Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2015, 09:48 PM

195 posts, read 333,904 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am about to become a full-time day trader. I have been preparing for the past 5 years. And now it is time. Currently I live in Idaho. I want to move to a state that has no personal income tax. But also a state where the overall tax burden is low (e.g., property taxes). I am currently a renter, and will eventually look to buy a house in the years ahead. The 3 states that I found that fit my criteria are Wyoming, Nevada, and Tennessee. I would prefer TN over the other two, but it is too far away. I have 3 cats and 2 dogs, and we are not traveling across country. I am just now beginning the process of choosing a new city to move to. I expect to be leaving in June when my apartment lease is up. Any thoughts you might have about choosing NV or WY is much appreciated. Also any suggestions about what town or city. I am a single guy in my 50s, I don't desire a social scene. It is just me and my pets. I am a home body all the way. All I need to keep me happy is restaurants and a Walmart. I really don't know what I am going to find in my search. Your thoughts are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 08:02 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,886,165 times
I love Wyoming, but it is thousands upon thousands of square miles of nothing. If I had to choose WY, it would be the Jackson area. And even there your looking at snow 8 months out of the year.

At least Nevada, which is somewhat the same as WY in the middle, has a major city in Vegas and a mid-sized city in Reno, both with international airports should you want to travel occasionally.

My personal choice would be NV. Good luck to you!

Old 04-14-2015, 09:45 AM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
OP, do you prefer deserts with your mountains, or prairies? Do you prefer big cities, small cities, suburbs, small towns, or rural areas? Do you prefer cold or heat? If you know your preferences in these areas, it would help you choose.

And I mean no offense, but I don't understand your reasoning regarding preferring Tennessee, but not wanting to choose it based on the move. A move is a one-time thing and you're done, but where you live is your life, 24/7, for however many years you choose to stay there. Since you're choosing to move out of state anyway, why not add a day or two to the process, and end up in your first-choice state?

Old 04-14-2015, 11:45 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,886,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post
I love Wyoming, but it is thousands upon thousands of square miles of nothing. If I had to choose WY, it would be the Jackson area. And even there you're looking at snow 8 months out of the year.

At least Nevada, which is somewhat the same as WY in the middle, has a major city in Vegas and a mid-sized city in Reno, both with international airports should you want to travel occasionally.

My personal choice would be NV. Good luck to you!
Hate when I do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.