Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2019, 12:39 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,404,996 times

Advertisements

Kansas City deserves an NBA team and/or an NHL team.
Seattle deserves an NBA team.
Portland, OR deserves an MLB team.
Vegas deserves an NBA team (and that is it at the moment).
St Louis deserves an NBA team.
Montreal or Charlotte can fight over an MLB team, both cities deserves one in their own way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2019, 02:32 AM

93,285 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
Kansas City deserves an NBA team and/or an NHL team.
Seattle deserves an NBA team.
Portland, OR deserves an MLB team.
Vegas deserves an NBA team (and that is it at the moment).
St Louis deserves an NBA team.
Montreal or Charlotte can fight over an MLB team, both cities deserves one in their own way.
Except for Charlotte, Portland and Las Vegas, the rest of the cities have had those things at one time.

Old 06-02-2019, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Except for Charlotte, Portland and Las Vegas, the rest of the cities have had those things at one time.
True, but KC has never had an NHL or NBA team before too

Old 06-02-2019, 03:13 AM

93,285 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
True, but KC has never had an NHL or NBA team before too
KC had both. The Kings were in Kansas City from 1972-1985 and the KC Scouts were an expansion NHL team in the mid 1970's that is now the New Jersey Devils. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacram...sas_City_Kings

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansas_City_Scouts

Old 06-02-2019, 09:14 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
KC had both. The Kings were in Kansas City from 1972-1985 and the KC Scouts were an expansion NHL team in the mid 1970's that is now the New Jersey Devils. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacram...sas_City_Kings

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansas_City_Scouts
Not only that, but the Kings started in Rochester, NY as the Rochester Royals

Old 06-02-2019, 10:03 PM

5,731 posts, read 2,192,381 times
I would love to see MLB in Nashville, they should move the Rays there.

Also would like to see the Athletics move to Portland and White sox go to Vegas. They would have much higher ticket sales and fan appreciation, screw the TV market size. I’d like to see relocation before considering expansion to 32 teams. I can’t believe how much of a fail MLB is in Florida

Last edited by ColoradoOnMyMind; 06-02-2019 at 10:13 PM..

Old 06-02-2019, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoOnMyMind View Post

Also would like to see the Athletics move to Portland and White sox go to Vegas. They would have much higher ticket sales and fan appreciation, screw the TV market size. I’d like to see relocation before considering expansion to 32 teams. I can’t believe how much of a fail MLB is in Florida
The White Sox aren't moving, at least any time soon. The team's deal with the city, in which they essentially live at their stadium rent free, doesn't expire until 2030. I have a very good feeling Vegas will already have an MLB team by then, same with Portland. Not only that, the MLB is long overdue for expansion, which means two cities get teams without moving any other team.

Not only that, only a complete fool of an owner would move a team from a 9.5 million media market to a 2 something million city that has zero baseball history. The Sox have played in Chicago longer than over half of the current MLB teams have existed. They aren't going anywhere.

When the Sox win, they sell out the stadium. Not every team can claim that, even when they win. What exactly makes you think Portland or Nashville would appreciate the White Sox more than Chicago, where people already have well established roots with the team / franchise, some for generations??

You also say "screw TV market size". TV deals are where the money is made, not paid attendance, contrary to popular belief. Not only that, merchandise as well. Either way, the idea that Vegas, Charlotte, or wherever else would bring out more physical attendance than in Chicago is nothing other than pure speculation.

Now the Rays, A's, Marlins, Padres, Indians, Mariners, Angels..... those all are a different story.

Last edited by CCrest182; 06-02-2019 at 10:59 PM..

Old 06-02-2019, 11:34 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,775,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoOnMyMind View Post

If the A's are going to move, it will probably be to San Jose where they already have a large fan base. Of course the Giants will make every effort to block the A's from moving to San Jose. The White Sox aren't moving anywhere.

Old 06-03-2019, 05:02 AM

27,202 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDScoop View Post
Indianapolis could use an MLB team. Salt Lake City would support an NFL team. No idea why SLC doesn't have an NFL team, but Green Bay does. I've been to SLC many times. It's pretty friggin big.
Because it's not big enough and Green Bay was an NFL pioneer and never would have made it otherwise. The chopped up Raleigh-Durham CSA has a total of over 2.7 million people which exceeds Charlotte and Nashville's MSAs in population and an 8-year growth rate hovering at 20%, not to mention one of the highest levels of disposable income in the country which is key to a sport where attendance costs are so high. RDU is definitely on the short end of the stick with just one major sports franchise currently (Carolina Hurricanes) and would be an ideal candidate for MLB or the NFL.

Old 06-03-2019, 05:41 AM

5,731 posts, read 2,192,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Because it's not big enough and Green Bay was an NFL pioneer and never would have made it otherwise. The chopped up Raleigh-Durham CSA has a total of over 2.7 million people which exceeds Charlotte and Nashville's MSAs in population and an 8-year growth rate hovering at 20%, not to mention one of the highest levels of disposable income in the country which is key to a sport where attendance costs are so high. RDU is definitely on the short end of the stick with just one major sports franchise currently (Carolina Hurricanes) and would be an ideal candidate for MLB or the NFL.
If not Nashville then I would like to see MLB in Raleigh. It wouldn’t have NFL/NBA to compete with and the Southeast needs another MLB team outside of Atlanta.

Last edited by ColoradoOnMyMind; 06-03-2019 at 05:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.