Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2017, 08:47 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
*DFW

And too small...?
If the SF Bay Area can have 6 teams DFW can have 5
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2017, 09:36 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
*DFW

And too small...?
There are only two metro areas in this country that have TWO NBA Teams, Greater Los Angeles (Lakers, Clippers); and Greater New York City (Knicks, Nets). Greater NYC has 22 million people, and Greater LA has 18 million people, while Greater Dallas(Ft Worth) has 7 million. Even greater Chicago with its 10 million people only has one NBA Team (Bulls), so my point stands

Old 11-25-2017, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
If the SF Bay Area can have 6 teams DFW can have 5
The Bay Area is not going to have 6 teams after 2019, the Raiders are moving to Las Vegas, NV for the 2020 Season. So that leaves 5 teams (with one dead man walking). And if you look at the league that the Bay Area will still have two teams in, it's the MLB. There are many more metros with two MLB teams than with two NBA teams.

Two NBA teams:

NYC, LA (that's it)

Two MLB teams:

NYC, LA, Chicago, Bay Area, DC-Baltimore

Old 11-25-2017, 10:01 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
The Bay Area is not going to have 6 teams after 2019, the Raiders are moving to Las Vegas, NV for the 2020 Season. So that leaves 5 teams (with one dead man walking). And if you look at the league that the Bay Area will still have two teams in, it's the MLB. There are many more metros with two MLB teams than with two NBA teams.

Two NBA teams:

NYC, LA (that's it)

Two MLB teams:

NYC, LA, Chicago, Bay Area, DC-Baltimore
That's more because MLB struggles in small markets because of the need to sell ~3x more tickets. Than any other league and the hyper-regionalization of the game. It's actually the NBAs lower need for local resources it that allows it to spread. So actually more cities could support 2 NBA teams than MLB teams but since there are more metros that can support NBA teams than MLB teams there are fewer multi team markets.

Old 11-25-2017, 12:48 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Seattle's vote is city council, not the public.
Yes but nothing to the contrary of that was ever suggested in the first place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
The NBA was really popular here and seems like the main reference when people talk about the arena. Most of us natives would be learning about the NHL from scratch if a team came.
Most people learn about sports from scratch, it's the organic way to learn about sports as it is. The region will probably make those accommodations over time after it gets the NHL team. The NHL can make it work in Seattle, especially if it can in Las Vegas. With the NBA not yet ready to expand and still quite some years away from seriously evaluating those possibilities and the NHL being in position to expand in the next few years (or relocate some teams in the next few years), Seattle has a much higher chance of landing an NHL team than an NBA team.

Although, personally, I want to see the NBA expand by 2 and bring the SuperSonics back. Miss the emerald and gold. The Clippers should honestly move back to San Diego too while we're at it. They're a waste of space in the Staples Center and them getting a new arena of their own in Inglewood would just be a failure over a prolonged period of time. They simply mean nothing to Los Angeles, their fanbase probably has its most rabid supporters out in Orange County and probably San Diego. The Nets are rejects in the New York market too. New York and Los Angeles can definitely support 2 teams each, but both their second teams are failures at creating a localized fanbase that will keep coming back to support them. They'd be better off elsewhere where they are #1 and cherished for being as such.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 11-25-2017 at 01:07 PM..

Old 11-25-2017, 11:40 PM

8,859 posts, read 6,859,567 times
The statement was that a vote was upcoming. That tends to imply a public vote. Obviously it needed clarification at least.

Old 11-26-2017, 08:52 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,330,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
The Clippers should honestly move back to San Diego too while we're at it. They're a waste of space in the Staples Center and them getting a new arena of their own in Inglewood would just be a failure over a prolonged period of time. They simply mean nothing to Los Angeles, their fanbase probably has its most rabid supporters out in Orange County and probably San Diego. The Nets are rejects in the New York market too. New York and Los Angeles can definitely support 2 teams each, but both their second teams are failures at creating a localized fanbase that will keep coming back to support them. They'd be better off elsewhere where they are #1 and cherished for being as such.
The Clips are in that Catch-22, where they will most likely always play second fiddle to the Lakers no matter how good they are and how bad the Lakers are, but I believe Ballmer loves the size of the LA market, and the corporate/advertising dollars.

They obviously need their own arena and not be a renter and third fiddle in the Staples Center. There has been talk of building a new arena in downtown San Diego, possibly near Pecto and the Gaslamp quarter, but I'm not sure if it's going to to be NBA sized and quality. I too feel the Clips can do well moving back to the San Diego market, now that it is the largest market with only one team in the "Big 4" leagues, but I can see Ballmer not liking the smaller TV market and corporate dollars.

Old 11-28-2017, 06:51 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,817,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
The Clips are in that Catch-22, where they will most likely always play second fiddle to the Lakers no matter how good they are and how bad the Lakers are, but I believe Ballmer loves the size of the LA market, and the corporate/advertising dollars.

They obviously need their own arena and not be a renter and third fiddle in the Staples Center. There has been talk of building a new arena in downtown San Diego, possibly near Pecto and the Gaslamp quarter, but I'm not sure if it's going to to be NBA sized and quality. I too feel the Clips can do well moving back to the San Diego market, now that it is the largest market with only one team in the "Big 4" leagues, but I can see Ballmer not liking the smaller TV market and corporate dollars.
I thought San Diego was eyeing the Brooklyn Nets?

Old 11-28-2017, 07:04 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,330,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
I thought San Diego was eyeing the Brooklyn Nets?
I don't think so, not after they spent $1 Billion to build the Barclays Center, which is probably one of the nicest NBA arenas in the entire Association.

Old 11-29-2017, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I don't think so, not after they spent $1 Billion to build the Barclays Center, which is probably one of the nicest NBA arenas in the entire Association.
^This

I would think the NBA teams most ripe for the picking would be Orlando, Memphis or Milwaukee if San Diego is eyeing snatching an existing team
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.