Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 09:19 PM

24 posts, read 65,092 times

Advertisements

I know this varies person to person, but I am really interested to hear what everyone has to say.

Personally, I have had chronic sinus infections since childhood; up to 8-10 per year before sinus surgery for deviated septum, and about 3-6 per year post surgery. I find that I am extremely agitated by huge climate swings, extreme cold, extreme heat, low and high humidity, etc. In general Ohio is not a great place for me, and I've been told to move by various doctors since I was a teen.

My husband has terrible allergies, of which I have none. I know that allergies are a relative thing and can change and develop at any time in life. I've still seen some consistency in data reporting worst areas for those who experience them.

So, now I want to hear from you! What areas of the US did you experience reprieve or suffering from either or both of the above? Our health issues are one of our primary motivations for eventually relocating. I have quite the series of lists and charts, but I can always use more data! Besides, we can't be the only ones with crappy upper respiratory systems.

Please, no advice on how to treat either thing- we are both well versed in all of that, from nasal sprays to vitamins to Neilmed bottles. Let's keep the board focused on the cities and personal experiences!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 06:45 AM

27,205 posts, read 43,896,295 times
I would recommend coastal areas in Florida, more to the south in either the area from Stuart south to Delray Beach (air quality can be an issue in the Miami-Ft Lauderdale area), the Florida Keys or Sarasota south to Naples where the hardwood trees thin out in favor of more tropical plants/trees. When I say coastal I mean within a mile (preferably half mile or better) of the beach where the breeze off the water is prevalent and the further south the better in that department as well. Climate swings that you describe very rarely occur, maybe three-four times a year when a cold front moves through but it's not the gargantuan temperature drops one sees elsewhere in the country including the allegedly better desert areas of the Southwest US. I grew up in Southeast FL (Hollywood) and never had environmental allergies until living in the Northeast US. I currently live in the Orlando area (Central FL) and my seasonal allergies are as bad or worse than the Northeast US due to the lack of freezing weather that restricts pollen production as well as a tremendous number of Oak trees which are the worst for pollen sufferers, due to their especially small particulates that inhale so easily. The thick yellowish pollen produced by Pines for example is actually not as bothersome due to it's size.

Old 04-15-2015, 06:49 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelaster View Post
I know this varies person to person, but I am really interested to hear what everyone has to say.

Personally, I have had chronic sinus infections since childhood; up to 8-10 per year before sinus surgery for deviated septum, and about 3-6 per year post surgery. I find that I am extremely agitated by huge climate swings, extreme cold, extreme heat, low and high humidity, etc. In general Ohio is not a great place for me, and I've been told to move by various doctors since I was a teen.

My husband has terrible allergies, of which I have none. I know that allergies are a relative thing and can change and develop at any time in life. I've still seen some consistency in data reporting worst areas for those who experience them.

So, now I want to hear from you! What areas of the US did you experience reprieve or suffering from either or both of the above? Our health issues are one of our primary motivations for eventually relocating. I have quite the series of lists and charts, but I can always use more data! Besides, we can't be the only ones with crappy upper respiratory systems.

Please, no advice on how to treat either thing- we are both well versed in all of that, from nasal sprays to vitamins to Neilmed bottles. Let's keep the board focused on the cities and personal experiences!

Even if/when you move to a different area if you are near a farming community you will have the same issues come planting and harvest season when they dig the dirt.
Mr. CSD has had the same allergies since birth and he gets much worse during these seasons.

Old 04-15-2015, 01:18 PM

128 posts, read 242,296 times
It seems plant pollen allergies are everywhere, but if you can avoid pollution and mold it is probably going to be easier. It seems mold and pollution are bad in cities with ozone, high humidity, and a lot of rain. It does seem the coastal areas can be a little better than landlocked cities.

