Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2019, 07:49 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,176,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoOnMyMind View Post
I think MLB in Vegas would fit well, but would it take an expansion to go there? MLB is overly hesitant to relocate franchises. It’s sad seeing the Rays being a top team in the league and not being able to draw 10,000 fans many nights.
Nothing could sound more miserable to me than sitting in the Vegas sun for 3+ hours watching baseball. You certainly lose something if you're under a roof and in air conditioning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Supposedly, they were the next in line for NHL expansion after Las Vegas, but the team was awarded to Seattle instead for some reason
Anyone who actually thought QC was getting a well deserved team over Seattle was kidding themselves. It's as if they've never knew who Gary Bettman is. As a Habs fan I would LOVE to see a team in QC again. I am happy with Seattle though. Any word on a name? I haven't heard anything in a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2019, 07:55 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Albuquerque, NM
City: 545,000 MSA: 900,000 CSA: 1.1million

It could certainly support a major league franchise.
Prolly only a basketball team. But you generally need an MSA of 2 million for pro sports.

Hockey would not generate interest, football is too expensive and stadiums to big, baseball would be a bad investment due to declining attendance and general popularity (despite nice tv ratings)

Old 06-04-2019, 08:03 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Vegas needs an NBA team as does Seattle, that’ll give it 32 teams. Move New Orleans to the Eastern Conference.

Las Vegas Barons
Seattle SuperSonics

Old 06-04-2019, 08:13 AM

12,825 posts, read 22,003,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
Precisely. For instance, the Packers thrive in Green Bay because it's not just supported by Green Bay, in actuality it represents an entire state, and reaches well beyond the borders of WI. In fact, it has one of the largest followings of any professional sports franchise.
Yep, and the NFL more than other sports looks at regional pull rather than just city/metro. The games are destination events more so than than MLB/NFL/NHL games. They happen once per week, mostly on Sunday, and people travel from far/wide to go to them. The Packers are a great example (probably the best in the league). The Patriots truly are the New England Patriots - people drive from all over the region (and beyond, I see plenty of New Brunswick and Quebec plates tailgating).

You get some of that for the other sports, but since they play a lot more games and mostly on weeknights, you're much more reliant on the city/metro market.

Old 06-04-2019, 08:30 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,590,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Nothing could sound more miserable to me than sitting in the Vegas sun for 3+ hours watching baseball. You certainly lose something if you're under a roof and in air conditioning.

Anyone who actually thought QC was getting a well deserved team over Seattle was kidding themselves. It's as if they've never knew who Gary Bettman is. As a Habs fan I would LOVE to see a team in QC again. I am happy with Seattle though. Any word on a name? I haven't heard anything in a while.
A future Las Vegas MLB team would most likely share the new Raiders stadium, which is a dome.

Our team plays in a dome, so do several other teams

Old 06-04-2019, 08:58 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,176,058 times
Quote:
A future Las Vegas MLB team would most likely share the new Raiders stadium, which is a dome.

I'm aware. I live in Milwaukee. It's not the same thing to sit under a roof.

Old 06-04-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
I'm aware. I live in Milwaukee. It's not the same thing to sit under a roof.
As someone who has seen an outdoor game in both Atlanta and Dallas (Braves and Rangers respectively) in July, I prefer the dome to that.

So is your opinion that there shouldn't be baseball in cities that get hot in the summer?

Old 06-04-2019, 09:09 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,815,815 times
I think Rochester NY would have been a great fit for an MLS team. Unfortunately the city screwed everything up and built a stadium in the wrong part of town and now can't even support a top tier minor league team. Honestly I think even now the city could support a MLS team if the stadium was in the right area. To bad it will never happen. Especially with so many other cities vying for a team.

Old 06-04-2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
I think Rochester NY would have been a great fit for an MLS team. Unfortunately the city screwed everything up and built a stadium in the wrong part of town and now can't even support a top tier minor league team. Honestly I think even now the city could support a MLS team if the stadium was in the right area. To bad it will never happen. Especially with so many other cities vying for a team.
I thought Rochester had a soccer team

Old 06-04-2019, 12:54 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,402,578 times
Quote:

Ehhh Idk. Yes of course the both teams need to play in domed/retractable roof arenas due to the oppressively hot Vegas/desert weather, but multi-purpose fields throughout history tend to be pretty big flops (see the Oakland Colosseum). In fact, assuming the A's move to Vegas, they'd be essentially moving from one multi-purpose field to another, which I'm pretty sure was one of the main reasons they want to move in the first place.

I think Vegas would need two separate fields; one for the Raiders, and one for the MLB team, like Detroit has Ford Field and Comerica Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.