Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 06:29 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,054,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
It all depends on where in the Midwest. In southern Indiana or Illinois spring is much nicer and comes earlier. However if your sitting in Grand Rapids Michigan or Duluth Minnesota then you may be shoveling snow as late as early May. Yes I said May. Many people just don't realize how harsh winter can be in the upper Midwest. There are places up there that wont see leaves on their trees until mid May, and last year those pictures of ice on Lake Superior for Memorial day weekend are worth a thousand words concerning their climate. That does not mean there is never nice weather in April, but cool damp or even cold weather is still common in the Spring up there. By far its the toughest climate in the lower 48.
I would say it's an exaggeration to say you'd be shoveling snow in these places in early May. It's a once in ten year occurrence to see snow in Grand Rapids in May, and even then you're not talking a measurable amount. I get you're talking in hyperbole to make a point, however for the purposes of this discussion I would use average conditions. The conditions of the last two winters were by far extreme. Ice on Lake Superior is telling but only in the context of the coldest winter on record. Yes spring can have a hint of winter at times, but it can also have a hint of summer. On average temperatures in Michigan are in the high 20s low 30s during winter months when the Jet stream follows historical patterns. Things usually start moderating in March, and by May temps in the 60's are cold.

However your point is taken, I'm not sure how anyone could argue Northwestern winters are longer than the upper Midwest. The only difference is the mountain west can be more volatile and prone to extremes in March/April.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 10:14 AM

2,432 posts, read 2,689,105 times
Here in ohio were still in the 50s to 60s all this week! We had a day or two that reached 70 but dropped back down. Trees are still mostly bare but starting to sprout leaves. I cannot wait to move south!

Old 04-20-2015, 04:17 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,120,375 times
Trees here have been green for 2-3 weeks since they started booming in February.

Old 04-21-2015, 04:06 AM

9,468 posts, read 10,794,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
I would say it's an exaggeration to say you'd be shoveling snow in these places in early May. It's a once in ten year occurrence to see snow in Grand Rapids in May, and even then you're not talking a measurable amount. I get you're talking in hyperbole to make a point, however for the purposes of this discussion I would use average conditions. The conditions of the last two winters were by far extreme. Ice on Lake Superior is telling but only in the context of the coldest winter on record. Yes spring can have a hint of winter at times, but it can also have a hint of summer. On average temperatures in Michigan are in the high 20s low 30s during winter months when the Jet stream follows historical patterns. Things usually start moderating in March, and by May temps in the 60's are cold.

However your point is taken, I'm not sure how anyone could argue Northwestern winters are longer than the upper Midwest. The only difference is the mountain west can be more volatile and prone to extremes in March/April.

I have lived in Michigan before, both in its upper an lower peninsulas. In the Upper peninsula I did literally shovel snow in May, many many times. However my experience with lower Michigan was a bit milder, but not by much. Yes snow in May is more rare in lower Mi, but on several occasions I did shovel it in may. Once I saw 4 inches the first week of May in lower Mi. I would say once every four to five years you will see some kind of frozen precipitation in May in lower Michigan. In Upper Mi it is much more common, maybe every other year. Once you get beyond mid to late May however the weather is beautiful up there until September. June, July, August and September are the rewards that are granted to upper Midwesterners for dealing with the rest of the months of the year. Probably the nicest summers in the US, mild and quite sunny.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:41 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,224,536 times
By May, much of The southern portion of the Lower Peninsula is in full spring mode where most of the tree canopy is leafing out. Very very unusual to get any snow at that point. Maybe the northern half of the LP is prone to some snow in early May, but not so much in the south. Snow here in Windsor is a very rare event in May, same for the Detroit area.

Old 04-21-2015, 02:24 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,959,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
By May, much of The southern portion of the Lower Peninsula is in full spring mode where most of the tree canopy is leafing out. Very very unusual to get any snow at that point. Maybe the northern half of the LP is prone to some snow in early May, but not so much in the south. Snow here in Windsor is a very rare event in May, same for the Detroit area.
This.

Old 04-23-2015, 01:06 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,120,375 times
It snowed in Detroit today.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:13 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,150,457 times
Snow in May is a real possibility in the upper midwest. Places like Detroit are just on the edge of escaping such horrendous weather events. But as you can see, it still snows in late April there.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:25 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,224,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
It snowed in Detroit today.
A couple flurries, nothing to shovel.

Old 04-23-2015, 11:04 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,595,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Snow in May is a real possibility in the upper midwest. Places like Detroit are just on the edge of escaping such horrendous weather events. But as you can see, it still snows in late April there.
The only thing horrendous about it is that it'll probably be cloudy that day. Snowfall in May would melt before it even comes in contact with anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.