Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2008, 04:58 PM

4 posts, read 10,542 times

Advertisements

Hey all, I live in Northeastern Pennsylvania and while I wouldn't call the outdoors scene here 'dead', there's not really a whole lot of interest in outdoor recreation as far as hiking, snowshoeing, kayaking, etc. (I have no idea why since there are so many awesome places here.) There are some people who do outdoors activities, but they seem to keep to themselves. I find it very hard to find a group of outdoors enthusiasts in there 20s/30s. Most groups are mainly comprised of people in there retirement years. And, there's nothing wrong with that, however I'd like to meet some people my age. Anyway, I'm trying to figure out if this is just how it is everywhere or if maybe in other areas there are alot more group activities and events. If anyone has been to Northeastern Pennsylvania and can give me their perception on how it is here and how it compares to other places, that would be great btw. But all comments are appreciated

Last edited by mrclean; 01-17-2008 at 05:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 05:19 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,313,513 times
Truth be told, no matter where you go, those that enjoy the outdoors will be in vastly smaller numbers than those that dont enjoy the outdoors. With that being said, I think Denver rates really high on the list of places where people are out all year long enjoying what nature has to offer. You should also do a search online for kayaking groups or skiing groups in your area. PA has some wonderful terrain, Id be led to believe that there are LOTS of people who enjoy your mountains and rivers, etc.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:10 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,344,114 times
To put a positive spin on it...one nice thing about NE Pennsylvania is that you won't find as much traffic on the trails and rivers because there are so few outdoor enthusiasts (and even fewer who travel to NEPA to partake in outdoor activities). Whereas in places like Denver and Seattle, outdoor recreation is much more ingrained in the social fabric so you have fewer opportunities to find true solitude close to the city. Plus, nearby national parks like Mount Ranier and RMNP (Seattle and Denver, respectively) attract plenty of non-local visitors from elsewhere in the U.S., further increasing traffic. Of course, if you are looking more to socialize with others who share your passion for the outdoors, you will certainly find more kindred spirits out west in places like Seattle and Denver.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:31 PM

4 posts, read 10,542 times
Thanks for the comments guys.

Yeah, I recognize the fact that NEPA is not the all out most popular place for outdoors people and can appreciate the positive of that as well. But as you mentioned, the other side of that means that its tougher to meet others with the same interests.

I absolutely want to take a trip out to Colorado sometime and definitely the west coast, OR, WA, northern CA.

I am wondering if there is somewhere closer to Pennsylvania that has an enthusiastic outdoors community. Maybe somewhere I can drive to occasionally.

Old 01-18-2008, 04:38 AM

38 posts, read 76,847 times
"There are some people who do outdoors activities, but they seem to keep to themselves. I find it very hard to find a group of outdoors enthusiasts in there 20s/30s. "

Exactly how it is unfortunately and yes, it is ironic for NEPA does have the terrain for it. In contrast, a few years ago I had a job opportunity come out of nowhere for the Charlotte, NC area and within about half an hour I had found an outdoors social group (choa.com or org, I believe - would have to search probably) and had made contact with individuals via a website for mountainbiking in which I inquired about trails. Now, Charlotte has the National Whitewater Center as well. To me this is incredibly ironic for if one has been to visit or lived in both locales they would understand the contrast of the urban vs. more rural nature of NEPA. On the other hand, as another poster pointed out, the plus side of all this is that you can always find a parking spot!!

Old 01-18-2008, 04:47 AM

38 posts, read 76,847 times
. I find it very hard to find a group of outdoors enthusiasts in there 20s/30s. Most groups are mainly comprised of people in there retirement years. "

Actually, this is one result of the poor job market (or perhaps as some posters insinuate, the image of a poor job market) since the younger folks leave thereby lowering the sheer volume of possible outdoor participants.

I will say this though, you really only need one other person to do stuff with in order to change your whole perception of NEPA. Unfortunately, if one peruses the website: Fitness Singles, fitness dating, fitness personals one can't help but compare the number of single outdoor enthusiasts in this area to other areas and ironically enough, yes the differences are staggering!!!! Well, have to cut this short.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:34 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,561,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrclean View Post
Hey all, I live in Northeastern Pennsylvania and while I wouldn't call the outdoors scene here 'dead', there's not really a whole lot of interest in outdoor recreation as far as hiking, snowshoeing, kayaking, etc. (I have no idea why since there are so many awesome places here.) There are some people who do outdoors activities, but they seem to keep to themselves. I find it very hard to find a group of outdoors enthusiasts in there 20s/30s. Most groups are mainly comprised of people in there retirement years. And, there's nothing wrong with that, however I'd like to meet some people my age. Anyway, I'm trying to figure out if this is just how it is everywhere or if maybe in other areas there are alot more group activities and events. If anyone has been to Northeastern Pennsylvania and can give me their perception on how it is here and how it compares to other places, that would be great btw. But all comments are appreciated
Having been to NE PA, I am surprised to hear there aren't any outdoor enthusiasts, since you have such beautiful outdoors so close by! Here in MN there are lots of outdoor enthusiasts. No mountains here, but lots of forests, lakes and rivers.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:37 PM

266 posts, read 910,692 times
I found that when I lived in the DC area--even though it's not considered an "outdoorsy" area--there were a ton of clubs, if you looked for them, that engaged in all kinds of activities--hiking, sailing, biking, kayaking, etc.--and most of these clubs seemed to attract younger people (or often, if there were older people, they were single). It's just that DC has a lot of active people, a lot of young people, and a lot of single people.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:41 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,611,161 times
Try Denver/Boulder. Lots of skiing, hiking clubs. Also easy to meet other people who like to do these activities, as well as snowshoeing, kayaking, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.