Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2015, 10:03 AM

3 posts, read 1,734 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone! Im new to this forum. I have a few questions and am looking for any feedback.

Im from NY born and raised here. NY has become impossible to live, it is literally pay check to paycheck. And honestly im just ready for a change. Im looking to move to the more southern states but i am open to suggestions.

Some of the most important factors for me are

Save neighborhoods
Good Schools
job availability (im currently a secretary so office work)
Multi cultural areas a must! We are a mixed family (Black and Italian) So wherever we move I want to be welcomed and safe. I dont mind suburbs/country but i would like to be near a city or some life

Some places I was considering are Florida, North Carolina and Virginia

I am not stuck on these areas, im open to suggestions.

But if anyone could give me towns in states that they highly recommend that would be fanstastic

thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 10:12 AM

27,200 posts, read 43,896,295 times
I'd highly recommend Chapel Hill-Carrboro NC. It's part of the Raleigh/Durham metro and has easy accessibility to job centers in Durham like Research Triangle Park and Duke University/Duke University Medical Centers as well as the University of North Carolina/UNC Hospitals in Chapel Hill. The Chapel Hill-Carrboro Public School System is the highest rated school district in North Carolina and both towns offer lots of safe/fairly affordable neighborhoods. Both have highly-educated and progressive populations who won't think twice about interracial couples. I lived there for several years and absolutely loved the area for it's amenities and nice people.

http://www.chccs.k12.nc.us/site_res_...9-80ebdf1c2bf2

Old 04-30-2015, 10:44 AM

93,281 posts, read 123,898,066 times
What else are you looking for? Schools? Walkability? Budget? Weather?

Also, where in NY would you be coming from, as the state varies in terms of COL and you may have options within the state that fit.

Old 04-30-2015, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I'd highly recommend Chapel Hill-Carrboro NC. It's part of the Raleigh/Durham metro and has easy accessibility to job centers in Durham like Research Triangle Park and Duke University/Duke University Medical Centers as well as the University of North Carolina/UNC Hospitals in Chapel Hill. The Chapel Hill-Carrboro Public School System is the highest rated school district in North Carolina and both towns offer lots of safe/fairly affordable neighborhoods. Both have highly-educated and progressive populations who won't think twice about interracial couples. I lived there for several years and absolutely loved the area for it's amenities and nice people.

Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools - About

Thank you so much I'll def look into it!
It's so hard moving away from your comfort. Especially with my kids theres so much to consider before moving. I cant just pick up and go.

Thank you again

Old 04-30-2015, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What else are you looking for? Schools? Walkability? Budget? Weather?

Also, where in NY would you be coming from, as the state varies in terms of COL and you may have options within the state that fit.
I'm coming from Rockland County its a suburb area.
I drive so i dont have to be near public transportation, i would LOVe warm weather all year round! After the winters we've had I'm over it!! The schools have to be good! Not known for too much bullying/gangs, however I know all schools have some kind of bullying its hard to prevent that. But I just want the transition to be as easy as possible. Esp for my son who is 7.
Rent in my area now for a 3 bedrrom apartment is no less then $2,000 a month. Which I've researched and found Southern states to have more affordable rent.

I'm definently looking to rent for the first year to make sure I've found our "new home"

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.