Old 04-15-2015, 01:57 PM

231 posts, read 402,024 times
I feel like you will have less pollen problems in desert cities like Phoenix or Vegas, but for me (I have allergies too) I would rather have allergies than the feeling of choking on dust and dryness. Nowhere is perfect. There is no moist climate (best for breathing comfort hence why people use humidifiers) that doesn't have lots of vegetation.

Maybe coastal California?

Old 04-15-2015, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNC View Post
It seems plant pollen allergies are everywhere, but if you can avoid pollution and mold it is probably going to be easier. It seems mold and pollution are bad in cities with ozone, high humidity, and a lot of rain. It does seem the coastal areas can be a little better than landlocked cities.
Actually mold and plant pollen allergies are two different afflictions that don't overlap for everyone. I have seasonal pollen allergies for example but am not affected by mold spores. In addition air pollution is closely linked to asthma, which differs completely from seasonal allergies. One can have asthma with seasonal allergies, but pollen typically doesn't trigger asthma alone. High humidity is actually good for asthmatics, as dry air stimulates production of mucus and works to restrict air flow in the lungs, which is a reason why athletes often struggle in high altitude venues.

Old 06-08-2015, 09:07 PM

1 posts, read 22,302 times
My husband is a chronic sinusitis sufferer. We are originally from Minnesota and thought that to get out of the humidity would help. So we moved to New Mexico. Since living here he has had deviated septum surgery and balloon sinuplasty surgery but his sinus problems continue. When his ENT was asked about the best place to live for sinus sufferers he replied "there's always Florida". We took that with a grain of salt, as my husband also has severe arthritis in his back so wonder how he would do in the Florida dampness. Any thoughts?

Old 06-09-2015, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottiemae View Post
My husband is a chronic sinusitis sufferer. We are originally from Minnesota and thought that to get out of the humidity would help. So we moved to New Mexico. Since living here he has had deviated septum surgery and balloon sinuplasty surgery but his sinus problems continue. When his ENT was asked about the best place to live for sinus sufferers he replied "there's always Florida". We took that with a grain of salt, as my husband also has severe arthritis in his back so wonder how he would do in the Florida dampness. Any thoughts?
Florida's "dampness" is warmer moist heat pretty much year-round versus the cool/damp weather which in other climates aggravates arthritis. The southern third of the state very rarely gets frost and would recommend coastal areas like Delray Beach or Boynton Beach on the east coast or Naples and Bonita Springs on the west coast. Areas within a mile of the coast would place you in areas with a predominate seabreeze which alleviates sinusitis issues aggravated by hardwood tree pollen.

Old 11-23-2015, 09:13 PM

1 posts, read 20,827 times
I am in San Diego, or more precise in San Marcos which is about 8 miles off the coast. For what it's worth, I can see the ocean from where I am. We have now been here for almost 8 years. During fall and winter I develop severe sinusitis, normally requiring at least 2 courses of antibiotics and lately a course of Prednisone. This used to clear up my sinuses around March and I used to have a clear run into November. But this has changed. For at least the past year I have had chronic sinusitis. Digging through Google I have seen an article on San Diego's "Year round allergy season" aggrevated by our notorious Santa Ana winds which blows from across the desert to the ocean. Something to do with mold. However, trying to correlate the severeness of my sinus discomfort with Santa Ana conditions brought me nowhere. I just do not see a pattern. Neither do I see a pattern with pollen conditions. I have now started tracking humidity, hoping it could be as simple as that. Even being within sight of the ocean, humidity was a dismal 17% today. This was a long winded way of saying San Diego should probably not be on your list. I'm following this thread with interest, hoping to find better conditions.

Old 11-24-2015, 08:47 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,758,510 times
Even the desert may not help. Sagebrushes are closely related to ragweed. If you suffer from pollen, areas with this plant growing may not help.

The only place that will really help is to live right at the ocean beach, at close to salt water as you can. Not miles away but within a few hundred feet. The sea breezes move the pollen and allergens away.

Good luck- this is a really tough relocation problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.