Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 12:38 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,962,707 times

Advertisements

It seems like in most other countries, there's always something going on, while in the US people are either at work, in their car, or in their homes. American cultural life is far more centered around job and immediate kin than most countries, which I think is the reason why, along with the car culture. Most cities have very lackluster nightlife too, it's rare for a city to have a closing time any later than 3 AM.

American cities feel like a cultural desert with the exception of New York and maybe 3 or 4 other cities to a lesser degree. Even downtowns in the US can feel downright country, everyone leaves after 5 PM and goes home to their picket fence exurb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 12:40 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,323,842 times
Depends on the city.
Come visit Louisiana if you think all american life is boring!

Old 04-09-2015, 12:45 PM

130 posts, read 163,838 times
In other countries' big cities there is always something going on, like Paris/London/Tokyo/Berlin. Just like how in NYC/LA always have something going on. Rural Dorset, Provence, Bavaria etc are just as sleepy as rural Idaho..however the USA has more rural areas because it is larger.

I have read all of your threads, you seem to hate America, have no sense of direction, and expect things to be given to you...again you need to grow up.

Maybe if you find legal drugs and hookers more exciting than Europe is better but besides that it isn't that different.

Stop complaining, get your stuff together, grow up and do something with your life. Even if America had all these things that you imagine Europe has, you couldn't afford to do it...maybe you can live in a tent!

Childish

Old 04-09-2015, 12:47 PM

813 posts, read 600,452 times
I've travelled all over South America, some in Europe, Africa a bit, and lived in many different states. I never met a boring location, but I met a few boring people...

Oh yeah, not to exclude Canada, I've been to Halifax, had a great time.

Old 04-09-2015, 03:34 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,522,410 times
To me, yeah.

I mean there are a few pockets of originality here and there, but for a nation as big as the US, there sure is a lot of homogeneity and lack of identity for such a huge space. Our culture is mostly based on economics, not socialization ... and I think that's why we think we can be boring. We're a chain shop / disposable society that places priority on economics.

Old 04-09-2015, 03:37 PM

45,333 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Yeah, European countries have no homogeneity at all. They all have so many different subcultures that are apparent when you turn the corner of any street.

Sarcasm intended.

Old 04-09-2015, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Yeah, European countries have no homogeneity at all. They all have so many different subcultures that are apparent when you turn the corner of any street.
Sarcasm intended.
What I'm more talking about is things like street life, festivals, walkability, and so on. America has very little of that. Even though the US is a well populated and highly developed country people still live like cowboys.

Old 04-09-2015, 03:44 PM

45,333 posts, read 60,500,026 times
You damned hipsters and your "festivals".

If you aren't seeing festivals you aren't looking. For reference those things are a pain in the ass to put together.

Old 04-09-2015, 03:44 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
What I'm more talking about is things like street life, festivals, walkability, and so on. America has very little of that. Even though the US is a well populated and highly developed country people still live like cowboys.
You see this in America. There is not "very little" of it where I live.

Who lives like cowboys?

There are rural, more backwards, slow, insular areas of all countries.

Old 04-09-2015, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
You see this in America. There is not "very little" of it where I live.

Who lives like cowboys?

There are rural, more backwards, slow, insular areas of all countries.
The thing is even American cities are more or less rural in character for the most part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.