Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 02:21 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,959,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
If you think Seattle is rainy then you have no knowledge about climate. It's not even in the top 10 in the US. And Chicago is as wet as stats show. There many places in the US with better climate than Seattle, but Chicago and most of the Midwest are not one of those places. So, I am a Seattle weather worshipper, but you both are not Chicago weather worshippers? I don't know why you even mentioned Flagstaff, AZ since it has 100 times better weather than Chicago.
Seattle's rainfall total isnt high, but its days of rain/mist/overcast are the highest in the nation. It doesnt take a genius to figure out thats what we're referring to.

I mentioned Flagstaff because you said "its in the 40s in Chicago right now and windy." I mentioned its below freezing in Flagstaff, but overall Flag's weather is quite nice most of the year. I was illustrating the fact that it doesnt matter what the temp is on any given day in any given city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 02:49 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,729,849 times
Yep, in the PNW it isn't about the total rainfall but more about the dreary overcast days that dominate the fall and winter seasons. I lived in Portland for a few years and yeah it keeps things green but not being able to plan much outdoors really puts a damper on things.

It never really rains super hard, just enough to annoy you

Old 05-21-2015, 06:12 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,733,562 times
It really just comes down to what your preferences are. If you like hot weather and need lots of sunshine, then obviously Seattle would be a poor choice. If you're like me and hate hot weather and sunshine, then Phoenix is horrible. Actually, one reason I chose my current town over Seattle or Portland is because those cities are a bit warmer than I'd prefer!

Old 05-21-2015, 06:59 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,594,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
It really just comes down to what your preferences are. If you like hot weather and need lots of sunshine, then obviously Seattle would be a poor choice. If you're like me and hate hot weather and sunshine, then Phoenix is horrible. Actually, one reason I chose my current town over Seattle or Portland is because those cities are a bit warmer than I'd prefer!
OMG I would absolutely love to be in the PNW! I hate like over 75 degrees, this is worst place possible here in Phx. It's too damn hot 10 months out of the year!

Old 05-21-2015, 08:07 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,193,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Its enough to drive ya nuts, isnt it?!?! Its even worse hearing it from those ex-Chicago bozos here in AZ. You should hear all the ex-Chicagoans saying stuff like "oh the weather sucked, it was gray and clouds for 8 straight months, with hundreds of inches of snow!" I just wanna do some elbow drops on these fools for being so ignorant and stupid. Even worse are the people who theyre talking to responding with things like "oh my goodness, thats horrible. I hear that about Chicago from everyone. Why would anyone want to live there?"

Meanwhile theyre saying this will standing in 115 degree heat here in Phoenix.
And how 80 degree heat, 35-65% humidity (heat index from 80-90) is too much but 115f heat with 15-35% humidity (heat index of 110-122) feels wonderful. Two things wrong with that statement.
1) the heat index is the body heat stress variable determined by the heat and humidity. So a dry heat with a heat index of 90 feels the same as a 90f heat index of a humid 85f temp.
2) I lived in a desert city with hot, dry heat. It's actually painful to stand outside. My shoes would stick to the pavement. I was constantly thirsty, I would get soaked in sweat in a very short time. My fingers would crinkle like as if i were in a tub of water for too long. And it was like this for more than a half a year. I can never imagine a non-desert US location that would have a more painful climate. Even Miami, Houston, San Antonio.

Old 05-21-2015, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahahonors View Post
And how 80 degree heat, 35-65% humidity (heat index from 80-90) is too much but 115f heat with 15-35% humidity (heat index of 110-122) feels wonderful. Two things wrong with that statement.
1) the heat index is the body heat stress variable determined by the heat and humidity. So a dry heat with a heat index of 90 feels the same as a 90f heat index of a humid 85f temp.
2) I lived in a desert city with hot, dry heat. It's actually painful to stand outside. My shoes would stick to the pavement. I was constantly thirsty, I would get soaked in sweat in a very short time. My fingers would crinkle like as if i were in a tub of water for too long. And it was like this for more than a half a year. I can never imagine a non-desert US location that would have a more painful climate. Even Miami, Houston, San Antonio.
I lived in Biloxi MS too, it was hot and sweaty but nothing like here. People drive me effing nuts how they downplay the brutal heat. The worst part is the lack of relief. 105 degree nights after 110 degree days. I get a little crazier each summer, I'm only going into my 3rd lol

Old 05-22-2015, 03:30 AM

3,696 posts, read 2,893,180 times
Hot, dry and sunny is pure torture for me--Phoenix, Arizona would be horrible. Summer temperatures should not go much above 80 though I can live with the periodic 85 degree day. I like humidity since my skin starts flaking off without it and I end up with nosebleeds in a dry climate. A lack of rain would also be bad, as I enjoy gardening and also just like the feeling of rain and watching/listening to a good thunderstorm.

