Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 01:31 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times

Advertisements

I enjoyed visiting Texas and experiencing its uniqueness, but wouldn't want to live there. Austin area maybe, but that's about it. The rest of the state is full of conservatives.

Everyone I know that moved there from Connecticut did it for career or education purposes. Not because of genuine desire to move there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 01:33 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,470,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongNote View Post
This argument has been made ad nauseum... Texas is growing because of it's job market and low COL... Not because people have some sort of love affair with Texas in and of itself... Texas generally has a negative reputation amongst most people who weren't born and raised there.
I disagree I don't think it does. Everyone has their own opinion on the matter and its subjective but most people like Texas that I have met.

Old 04-24-2015, 01:34 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,470,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I enjoyed visiting Texas and experiencing its uniqueness, but wouldn't want to live there. Austin area maybe, but that's about it. The rest of the state is full of conservatives.

Everyone I know that moved there from Connecticut did it for career or education purposes. Not because of genuine desire to move there.
Crazy thing is Austin is more liberal at least socially than many East Coast Cities at least IMO.

Old 04-24-2015, 03:21 PM

479 posts, read 1,236,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
I lived in Pittsburgh PA for work and can tell you those where the worst two years of my life. The lesson I learned is to never move somewhere solely for a job and do thorough research before moving. Making good money means nothing if your not happy with your living situation. Best of luck you if decide to move to Houston.
What specifically didn't you like about Pittsburgh? I was born and raised there and lived there until age 25. I wasn't all that crazy about the area then, but I have gone back for visits and find it to be much improved.

Old 04-24-2015, 03:59 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,903,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgirl49 View Post
What specifically didn't you like about Pittsburgh? I was born and raised there and lived there until age 25. I wasn't all that crazy about the area then, but I have gone back for visits and find it to be much improved.
The locals were very unfriendly to outsiders. I didn't enjoy all the gloomy days.

Old 04-24-2015, 04:13 PM

93,338 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Crazy thing is Austin is more liberal at least socially than many East Coast Cities at least IMO.
Which East Coast cities aren't as socially liberal as Austin, in your opinion?

Old 04-24-2015, 04:25 PM

779 posts, read 927,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
I disagree I don't think it does. Everyone has their own opinion on the matter and its subjective but most people like Texas that I have met.
It's not a matter of agreeing or disagreeing. Most Texas cities generally have a very negative reputation around the U.S. Here, I'll provide some data for you.

POLL: How Americans Feel About The States - Business Insider

Most Americans Hate Texas and Want Texas Kicked Out of America – According to a Recent Poll

Atlanta vs. Houston | Atlanta | Yelp

And here are some CD threads.... Do Texas cities ever fair well when being compared to other major cities?

//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...s-angeles.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...nt-nation.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...-portland.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...ty-do-you.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...ser-first.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...dallas-tx.html

Holy Crap!! Dallas won one!

//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...fessional.html

^^ I actually agree. I would choose DFW over Phoenix, but that's not saying much....

Old 04-24-2015, 04:30 PM

183 posts, read 220,574 times
For me having to move out of Philadelphia to the suburbs for a job was the equivalent of torture. If you want to experience depression, see the suburbs after visiting Philly.

Old 04-24-2015, 04:55 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
You and I probably belong to completely different demographics, so it doesn't surprise that you love Texas and it's history so much. I'm still on the fence as to whether or not I'm moving to Houston.
Though you really know very little about me, and you know what they say about people who assume - let's just say that there are many people across many demographic groups, many of which are quite different from the others, who love living in Texas.

But like I said, if you dislike so much about any place (not just Texas), it's best not to move there - for you, and for others who may otherwise find themselves in close proximity to you and your intense dislike.

Old 04-24-2015, 05:00 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
It's not a matter of agreeing or disagreeing. Most Texas cities generally have a very negative reputation around the U.S. Here, I'll provide some data for you.

POLL: How Americans Feel About The States - Business Insider

Most Americans Hate Texas and Want Texas Kicked Out of America – According to a Recent Poll

Atlanta vs. Houston | Atlanta | Yelp

And here are some CD threads.... Do Texas cities ever fair well when being compared to other major cities?

//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...s-angeles.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...nt-nation.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...-portland.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...ty-do-you.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...ser-first.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...dallas-tx.html

Holy Crap!! Dallas won one!

//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...fessional.html

^^ I actually agree. I would choose DFW over Phoenix, but that's not saying much....
Your first two links link to the same single poll. Your third link is to an online discussion group - hardly scientific. Heck, I can find an online discussion group extolling the positives of child molestation or the negatives of puppies.

Which leads me to your other "city data proof." City Data is interesting but it's hardly a scientific study, nor is it even close to being an accurate portrayal of any group in the world - except, of course, C-D regulars - aka armchair warriors (and I'm including you and me in that description).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.