Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 05:06 PM

779 posts, read 927,824 times

Advertisements

I use to live in DFW and I hated it with a passion. I moved away and recently visited the state again, but different cities this time (San Antonio, Austin, Houston). Out of those cities I liked Houston the best, and I've been offered a job there that pays well and that's just a few miles away from an apartment that I was looking at and really liked.

The thing is, it's Texas... I really hate Texas, the people, the drivers, the weather, the Texas flags that are obnoxiously plastered all of the damn place, the history, pretty much everything Texas stands for...

But it's practical with it's cost of living and good job market.... Does anyone know what I'm talking about and have you ever been in a similar situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 05:11 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,470,242 times
I grew up in OH I didn't love it, didn't really hate it, just okay for me. I have lived in 7 states including Texas I have moved around quite a bit. I can understand the situation, it is tough to live somewhere you don't want to live in. I tend to get bored with a place and move on to a different state, I like to try new places. Life is too short to be unhappy in a place you hate. By the way I actually loved living in TX, I loved the friendly outgoing nature of the people, just didn't love their hot humid weather.

Old 04-20-2015, 05:21 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times
Sounds like the typical life of a person who moves to Baltimore.

Old 04-20-2015, 05:51 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongNote View Post
I use to live in DFW and I hated it with a passion. I moved away and recently visited the state again, but different cities this time (San Antonio, Austin, Houston). Out of those cities I liked Houston the best, and I've been offered a job there that pays well and that's just a few miles away from an apartment that I was looking at and really liked.

The thing is, it's Texas... I really hate Texas, the people, the drivers, the weather, the Texas flags that are obnoxiously plastered all of the damn place, the history, pretty much everything Texas stands for...

But it's practical with it's cost of living and good job market.... Does anyone know what I'm talking about and have you ever been in a similar situation?
I moved to OKC during the recession.

While I was barely scraping by in a miserable, dead-end job in my old city, I now have a great job, nice place to live, very nice car, and am near family. On paper, this was absolutely the best, most practical decision. However, I am even more miserable now because I strongly dislike virtually everything about OKC. I am also now trapped here for the foreseeable future. Looking back it was probably the worst decision I could have made.

If you hate Texas and don't believe there is any way you could like it, don't move to Houston because you very well might be miserable and may find yourself trapped.

Old 04-20-2015, 06:10 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,666,000 times
I recently left DFW to move to the East Coast. I too struggled with the "practicality" of staying vs. leaving Dallas, but eventually gave in to my heart that was telling me to leave. I would highly advise not to move to Houston either. The cities are too similar to "hate" one but like the other. Once the novelty of the move wears off, then you're still stuck in TX. I also considered a move to Houston, but after spending time there I found no compelling reason to do so.

Old 04-22-2015, 02:13 PM

779 posts, read 927,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely40 View Post
I recently left DFW to move to the East Coast. I too struggled with the "practicality" of staying vs. leaving Dallas, but eventually gave in to my heart that was telling me to leave. I would highly advise not to move to Houston either. The cities are too similar to "hate" one but like the other. Once the novelty of the move wears off, then you're still stuck in TX. I also considered a move to Houston, but after spending time there I found no compelling reason to do so.
I disagree, Houston is like DFW meets Los Angeles and makes a fat baby. I definitely consider Houston to be better than DFW and to be different enough for a person to prefer one over the other.

Old 04-22-2015, 02:44 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
Even though nowadays I find it to be a meh place to live, I called DFW home for 12 years simply because it was a place with a lot of jobs and cheap houses. Would I move back to Texas now? Not on your life. I'll gladly pay a little more to have the Rockies out my back door and be in a place where I can actually enjoy life outside of the rat race.

Old 04-22-2015, 04:00 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,620,293 times
I've done it when I had to.

Personally I'd take a deep breath and step back and consider Houston in and of itself, and not the amorphous political blob that is "Texas identity."

I mean, for me, Texas is largely off the table because the climate would kill me. But even though the "idea" of Texas sometimes rubs me wrong (and other times is completely humorous
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt8rs_0XLyg), if it weren't for the climate, sure, I'd give it a serious thought.

And if you do take the job, don't go into it expecting you'll hate it, or talking about the things you know you're going to hate, as that almost certainly becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy as your attention lingers on the negatives. Focus on the things about it you do like. BBQ! gulf coast bikinis/speedos! Saving lots of money that you can use to retire early to someplace glorious!

Old 04-22-2015, 06:27 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,903,148 times
I lived in Pittsburgh PA for work and can tell you those where the worst two years of my life. The lesson I learned is to never move somewhere solely for a job and do thorough research before moving. Making good money means nothing if your not happy with your living situation. Best of luck you if decide to move to Houston.

Last edited by ATUMRE75; 04-22-2015 at 07:04 PM..

Old 04-23-2015, 02:01 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,657,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongNote View Post

It depends on your priorities.

If home ownership and saving for retirement are your top priorities, then Texas is a sensible choice due to its strong job market and relatively high salaries given the generally low COL. However, if outdoor recreational opportunities, jaw-dropping scenery, generally comfortable weather, and a progressive populace/culture are your priorities, then Texas would be a very poor fit.

Since my priorities fall into the latter category, Texas just didn't work for me. I lived in DFW for a year in the recent past due to a temporary corporate assignment, and like you, I also detested the place, especially the weather, scenery, culture, and politics.

The drivers, while nowhere near as courtesy and sensible as drivers in Arizona or California, were still "better" than drivers in the Northeast and Florida, where I lived for a total of 30 years, collectively. Plus, my commute to work was relatively short, so I was able to at least compartmentalize that aspect of Texas living.

Prior to living in Texas, I lived in two former Confederate states (Florida and Georgia), so by the time I got to Texas, I was fairly desensitized to the history of the state. In other words, it didn’t really bother me. In fact, I found the history of Texas to be among the most intriguing of any state in the nation, especially the pioneer and sovereignty aspects.

With regard to the people issue, I will only partially agree with you. Generally speaking, the people in DFW really leave a LOT to be desired. Out of the six metro areas in which I've lived, I've never had the displeasure of living among and interacting with a collective group of people as pretentious, materialistic, and judgmental as people in suburban DFW. However, outside of the DFW, people in Texas are generally polite, friendly, laid-back, and welcoming, at least in my experience. This includes Houston.

However, to answer your initial question -- no, I don't think it's practical to sacrifice health and well-being, safety, and happiness to live someplace that leaves a lot to be desired such Dallas or Houston because it's "practical." Moreover, I would never, ever live someplace I "hated" based on previous experience or exposure. I lived in South Florida for 12 years, and I absolutely hated living there, so therefore, I would never, ever move back.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.