I have read about SAD--seasonal affective disorder--the condition where some individuals feel depressed due to the lack of sunlight. I believe I have the opposite of SAD. I get out of sorts when I see the sun too much--a few times in a month is enough for me and then preferably, it will be only partly sunny.

Places where the temperature and seasons do not vary-Honolulu, Hawaii would also not be a good climate for me. I love to see the autumn colors and also love snow. Lots and lots of snow--and then the change to Spring. I couldn't imagine living in a climate where there was no seasonal changes.

Good places for me to live would be Erie, PA; Syracuse, NY; Buffalo, NY; Pittsburgh, PA & Cleveland, OH since there are plenty of clouds, snow, rain, humidity, and a definite change of seasons. I think Syracuse and Buffalo would be the best based on my love of snow as they both average over 10 feet annually.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:59 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,526,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
I have read about SAD--seasonal affective disorder--the condition where some individuals feel depressed due to the lack of sunlight. I believe I have the opposite of SAD. I get out of sorts when I see the sun too much--a few times in a month is enough for me and then preferably, it will be only partly sunny.
Same here. I grew up in northern Door County WI, which is basically an island out in Lake Michigan. I've tried to explain to people when I've lived south and inland (like Madison) that 85 degrees was as hot as it got, and it was considered a blistering day, especially if it was humid. Also rarely ever felt anything below zero, as extremes were moderated. So anyway, if it was a 95 degree day and I complained people would always say, "what, you've never been in a summer before?" And I'd have to explain that 95 was absolutely unheard of for the first couple decades of my life. And they generally didn't believe me, so I'd show average temps for my hometown and they'd get it. Also got cloudy/rainy/foggy and snowed a ton. Perfect climate for me, though I would never live through another winter there, as there's literally nothing to do as all the businesses close down until the tourists come back.

If it's hot/sunny a bunch of days in a row, I just want a dark room and some air conditioning.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
Hot, dry and sunny is pure torture for me--Phoenix, Arizona would be horrible. Summer temperatures should not go much above 80 though I can live with the periodic 85 degree day. I like humidity since my skin starts flaking off without it and I end up with nosebleeds in a dry climate. A lack of rain would also be bad, as I enjoy gardening and also just like the feeling of rain and watching/listening to a good thunderstorm.

Places where the temperature and seasons do not vary-Honolulu, Hawaii would also not be a good climate for me. I love to see the autumn colors and also love snow. Lots and lots of snow--and then the change to Spring. I couldn't imagine living in a climate where there was no seasonal changes.

Good places for me to live would be Erie, PA; Syracuse, NY; Buffalo, NY; Pittsburgh, PA & Cleveland, OH since there are plenty of clouds, snow, rain, humidity, and a definite change of seasons. I think Syracuse and Buffalo would be the best based on my love of snow as they both average over 10 feet annually.
My experience in Phoenix is as follows:

Summers are depressing here, until the monsoon storms roll in which I love. Hell like March- November are depressing and generally too hot!

I had almost daily massive nosebleeds where the only solution was to stand over a bathroom sink until it was done bleeding. They stopped happening after I was here for about 6 months.

My knuckles and elbows kind of got grey and stayed that way. They used to be so dry that bumping them caused bleeding. Since I started using lotion is isn't that bad anymore.

I also like variety, I have never really lived in a snowy climate but do spend a lot of time in snow since I work statewide in AZ. I think I would really like to live in Flagstaff. Such a cool city with a pretty nice climate. I have been in the Phoenix Area for a little over 2 years. I came after a great job opportunity came up. The cost of living is so much cheaper than my home town that I kind of went with it. I wouldn't mind living here if the climate didn't have to be the exact opposite of ideal for me. You and I seem to have very very very similar tastes. Do your self a favor and never move to the desert. That being said Arizona is quite nice at 5,000+ feet in elevation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.