Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2015, 08:47 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,327,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I agree and think it would be a good idea to move the Seahawks to LA
What have you been smoking???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 11:51 AM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
As long as I can still watch the Seahawks fans' reactions to the Malcom Butler pick on Youtube, I don't car if you move them to Mars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Umm, the national media has finally moved on from the tired Jaguars narrative. I won't say that it's definitely going to happen, but if it does you're looking at the Rams, Chargers or Raiders most likely. Jags are 100% safe in Jax for the next 5 years...probably at least the next 10. My only concern is London if the league finds a way to make Europe work, but we're at least a decade away from that.
5 years (or even 10) isn't a long time for a franchise to be "100% safe" in their location. They're not even at a point where a groundbreaking on an LA stadium is set or even a certainty. In terms of development, 5 years is nothing and the stadium may not even be open by that time. A lot can change in that amount of time. The only thing that won't change is that Jacksonville will remain a small media market which is not something the NFL is keen on. I doubt the Chargers or Raiders go. The Rams may leave. However, even if the Rams go to LA, St. Louis will be looking to fill the void and the Jaguars would be a candidate to be that team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
The owner of the Rams is planning on building a stadium in Inglewood, and there's been whispers that he just might try and move the team without the NFL's approval if it comes down to that.

There's also still hurdles standing in the way of a new staidum in St. Louis, and even the Governor has talked about getting a different team to come to St. Louis if the city ends up losing the Rams in the long run. The city and the state's goal is keeping the Rams if they can, but Kroenke does not want to be in STL at all.
Yeah, it'll be interesting to see how that plays out. It reminds me a little of the Seattle Sonics ownership itching to leave (though LA isn't as tough a sell as OK City).

Old 06-09-2015, 12:00 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,107,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
To sum up all the NBA in Austin talk I think in 5-10 years you'll see the Spurs ownership push for a new stadium off I-35 somewhere between New Braunfels and San Marcos. This would put the team roughly halfway between Austin and San Antonio which would hopefully let them capitalize on the growth of Austin and the overall region without being a complete slap in the face to San Antonio. The change of Austin's NBADL team from the Toros to the Spurs is probably to help ease the transition.

Austin lacks a coliseum and likely won't pay for one (look at the trepidation behind Texas asking the city to foot part of the bill for a new basketball home for the Longhorns), but it already probably has better demographics than San Antonio in terms of available corporate support and disposable income. At the current rate of growth it won't be too many more years before Austin passes San Antonio in pure population for that matter. But if you put it there you lower the bill for any one area while selling this to cities and counties up and down 35 as a potential boon for gas and food sales and can split the cost between a lot so being flat refused by any one city won't be such a killer.

San Antonio is ready for NFL, the city is football crazy and the city has proven itself as a viable market, sellouts for several NFL exhibition games, and a high rating bowl game the, Alamo Bowl. Size an economic strength doesn't seem to be what's hindering the city from landing a team, hopefully the other two NFL team owners in the state don't have an objection when talks are serious for either relocation or expansion.

As it stands, the NFL can't deny that San Antonio is more than ready for NFL and, having Austin it's backyard can only strengthen San Antonio's bid. Austin, is a very strong market but it doesn't have a bigger corporate base than S.A., S.A., has 6 F500 and several F 1000, Austin has two, but it has a very strong tech industry. As far as population growth, Austin could catch up to San Antonio in a few decades, Austin is surely on fire, and it's growth is phenomenal. S.A. is growing exponentially as well.

Old 06-09-2015, 04:31 PM

2,693 posts, read 3,186,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Yeah, it'll be interesting to see how that plays out. It reminds me a little of the Seattle Sonics ownership itching to leave (though LA isn't as tough a sell as OK City).
On that note I will say that I actually like the current plan for the new stadium in St. Louis, and I hope it gets built.

Old 06-09-2015, 04:37 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
Quote:
Clearly you aren't serious.

Old 06-09-2015, 05:00 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,592,405 times
Why won't American sports just adopt a relegation/promotion system like they have in Europe so that every city could have a team?

I'm getting pretty tired of subsidizing billionaires for their fantasy teams.

Old 06-09-2015, 05:44 PM

553 posts, read 615,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
Why won't American sports just adopt a relegation/promotion system like they have in Europe so that every city could have a team?

I'm getting pretty tired of subsidizing billionaires for their fantasy teams.
Unlike in Europe, the club-owning billionaires here are also in control of the sports' governing bodies. They have little reason to introduce the risk of relegation to their teams.

Old 06-09-2015, 07:09 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
On that note I will say that I actually like the current plan for the new stadium in St. Louis, and I hope it gets built.
Yeah, that looks pretty sweet. But in reality, is this even close to happening? Who is going to pay for it? And is it just a bargaining tool at this point? I admit I have not studied this one very closely.

Old 06-09-2015, 07:41 PM

2,693 posts, read 3,186,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Yeah, that looks pretty sweet. But in reality, is this even close to happening? Who is going to pay for it? And is it just a bargaining tool at this point? I admit I have not studied this one very closely.
It's honestly very up in the air.

As for paying for it, the last figures I saw broke it down like this

Stadium: $985 million
*$460 to $535 million from extending the bonds on the Edward Jones Dome and tax credits
*$400 to $450 million from the NFL and the Rams
*$130 million coming from seat licenses

Some 6 Missouri law makers have filed suit in attempt to block the extension of the Jones Dome bonds, but the Governor intends to steamroll over them if he can. He claims they couldn't do anything in the legislature when they had the chance, they're bitter KC Chiefs fans, and that the law is on his side. We shall see though.

As for the part of the city that the stadium would be built, apparently about 50 buildings would need to come down, but all but 3 are vacant.

Old 06-09-2015, 10:04 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
Thanks for the reply. When I visited St. Louis in the 80's I was amazed at the decay. Then I returned in 2012 and found that many of those old neighborhoods were gaining new life. While I am a Seattleite, and yes, a Seahawks fan, I can understand what St. Louis has gone through. I only wish you guys the best. The area still offers many attributes, as in my 2012 trip I centered it more toward the parks in central city. Very beautiful. St. Louis was, and can be a major city again. It just takes the right investors and the right civic point of mind among current residents. While this is a sports thread, I think all this ties together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.