Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 11:17 AM

1,227 posts, read 1,592,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Well it's easier to have a "better" and more robust recovery when you busted and fell much harder.
I totally misread that. I have such a gutter brain.

I was about to say that the West Coast also fell further after the 2008 credit crash. However, I believe that we recovered most of those jobs back by 2013 (Except for LA, we always mess things up).

Don't quote me on it though. The way you phrased it sounds so much cooler haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 01:25 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,962,707 times
Probably mostly either returning STEM or part time low wage jobs. Truth is if you don't have a college degree, it's pretty much impossible to live in the West unless you live in the Central Valley of California or a few towns like Eugene, or you just have a really low quality of life in general consisting of ramen and ghetto life with roommates.

Old 04-30-2015, 04:04 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,435,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
Probably mostly either returning STEM or part time low wage jobs. Truth is if you don't have a college degree, it's pretty much impossible to live in the West unless you live in the Central Valley of California or a few towns like Eugene, or you just have a really low quality of life in general consisting of ramen and ghetto life with roommates.
Added to that: or if you don't have the "right" college degree. There are more varied job opportunities in the East Coast and more varied COL lifestyles in which people can live comfortably that doesn't have to be dining on Ramen every night.

Old 04-30-2015, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Added to that: or if you don't have the "right" college degree. There are more varied job opportunities in the East Coast and more varied COL lifestyles in which people can live comfortably that doesn't have to be dining on Ramen every night.
Yeah, to live on the West Coast basically means three choices: IT, medical school, or perpetual poverty.

Old 04-30-2015, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Quote:
Yeah, to live on the West Coast basically means three choices: IT, medical school, or perpetual poverty.
Did I somehow miss the memo on this? I'm nowhere close to poverty, and I'm not in the medical or technology field.

Is everyone on CD really that financially irresponsible? What the **** do you all spend your money on?

Old 04-30-2015, 04:48 PM

591 posts, read 819,679 times
Quote:
If you can't cut it out West, I really don't think packing up and moving to the Northeast will solve all your problems, regardless of what industry you are in or want to be in.

Old 05-01-2015, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapper23 View Post
If you can't cut it out West, I really don't think packing up and moving to the Northeast will solve all your problems, regardless of what industry you are in or want to be in.
It wouldn't be a panacea, but it's not like the West Coast is the best economy in the world. It's much easier to make it pretty much everywhere else in the US.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:48 AM

3,121 posts, read 3,094,163 times
I'm beginning to notice a trend. Most of the people complaining about Portland and other west coast cities being expensive seem to be folks who probably wouldn't be contributing much to a growing economy anyways.

Sadly, this includes myself.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:08 AM

Quote:
It wouldn't be a panacea, but it's not like the West Coast is the best economy in the world. It's much easier to make it pretty much everywhere else in the US.
What's "making it"?

Making it for someone without a high school diploma is different than someone who has their professional degree.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:01 AM

1,424 posts, read 2,486,784 times
I wouldn't be surprised if the SF Bay Area is doing most of the heavy lifting in terms of job growth for the West Coast. It's only now really starting to recuperate out in SoCal, but not Bay Area status. I can't speak for Seattle, but I haven't met many people that speak positively for job prospects in Portland. I want to move there for school, but I also want a graduate school where I can make connections and establish roots and know I'll have a job. Perhaps I'll stay in California.

Also, NO, we are not just tech, medical field and poverty. We have some of the largest creative industries anywhere in the country out here, not to mention the most important port for international trade with Asia-Pacific region in North America, in Los Angeles/Long Beach. Y'all must live 2 dimensional lives in 2 dimensional places. Sorry, but the West Coast doesn't have time for your tropes, we are too dynamic for that (so is the East Coast for that matter).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.