to English-speaking Canadians than they are to southerners in terms of culture and political beliefs. Places like Seattle, Minneapolis, Boston, etc are more similar to Canadian cities than they are to southern cities like Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, etc?

Without the states of the former confederacy, it is hard to imagine the current republican party winning the WH since maybe Bush in '88. The republicans would be more business oriented and less focused on social issues. Without having to worry about the south, the democrats would be more liberal on economic and social issues.

Without a doubt. Remove the South, and the rest of the US would be a very unhospitable place for Christian conservatives. Business minded fiscally conservative Republicans would still win. The US would be far more like Western Europe and Canada without the South. FDR tried to get universal health care, and it was the conservative coalition that stopped him despite having large congressional majorities. The Conservative Coalition was made up of conservative Republicans and southern Democrats. The southern Democrats were hard core Christian conservatives then, and still are today but are now Republican.

And speaking as someone that has visited both the South and Canada a number of times, yes I feel more kinship with Canadians and their religious and political beliefs than with Southerners. I also felt more kinship with the people of England vs the South.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:41 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
The South. They're both in the same nation.
Barely if you can call it a nation.

A nation made up of 50 squabbling republics that differ greatly on how the Constitution should be interpreted.

Last edited by tom77falcons; 04-08-2015 at 12:15 PM..

Old 04-08-2015, 11:42 AM

2,253 posts, read 3,718,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNative2891 View Post
Nova Scotia, Quebec and Ontario all had AAs come up during the bad times.
Only in Nova Scotia though is the majority of the Black population of AA descent, and they're many more generations removed from the South than those in northern US cities. In Ontario the descendants of AAs who came up the Underground Railroad centered around Windsor/Chatham are greatly outnumbered by those of West Indian origin.

Though of course there is a long history of migration across the border. At the time of Confederation in 1867, the Maritimes had stronger ties with New England than with central Canada. The Maritimes and New England have long ties: New England "planters" and Loyalists moved to the Maritimes in the 18th century, and in the late 19th century and early 20th century a lot of Maritimers moved to New England. A lot of Quebecois moved to New England during this time as well.

Ontario had an influx of Loyalists from New York and Pennsylvania and American immigrants before the war of 1812. In turn, a lot of Ontarians ended up moving to Michigan around the turn of the last century.
Alberta and Saskatchewan received a lot of American settlers looking for land after the US frontier closed. Seattle also had a significant number of Canadians.

But still, more Americans live in border states or in areas of the South with lots of transplants than in "Canadian-influenced" regions. Besides New England, parts of Upstate New York, Michigan and Washington State, there aren't that many people with Canadian roots. These are the same regions where people receive Canadian media.

I don't think it's that prevalent in Minnesota. The northern third of the state is quite thinly populated. However there are some aspects that are similar to neighboring northern Ontario in terms of economy, love of hockey and ethnicity (Finns).

Old 04-08-2015, 12:48 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,819,383 times
Canadians put vinegar on their fries instead of ketchup. No matter how far North you go in the U.S no one uses vinegar. Just one example of a cultural difference.

Old 04-08-2015, 12:50 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Canadians put vinegar on their fries instead of ketchup. No matter how far North you go in the U.S no one uses vinegar. Just one example of a cultural difference.
Uh, no. Vinegar on fries is boss. I've been doing that since I was at least 7 years old and I didn't grow up anywhere near the Canadian border.

Old 04-08-2015, 12:51 PM

728 posts, read 973,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Uh, no. Vinegar on fries is boss. I've been doing that since I was at least 7 years old and I didn't grow up anywhere near the Canadian border.
Is that a NY thing? Mayo on fries isn't bad either.

Old 04-08-2015, 12:54 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNative2891 View Post
Is that a NY thing? Mayo on fries isn't bad either.
No. I think I tried it for the first time in a shopping mall. I've been hooked ever since. But they have to be the thick, grilled fries, not the wimpy fries you get from McDonald's.

Old 04-08-2015, 12:56 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,819,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I have never been a ketchup person (even if I like tomatoes). I have a feeling I would like vinegar on fries if I tried it.

Old 04-08-2015, 01:23 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,718,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
No, in addition to. Ketchup on fries is more common than vinegar overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.