Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 12:57 PM

93,261 posts, read 123,898,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
Hmm I don't really agree.

Alaska - Fairbanks
Arkansas - NWA (Fayetteville-Springdale-Rogers)
Mississippi - Gulfport
New Mexico - Santa Fe
South Dakota - Rapid City
North Dakota - Bismarck for western ND and Grand Forks for eastern ND.
In Mississippi, I'd also say Biloxi is worth a mention and that gulf coast has a bunch cities that run together(Moss Point, Pascagoula, Bay St Louis, etc). Perhaps Hattiesburg, Meridian and the collection of Memphis suburbs in the NW corner of the state.

For New Mexico, Las Cruces comes to mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 01:10 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,399,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Newark had over 400k at one point. None of them will be major metros on their own, but they have much potential if their suburban residents stop hating on them and give them a chance to redevelop/gentrify.
Older cities have lost population to the "white flight" in the 60's and 70's but also to the changing nature of households. Boston has significantly more housing units than it did 50 years ago, but most people don't have 10 kids jammed into a 2 or 3 bedroom apartment.

Old 04-16-2015, 04:23 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
But there's no one city in the DC suburbs that's a clear second in the state. That region functions as a collection of suburbs without a strong central city on the Maryland side, which is how it works at times in the case of the suburbs of one city being located in another state; it's a similar situation in NoVA as well.
Yeah I understand that. But the fact that he had to list a heavily populated area that is just as large as the entire Baltimore metro without even being in Baltimore metro kind of makes Maryland different than say, Georgia which is dominated by only the Atlanta area. I mean the 1st and 2nd most populous county in Maryland isn't even in Baltimore metro.

Old 04-16-2015, 04:57 PM

271 posts, read 458,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Indiana still has Evansville, Fort Wayne, and the NWI part of Chicagoland. These are by no means small towns.
Right they're not small towns by any means, but clearly can't be compared with Indy at all.

Old 04-16-2015, 05:27 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yeah I understand that. But the fact that he had to list a heavily populated area that is just as large as the entire Baltimore metro without even being in Baltimore metro kind of makes Maryland different than say, Georgia which is dominated by only the Atlanta area. I mean the 1st and 2nd most populous county in Maryland isn't even in Baltimore metro.
I do understand the dynamic is different than say in Georgia, but the DC 'burbs aren't focused on any one city in MD which *technically* makes it a "single-city state."

Old 04-17-2015, 01:56 PM

93,261 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy771 View Post
Right they're not small towns by any means, but clearly can't be compared with Indy at all.
I don't think they have to. They all seem to be big enough to offer quite a bit within their own area though.

Old 04-17-2015, 06:30 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I do understand the dynamic is different than say in Georgia, but the DC 'burbs aren't focused on any one city in MD which *technically* makes it a "single-city state."
But the DC suburbs are connected to DC more than it is to Baltimore. It looks to DC for just about everything big city. That's why I wouldn't put it in the same mold as say Utah, Georgia, Illinois, Minnesota, etc. In these states, you don't have to exclude large populated areas in different parts of the state like you have to for Maryland.

Old 04-17-2015, 06:41 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,964,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncey View Post
You left out..

Washington - Seattle

While there's no doubt Atlanta dominates Georgia, I believe Savannah is the clear second city. It's one of the most historically revered cities in America as well as having a major port and decent economic base.
Yeah, Washington has Tacoma and Spokane, but the former is pretty much a Seattle suburb, and the latter is way smaller even if it's decently sized itself.

Old 04-18-2015, 12:51 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
But the DC suburbs are connected to DC more than it is to Baltimore. It looks to DC for just about everything big city. That's why I wouldn't put it in the same mold as say Utah, Georgia, Illinois, Minnesota, etc. In these states, you don't have to exclude large populated areas in different parts of the state like you have to for Maryland.
Right but DC isn't actually in Maryland. I know it's all technical but changes nothing on the ground though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.