Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2015, 03:55 AM

15 posts, read 58,485 times

Advertisements

I'm from the center of Spain and during the summer is very dry, we finally have the sun and we know that the rain isn't going to ruin it after months of winter. The thing is, I live now in Miami and I'm planning to move and I'm looking to places on the south east area (Carolinas, Tennesse) that have a similiar winter, but you have your 4 stations and I like that. But still is a humid climate and the summer it gets rainny.

So I want to know if there is any part of the US that you have your cold winter, your spring and autumm but when summer comes you can relay and your at least 3 months with 3 days of rain tops and very hot and sunny.

And of course with things to do, be able to skiing during the winter and have fun on a nice lake during the summer.

Is that too much to ask? There is something like that in this country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 05:36 AM

27,197 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbo22 View Post
I'm from the center of Spain and during the summer is very dry, we finally have the sun and we know that the rain isn't going to ruin it after months of winter. The thing is, I live now in Miami and I'm planning to move and I'm looking to places on the south east area (Carolinas, Tennesse) that have a similiar winter, but you have your 4 stations and I like that. But still is a humid climate and the summer it gets rainny.

So I want to know if there is any part of the US that you have your cold winter, your spring and autumm but when summer comes you can relay and your at least 3 months with 3 days of rain tops and very hot and sunny.

And of course with things to do, be able to skiing during the winter and have fun on a nice lake during the summer.

Is that too much to ask? There is something like that in this country?
"The Mediterranean climate is characterized by warm to hot, dry summers and mild to cool, wet winters. Mediterranean climate zones are associated with the five large subtropical high pressure cells of the oceans: the Azores High, South Atlantic High, North Pacific High, South Pacific High, and Indian Ocean High. These climatological high pressure cells shift towards the poles in the summer and towards the equator in the winter, playing a major role in the formation of the world's subtropical and tropical deserts as well as the Mediterranean Basin's climate."

"The Gulf and South Atlantic states have a subtropical climate with mostly mild winters and hot, humid summers. The entire Florida peninsula, and coastal cities like Houston, New Orleans, Savannah and Charleston, have average July and August highs from 90 °F (32 °C) to the lower 90 °F (32 °C)s, and lows generally from 70 to 75 °F (21 to 24 °C); combined with moist tropical air, this creates sultry summer weather conditions. In the interior South (including Raleigh and Charlotte, NC, Atlanta, Augusta, Macon and Columbus, GA, Huntsville and Birmingham, AL, Chattanooga, Nashville and Memphis, TN, Jackson, MS, Baton Rouge and Shreveport, LA, Little Rock, AR and Louisville, KY), humidity remains high, and July and August average high temperatures range from the upper 80 °F (27 °C)s to lower 90 °F (32 °C)s, and average low temperatures range from the upper 60 °F (16 °C)s to lower 70 °F (21 °C)s. In much of Texas, summers are hotter still, with July and August average high temperatures in the mid to upper 90 °F (32 °C)s (Dallas, Austin and San Antonio areas), even near 100 °F (38 °C) near Laredo in the far south, away from the coast. The direction of prevailing winds changes from southerly (tropical) in summer to variable, sometimes northerly (continental) from late fall to early spring (November to March), with wind shifts common, due to the frequent alternation of warm, moist air from the Gulf of Mexico with cold, dry air from Canada. Weather systems and fronts not uncommonly bring precipitation through the winter season, but these alternate with periods of high pressure and sunshine. In winter, average daily high temperatures range from the 40 °F (4 °C)s (upper South: northern Arkansas, Kentucky and Virginia), to the 60 °F (16 °C)s along the Gulf Coast and South Atlantic coast (Charleston southward), with 70 °F (21 °C)s in central and southern Florida and far southern Texas. Average daily lows in winter range from 20 °F (−7 °C)s north to 40 °F (4 °C)s along the Gulf and far South Atlantic coasts, with 50 °F (10 °C)s in Florida and coastal south Texas."

Yes, it would considering we're talking to two distinctly different climates.

Old 04-19-2015, 05:58 AM

15 posts, read 58,485 times
By the way by stations I meant season. I was thinking in Spanish and made that mistake.

Old 04-19-2015, 07:21 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,287,954 times
For a true Mediterranean climate similar to that in the bulk of Spain, you're looking at central-northern coastal California. There is no other place in the U.S. that is similar.

If your main goal is to avoid humidity, and you don't mind a lack of green/vegetation and some distance to recreational water, you could consider the more arid areas of the west (Northern Arizona and New Mexico, Southern Colorado and Utah). Further north and you'll have a snowier, colder winter than I think you're wanting.

Old 04-19-2015, 10:16 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
I was thinking Denver, or the like.

Old 04-20-2015, 05:41 AM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times
Southern California has that type of summer. Although the winter isn't very cold one is only a short drive a way from the mountains where it is cold enough to ski in the winter months.

Old 04-20-2015, 07:58 AM

361 posts, read 837,286 times
You have to move to California, what's the problem with Miami ? I find the weather great here.

Old 04-20-2015, 03:11 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,506,112 times
If you want four seasons, with colder winters and drier summers, try the mountainous areas of the Southwest (AZ, NM). In the norther mountains in those states, you get all four seasons, although milder than in many other states. Colder, and some snow in the winter (but still sunny), dry and warm in the summer (although not super hot, so maybe not hot enough for you?).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.