Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 03:19 PM

5 posts, read 5,726 times

Advertisements

I am an introvert. I don't like being around people. I love the outdoors and having to walk or drive to be able to see grass or trees or sky will slowly kill me, so no big cities please. I was born and raised in a house in the middle of a forest in Indiana. I want the ratio of concrete : nature to be at least 50:50. :P I am also trying to find cities east of the Mississippi because my parents still live in said Indiana-forest-house, and as they get older and their health declines I want to be able to visit them for holidays without having to spend my entire paycheck to get to them.

I currently live in Wheat Ridge, CO and I hate it because of the never ending traffic, the numerous illegal immigrants, and the useless potheads that aggravate my asthma with their constant smoking. It is beautiful out here, but there's not much else I see as positive.

So yeah, I'm sure this sounds like I am a huge jerk but I promise I am not. Living out here is just wearing on me, and my partner will not shut up about Portland, OR but I refuse to move that far from my family because it would make visiting them nearly impossible. He has no ties to his family so he doesn't understand my desire to visit mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 05:03 PM

12 posts, read 13,097 times
Look into the Appalachia mountains along the TN/NC border.North Carolina has higher taxes.Tennessee is cheaper.Look at Erwin,Elizabethton, Hampton and Mountain city(Tennessee).

Old 03-26-2015, 05:13 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,523,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkyy View Post
I am an introvert. I don't like being around people. I love the outdoors and having to walk or drive to be able to see grass or trees or sky will slowly kill me, so no big cities please. I was born and raised in a house in the middle of a forest in Indiana. I want the ratio of concrete : nature to be at least 50:50. :P I am also trying to find cities east of the Mississippi because my parents still live in said Indiana-forest-house, and as they get older and their health declines I want to be able to visit them for holidays without having to spend my entire paycheck to get to them.

I currently live in Wheat Ridge, CO and I hate it because of the never ending traffic, the numerous illegal immigrants, and the useless potheads that aggravate my asthma with their constant smoking. It is beautiful out here, but there's not much else I see as positive.

So yeah, I'm sure this sounds like I am a huge jerk but I promise I am not. Living out here is just wearing on me, and my partner will not shut up about Portland, OR but I refuse to move that far from my family because it would make visiting them nearly impossible. He has no ties to his family so he doesn't understand my desire to visit mine.
There is a lot of missing information here.

From what I highlighted, I'm assuming you're conservative? Is this true and/or are you looking to live in a conservative area?

If so, anywhere in the Appalachians would work. Somewhere near Charleston, West Virginia would put you within a few hours from Indiana. Jobs are limited around there. This may or may not be a good suggestion depending on what you do for work.

You use the term "partner," which is usually used by people in same-sex relationships. Are you in a same-sex relationship, and do you need to live somewhere that's gay-friendly?

If you're looking for someplace conservative and gay-friendly, I'm thinking Western or Central New York. Maybe someplace between Syracuse and Rochester, in the Finger Lakes Region would be ideal. That would put your about 11 or 12 hours from Indiana. Somewhere like Fredonia, New York might work well for you too.

Is your partner coming with you, and in that case do you need to find someplace that's kind of like Portland (I'm assuming Oregon) too?

In this case, Burlington, Vermont might be a good compromise, but at this point you're looking at 14 or 15 hour drive from Indiana, which might be a little too much. Suburban Rochester could be a good compromise between the two of you as well. Knoxville, Tennessee or Asheville, North Carolina could work--from what I've heard--but I've never visited either city myself.

Old 03-26-2015, 05:58 PM

5 posts, read 5,726 times
I am actually not really conservative at all. I'm very anti-gun and very pro-choice. I am a vegetarian and am also non-religious. I have a BS in Biology and one of my specializations was evolution. I just don't like my right to breathe being infringed upon by people who think it's okay to smoke everywhere now that it's legal, and tell me to "chill out" or "relax" when I could easily end up in the hospital because of their selfish choices (I have been battling severe respiratory issues for 2 years now.) Sometimes I feel like the only person living here who doesn't smoke.

Nor do I like people who cannot function in society without their 7 year old kid there to translate everything for them. If I had a dollar for every time I conducted business with a child acting as a representative for their family, I'd be able to live wherever I wanted. It worries me that it is so prevalent out here. If I weren't such a patient or kind person, I could easily rip the whole family off by taking advantage of them since their sole English-speaker can barely tie his own shoes. (And for the record, yes, I do know Spanish.)

My use of the word partner just means that we have been living together for many years, but are not married. I think in Indiana, after so many years, they call it common-law or some-such nonsense. He is mired in massive amounts of student loan debt which he has no intention of ever paying off, and I don't wish to hitch my horse to that carriage, so to speak, after having worked for many years to pay off all of my loans and become debt-free. That, and neither of us are religious, and find marriage ceremonies rather silly affairs. If I move somewhere, he will likely have to follow, as I am the breadwinner of our little "family." I am trying to take his desires into mind when looking at new places to live, so as to hopefully minimize the near-daily "I want to move to Portland" whining I have to endure whenever I suggest a place that is not Portland.

Again, I promise, I may sound like an awful person but I am just rather blunt. I have become rather jaded and no longer sugarcoat things for people.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:01 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,477,499 times
You would love Eastern Kentucky

Old 03-26-2015, 06:50 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,824,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkyy View Post

What about the other Portland? Is Maine too far?

If you want to stay close to Indiana, how about the Louisville, KY area? I know a lot of Kentucky can be conservative and Bible Belt but everything I know about Louisville points it to being a fairly progressive place.

Old 03-26-2015, 07:07 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,055,607 times
Michigan, Upper Peninsula

Old 03-26-2015, 07:19 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,602,089 times
St. Paul

Old 03-27-2015, 07:45 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,523,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
St. Paul
If the OP doesn't like immigrants, she's not going to like St. Paul. Hmong, Mexicans, Somalis.

Old 03-27-2015, 06:10 PM

96 posts, read 136,147 times
What kind of weather and landscape do you prefer? What kind of work do you do? Those factors might help narrow it down. It sounds to me that you might simply prefer a more rural environment, which can be found in many states east of the Mississippi...

NH comes to my mind, as a pretty "live and let live" kind of place. Beautiful, too. Maine, also, if that is not too far away from your family and if you can find a job there. I currently live in Wisconsin, which might also work, depending on your preferences.

What is it about Portland, OR that appeals to your partner? If you can figure that out, it might help us steer you to a comparable place somewhere else closer to your parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.